British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Fireworks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/fireworks-698740/)

Blue Cat Jan 1st 2011 6:20 am

Fireworks

Which ones did you see? Sydney were very impressive as usual, Burj al Arab were amazing, Burj Khalifa were good but lacked colour and looked the same as the opening to me :)

Patsy Stoned Jan 1st 2011 6:59 am

Re: Fireworks

Burj Khalifia lovely with the fountains, and totally different to the opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ySToYejUR8

London very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_9bx6U8_0

lionheart Jan 1st 2011 8:24 am

[QUOTE=Patsy Stoned;9070297]Burj Khalifia lovely with the fountains, and totally different to the opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ySToYejUR8

Yes, but much inferior to the Burj Khalifa opening display. As predicted, the actual firework show lasted less than 4minutes and seemed colourless (ie. almost exclusively white/yellow) compared with the much longer opening performance. The pre-midnight fountain show was very nice and was colourful too, but I didn't really enjoy the music, quite dreary compared with the Andrea Bocelli routime they normally use. The fireworks at Festival City on Xmas Eve were easier on the eye, lots of red, green and purple. Still, it was free, so even I cannot really complain too much. :)

Meow Jan 1st 2011 9:04 am

After four minutes of fireworks hasn't everyone seen enough though? Besides the cost is astronomical, so it makes sense to keep it shorter when money is tight.

The fireworks are lovely, but I have seen more fireworks here in the past five years than I saw in the whole of my pre-Dubai life. They are used for every occasion so no longer seem so special.

Jim Smith Jan 1st 2011 10:39 am

[QUOTE=Meow;9070391]After four minutes of fireworks hasn't everyone seen enough though?

Didn't actually see anyfireworks. But when we left the restaurant we were in near the clocktower the BK show had just finished. The smoke was drifting away.

The traffic was horrendous! took about 15 mins to cross Maktoum Bridge and then get up on the Mina Road heading towards Garhoud Br. (Traffic towards Trade Centre was hardly moving!

Then got on begining of Al Ain Road and made slowish progress South East!

Junction towards Za'abeel blocked.
Khail Road exist jammed so headed for Emirates Road and after that fine and got home to Jebel Ali by 01.20. Hate to think what Beach Rd/ Al Wasl Rd and SZR were like!!!

lionheart Jan 2nd 2011 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9070391)
After four minutes of fireworks hasn't everyone seen enough though?

Apparently there were 500,000 people watching the event. It would have taken most of them over an hour to get there and longer to get home, so I think four minutes worth of colourless fireworks is rather insulting, especially for children and especially recognising that buying fireworks here is illegal and so we have to rely completely upon organised public shows.

Madam Medusa Jan 2nd 2011 6:49 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9071850)
Apparently there were 500,000 people watching the event. It would have taken most of them over an hour to get there and longer to get home, so I think four minutes worth of colourless fireworks is rather insulting, especially for children and especially recognising that buying fireworks here is illegal and so we have to rely completely upon organised public shows.

but it wasn't just the fireworks, there was also the fountain display which is coupled with a fire thing...it's great, people love it...and it was free...quit moaning for once...

MM, xx

Millhouse Jan 2nd 2011 7:18 am

After four minutes of fireworks hasn't everyone seen enough though? Besides the cost is astronomical, so it makes sense to keep it shorter when money is tight.

The fireworks are lovely, but I have seen more fireworks here in the past five years than I saw in the whole of my pre-Dubai life. They are used for every occasion so no longer seem so special.

Indeed. The fireworks in AD last year lasted a good 45 mins. I got so bored watching them that I was walking home with them going off behind me!

We see fireworks every friday at global village at the moment, we watch them through the palm trees in our back garden and it looks great - thankfully they only last a minute or so though.

The Dean Jan 2nd 2011 7:23 am

[QUOTE=Jim Smith;9070461]

After four minutes of fireworks hasn't everyone seen enough though?

Didn't actually see anyfireworks. But when we left the restaurant we were in near the clocktower the BK show had just finished. The smoke was drifting away.

The traffic was horrendous! took about 15 mins to cross Maktoum Bridge and then get up on the Mina Road heading towards Garhoud Br. (Traffic towards Trade Centre was hardly moving!

Then got on begining of Al Ain Road and made slowish progress South East!

Junction towards Za'abeel blocked.
Khail Road exist jammed so headed for Emirates Road and after that fine and got home to Jebel Ali by 01.20. Hate to think what Beach Rd/ Al Wasl Rd and SZR were like!!!

Traffic just parked on the SZR and everyone got out to have a look (I was coming past on the Metro, and saw this for myself) - no accidents or roadworks, just people stopping in the middle of the road, with police looking on indulgently.

Very strange...........

lionheart Jan 2nd 2011 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9071910)
but it wasn't just the fireworks, there was also the fountain display which is coupled with a fire thing...it's great, people love it...and it was free...
MM, xx

But that is on every evening...the extra fire component is barely worth the effort. Actually I'm amazed that nobody challenged the 500,000 attendance figure quoted in my post. No way on earth could it have been that many. I'm sure that the available floor space can only contain 25% of that unless they were paddling in the lake, which I sincerely doubt. More UAE media hype methinks.