British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Fire & Fury - Michael Wolff (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/fire-fury-michael-wolff-907715/)

mission Jan 9th 2018 10:19 am

Fire & Fury - Michael Wolff

If anyone is interested in reading this book, i have the full book in pdf format and so I can email it to you.

mikelincs Jan 9th 2018 11:07 am

Re: Fire & Fury - Michael Wolff

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12414368)
If anyone is interested in reading this book, i have the full book in pdf format and so I can email it to you.

already got it for my kindle fire.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 9th 2018 12:23 pm

Thanks but might download it for my Kindle. :thumbup:

Bahtatboy Jan 9th 2018 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12414368)

Copyright be damned, eh?

vikingsail Jan 9th 2018 3:54 pm

The only fire I would put this book on is a bonfire. I'm not a lover of Trump but equally I'm not a lover of self anointed 'holier than thou' types as Wolf appears to be. Quite what, who he is and his credentials/ antecedents are for spouting forth on any topic are dubious. Reminds me a bit of that other blowhard Piers Morgan?

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 10th 2018 3:44 am

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 12414705)
The only fire I would put this book on is a bonfire. I'm not a lover of Trump but equally I'm not a lover of self anointed 'holier than thou' types as Wolf appears to be. Quite what, who he is and his credentials/ antecedents are for spouting forth on any topic are dubious. Reminds me a bit of that other blowhard Piers Morgan?

I dunno, an award winning journalist / author with a career spanning 40++ years writing articles, books, biographies and journals on high profile mainstream news topics is probably more qualified than billions of others.

Fossildog Jan 10th 2018 3:51 am

I guess reading it is a comforting form of confirmation bias for many so I expect it will be very popular. However, it would appear even the author himself does not believe large swathes of what is in the book

Wolff says in the introduction that many of the accounts "are in conflict with one another" and may be "badly untrue," according to thehill.com. He goes on to say he "settled on a version of events" he thought were true.

ExpatAl Jan 10th 2018 6:22 am

All the Trump stories are becoming a bit tedious...

His Twitter does make for some interesting reading though! Particularly liked the tweet about having the nuclear button ready

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 10th 2018 6:40 am

Originally Posted by ExpatAl (Post 12415211)
All the Trump stories are becoming a bit tedious...

His Twitter does make for some interesting reading though! Particularly liked the tweet about having the nuclear button ready

Isn't that a bit like saying all the Jack the Ripper stories are a bit gruesome or sad?

I find Trump fascinating. Will probably give this book a go before commenting on it either way but the realities of what happen in the White House are unlikely to ever really be exposed in any level of pinpoint accurate detail.

Miss Ann Thrope Jan 10th 2018 12:17 pm

In all of the hysterical attacks on the book, what is striking is how little of what was reported has been contradicted. Many of the conversations, particularly where Wolff rather cleverly invited some of the protagonists to dinner at his house and they - weirdly - accepted, have been corroborated by the other dinner guests. There have been lots of attempts to discredit the author and dismiss what he has written but the conversations reported have not actually been denied. In the most telling example, Steve Bannon has pathetically tried to claim that his comments about the Trump Tower Russia meeting related to Paul Manafort and not Don Junior. He didn't deny referring to the meeting as treasonous which is the single most striking thing in the book. While Wolff's opinions and characterisations are open to question, it's clear that the substance of what he has reported is factually correct.

The odious creep Steven Miller tried an interesting line before getting justifiably ejected from his cringingly grovelling effort to defend Trump on CNN. He adamantly claimed there was no truth whatsoever in the account in the book of the Trump Tower meeting with the Russians. Then when asked whether the Russians had been brought to meet Trump as Bannon said must have happened, he said he didn't know because he wasn't there. Huh?

Talk about preparing his answers for court...

What galls me is that if Trump, and more especially all the nasty cling-ons around him - who clearly all despise him but are happy to use him - insist on playing the public for such complete idiots, then I would at least hope they are even a little bit smart a la Nixon.. But it's clear this lot are utterly incompetent and completely corrupt and the whole craven Republican establishment is going along with it in public while savaging Trump in private. It's the most disgusting thing I've seen in politics in my lifetime. And I've met Charlie Haughey and Padraig Flynn.

Millhouse Jan 10th 2018 2:57 pm

It’s going to make me more than 90mins to read this book. I’ll wait for the movie, maybe. 90mins is all I’m prepared to put to this.

mission Jan 11th 2018 10:25 am

did you guys hear what De Niro said about Trump while presenting an award to Merly Streep.:lol::lol: