Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Finally, the book you have all been waiting for

Finally, the book you have all been waiting for

Old May 21st 2013, 9:13 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally, the book you have all been waiting for

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Really? I can whip off one of those scenes in about 30 seconds.
I was talking about writing one, not responding to one.
Old May 21st 2013, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

Will buy it on Amazon today and start reading tonight

Congratulations by the way!
Old May 21st 2013, 9:24 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Really? I can whip off one of those scenes in about 30 seconds.
Must be hard to type one handed?

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS
Will buy it on Amazon today and start reading tonight

Congratulations by the way!
Thank you
Old May 21st 2013, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
The most difficult parts were anything involving sex to be honest, as I wrote it I was thinking that anyone who knew me would think that's me speaking directly.
Glad to hear it's holding your attention anyhow and you want to finish it.
I usually only skim read the sex scenes in most books anyway as i don't know many authors that can write a sex scene without making it a bit cringy and uncomfortable reading, so unless there's anything plot specific, i.e. Patrick Bateman style scene, I don't read them, you might as just write "we had amazing filthy sex". One line done!

I've not finished it yet, but i'm reading other things as well, as documented in the What Are You Reading thread. So far really enjoying it though.

One comment i have is that it is pretty fast paced particularly in the fo9rst few chapters, which is a good thing. and Although i'm not reading it with a critical eye, I have realised that i'm not sure what anyone looks like. I don't have an image in my head and i'm wondering if you have been a little bit too lean on the descriptive? I'm happy with less description but on the other hand it reads, in my head like its almost too fast paced, maybe a bit manic. But, i'm not that far into it yet and that might be a deliberate ploy on your part to convey the protagonist's self centered and slightly unsettled personality.

Sorry not very articulate rambling there from me with too many commas. Anyway I will give you a proper verdict and review on amazon once i'm finished.

All in all so far.
Old May 21st 2013, 11:53 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Well at last my meisterwerk is complete and in true Middle East fashion I would like to blame several people for the delays in finishing it off:
  • the illustrator who disappeared for three weeks
  • the editor who had a mental breakdown *
  • my company for forcing me to work when I could have been writing
*breakdown unrelated to quality of my prose

Anyhow it is available in both paperback and kindle:
Paperback
Kindle

As I may have described earlier it is a novel set in the Middle East but more about the individual than the region to be fair.

Thanks for all the title suggestions and big thanks to jam25mack who came up with the final title.

Send me a pm and I will send you a free copy on kindle format, and for no extra cost will sign your email up to russian-brides.com.

The only request I have in return is that if you manage to finish it, please review it honestly on Amazon. I am aiming for two markets with this strategy; the so good you must buy it market and the so bad you must buy it market.
Just bought it, will start reading tonight...I considering asking for the freebie, but for putting in the time and effort have a pint on me.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theseus
One comment i have is that it is pretty fast paced particularly in the fo9rst few chapters, which is a good thing. and Although i'm not reading it with a critical eye, I have realised that i'm not sure what anyone looks like. I don't have an image in my head and i'm wondering if you have been a little bit too lean on the descriptive?
Interesting! My mother and I read really quickly, almost absorbing the words as opposed to 'reading'. We hate descriptive stuff "he was wearing brown brogue shoes, the lace up type. There was a patch of dust on the upper part of the toecap, filling some of the holes" FFS!! Who cares, he was wearing shoes, full stop! The only description we want is if there's some action, sort of putting yourself into the scene, like sailing a boat in a storm. I want to know about the wind and waves, getting splashed, rope burn on my hands etc. I want the author to make me feel like I'm actually part of it.
Whereas my father and wife love descriptions, being told the colour of clothes etc. They'll also reread sentences they particularly enjoyed. I never do that.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:31 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theseus
One comment i have is that it is pretty fast paced particularly in the fo9rst few chapters, which is a good thing. and Although i'm not reading it with a critical eye, I have realised that i'm not sure what anyone looks like. I don't have an image in my head and i'm wondering if you have been a little bit too lean on the descriptive? I'm happy with less description but on the other hand it reads, in my head like its almost too fast paced, maybe a bit manic. But, i'm not that far into it yet and that might be a deliberate ploy on your part to convey the protagonist's self centered and slightly unsettled personality.

Sorry not very articulate rambling there from me with too many commas. Anyway I will give you a proper verdict and review on amazon once i'm finished.

All in all so far.
Interesting points

In my mind I wanted the characters to be defined by actions or personality totally. To be people who you could relate to, and almost put the face of someone you know on them mentally.
The first few chapters are intended to be rapid fire; the reasoning was to create a feeling of dropping into the middle of a hectic lifestyle and also due to the editor's feeling that kindle previewed books are creating this first few pages attention grab culture so it's important to try follow that.

Going through the whole process sort of opened my eyes to a lot of things I had never considered before actually.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:40 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Hope you're not going to put any spoilers up - I can only manage a book at a time.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:42 pm
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Kix
Hope you're not going to put any spoilers up - I can only manage a book at a time.
No I won't ruin any details, everything mentioned so far doesn't really reveal anything. All general stuff.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Weasel - for some reason I can't download it. Is it restricted to a UK kindle or something?

I think my account is US.

<ignore, it now works - three quid though that's taking the piss>
Old May 21st 2013, 12:53 pm
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Weasel - for some reason I can't download it. Is it restricted to a UK kindle or something?

I think my account is US.

<ignore, it now works - three quid though that's taking the piss>
I will send it for free to you esteemed fellow poster, and there is no drm on the file.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I will send it for free to you esteemed fellow poster, and there is no drm on the file.
oddly, when I click your link there is no option to buy. If I search for it, I can buy it...
Old May 21st 2013, 1:04 pm
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Millhouse
oddly, when I click your link there is no option to buy. If I search for it, I can buy it...
I will update the link, it seems Amazon randomly move shit about from the first link they gave me.
Old May 29th 2013, 6:30 am
Knee deep and rising

Bump for the review promises

If it was shit don't be afraid to throw it out there.
Old May 29th 2013, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Hey - Still reading, in between other things. Read a bit more last night - really starting to dislike the protagonist, but only as is intended. So far still really enjoying it. Also very impressed with the actual writing. Good review probably coming up depending on how it all ends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.