British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The First Afghan War (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/first-afghan-war-785219/)

scot47 Jan 26th 2013 6:06 pm

The First Afghan War

I wonder if Tony Blair was told about this by his advisors

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Return-King-...9227112&sr=1-1

Norm_uk Jan 27th 2013 4:01 am

Re: The First Afghan War

Very different really as we went in to invade and make the country part of the Empire. We also put a weak a consummate old fool in charge who didn't listen to his generals from the go. The whole thing could have been put down when things kicked off in Kabul.

Our efforts today are half hearted and ideologically weak. My view is that the Americans need to admit they are an Empire and get on with it. Half liberation half puppet leader sponsorship in the name of democracy doesn't help anyway, us or them.

At least troop loses today are much lower than they were a century and a half ago.

N.

Miss Anne Thrope Jan 27th 2013 6:58 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10507172)
I wonder if Tony Blair was told about this by his advisors

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Return-King-...9227112&sr=1-1

Alexander fought a few battles in Afghanistan (Bactria and Transoxiana). Central Asia at that point already had a fairly well developed civilisation with plenty of competing polities. That's not to mention the Persians (a few times), the Arabs, Genghis Khan, Timur (Tamerlaine), Babur and the Mughals, various Tsarist adventures.... So referring to a minor (in world historical terms) 19th century colonial excursion as "the First Afghan War" (I realise that is what the book does, not the OP) is possibly the most inappropriate naming since, I don't know, Defender of the Faith?

Cypselos Jan 28th 2013 10:53 am

The First Anglo-Afghan War isn't so catchy.

Don't think Dalrymple's guilty of that mistake though?

Flashman is the your best bet for this...

scot47 Jan 28th 2013 10:58 am

I used that thread title to remind our dear readers that we are now on our FOURTH Afghan adventure.

Paracletus Jan 28th 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10507785)
My view is that the Americans need to admit they are an Empire and get on with it.

N.

The country that single handed dismantled the British empire could not confess to such a thing, but yes, perhaps the world would be a better place if they were honest in their intentions. Pax americana is not about to end.

scot47 Jan 28th 2013 12:09 pm

And why, pray tell, does London have to do what Uncle Sam bids ?

Paracletus Jan 29th 2013 12:42 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10510045)
And why, pray tell, does London have to do what Uncle Sam bids ?

Well, not sure. In European context, London is seen as America's lap dog. But Cameron's recent ploy to dangle the carrot of a referendum on EU has propelled him to a hero on the continent and at home in certain circles. Well, he needs a fighting chance in the elections I guess, and it might just be what does it for the Tories.

I've always thought we'd be better just realising we are a European country and get on with it.

Norm_uk Jan 29th 2013 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Cypselos (Post 10509927)
The First Anglo-Afghan War isn't so catchy.

Don't think Dalrymple's guilty of that mistake though?

Damn your eyes man!

N.

Norm_uk Jan 29th 2013 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 10511595)
Well, not sure. In European context, London is seen as America's lap dog. But Cameron's recent ploy to dangle the carrot of a referendum on EU has propelled him to a hero on the continent and at home in certain circles. Well, he needs a fighting chance in the elections I guess, and it might just be what does it for the Tories.

I've always thought we'd be better just realising we are a European country and get on with it.

I have never considered myself European and never will - and only recently have heard such nonsense coming out of the mouths of Britons. We are a queer and peculiar Island race. Europe is full of foreigners who can't use cutlery and chew with their mouths open for heaven's sake. Granted the Germans and Belgians make good beer, and the Spanish are quite friendly but we simply don't need to be in a political union with them to have free trade, shared defence and other close ties.

The EU simply is too undemocratic, too unaccountable, too expensive and keeps telling member states how to run domestic affairs.

Maybe in another 100 years...we can't all unite overnight and shouldn't want to. Unless of course you're advocating we invade and rule them - I'm up for that ;)

N.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 29th 2013 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10511849)
I have never considered myself European and never will - and only recently have heard such nonsense coming out of the mouths of Britons. We are a queer and peculiar Island race. Europe is full of foreigners who can't use cutlery and chew with their mouths open for heaven's sake. Granted the Germans and Belgians make good beer, and the Spanish are quite friendly but we simply don't need to be in a political union with them to have free trade, shared defence and other close ties.

The EU simply is too undemocratic, too unaccountable, too expensive and keeps telling member states how to run domestic affairs.

Maybe in another 100 years...we can't all unite overnight and shouldn't want to. Unless of course you're advocating we invade and rule them - I'm up for that ;)

N.

How do I vote for Norm?

Norm_uk Jan 29th 2013 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10511868)
How do I vote for Norm?

I'm having trouble registering 'The Blind Drunk Forum Ranting Party' for some reason so would suggest voting for UKIP until I get myself up and running ;)

N.

Paracletus Jan 30th 2013 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10511849)

N.

I do agree, on most of it. I wouldn't mind a shared defense though, but common regulation on shape and size of vegetables and such is ridicolous.

Some would argue we are perhaps the most European nation, considering how many times the isles have been invaded.

kimilseung Jan 30th 2013 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Cypselos (Post 10509927)

:thumbsup:

and Josiah Harlan should have had a bigger part in Mountain of Light

scot47 Jan 30th 2013 8:18 am

Now that they have sorted out the Afghans they are off to deal with Mali.
Support our troops - bring them home.