British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Films that scared the shit out of you (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/films-scared-shit-out-you-805750/)

The Dean Aug 12th 2013 1:25 pm

Re: Films that scared the shit out of you

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10846731)
SOMEWHAT disturbing? Just somewhat? :ohmy:

I haven't see that film, never will, but a friend told me about it once and I was nearly sick.

I know nothing about it........ let's keep it that way.......... :o

Blue Cat Aug 12th 2013 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10846737)
I know nothing about it........ let's keep it that way.......... :o

I have never even heard of that film, guess I am lucky. I recently watched the re-make of I spit on her grave or something like that, it was vile.

Mogs Aug 12th 2013 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10846712)
What about a single jump-out-of-your-skin scary moment in a film?

The 'hand' at the end of Carrie?

The closing scene in Paranormal Activity made me jump a bit

Kix Aug 12th 2013 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10846731)
SOMEWHAT disturbing? Just somewhat? :ohmy:

I haven't see that film, never will, but a friend told me about it once and I was nearly sick.

I can't understand the thought behind the human caterpillar. Really I can't.

Don't want to go there with the specifics but you know what I mean.

Another weird film that I didn't mind was "The cook, the thief, his wife and her lover". When she serves her husband the lover's ....

Anyway, moving swiftly on.

Millhouse Aug 12th 2013 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10846784)
I can't understand the thought behind the human caterpillar. Really I can't.

I think the person that dreamed up the idea should be helped. The second film is way worse than the first.

Brains1983 Aug 12th 2013 2:44 pm

I was schooled in Oz briefly when I was 10. We went to a drive-in movie theatre and watched Arachnaphobia and Edward Scissor hands. Couldn't sleep for a week!

Quite like Edward Scissor hands nowadays, but Aracnaphobia the movie, along with spiders both remain things I am very scared by.

Irishbeekeeper Aug 12th 2013 3:03 pm

I think being scared by a movie has a lot to do with the time / place / phone is off or not etc

Also what age were you when you watched that particular movie?
I pretended to keep my eyes open while in fact they were shut while watching Thriller (MJ) the first time but I was very very young

Then Evil Dead part 1 scared the crap out of me the first time I watched it ofcourse but not so anymore

Saw the Blair Witch project in a stranger's house, totally alone (no I did not break in and enter) in the afternoon and was scared till the next day :D

I think there is a difference between pure horror and gore
Some film-makers tend to make it as gory as possible to horrify the audience whereas a master horrifi-er will only suggest, never show and still make you clench

Like Hitchcock's The Birds was very much scary

OleJanx Aug 12th 2013 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10846883)
I think being scared by a movie has a lot to do with the time / place / phone is off or not etc

Also what age were you when you watched that particular movie?
I pretended to keep my eyes open while in fact they were shut while watching Thriller (MJ) the first time but I was very very young

Then Evil Dead part 1 scared the crap out of me the first time I watched it ofcourse but not so anymore

Saw the Blair Witch project in a stranger's house, totally alone (no I did not break in and enter) in the afternoon and was scared till the next day :D

I think there is a difference between pure horror and gore
Some film-makers tend to make it as gory as possible to horrify the audience whereas a master horrifi-er will only suggest, never show and still make you clench

Like Hitchcock's The Birds was very much scary

Many years ago, I watched 'The Fog' on a night when it was foggy outside. It was, to say the least, disconcerting....

kittycat1 Aug 12th 2013 5:08 pm

Jaws as a kid- i watched it when i was 5 or 6- wouldn't sit on the loo for about a month as I thought a shark would come up the U bend. Had to wee whilst watching for ages.

More recently- The Descent- scared the living crap out of me- proper screamed in the cinema, leaving the cinema I had to do a full check in my car that there were no man eating creatures on my backseat, then when I got home had to check under the bed and tell myself if there was a man eating monster here it would be eatin you so stop worrying!

Also the Saw films- horrible- not scary but just plain grusome and so messed up.

i used to love a good horror- still do in some weird liek being scared sense but they play on my mind too much these days.

Millhouse Aug 12th 2013 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10847033)
Many years ago, I watched 'The Fog' on a night when it was foggy outside. It was, to say the least, disconcerting....

I saw that film a long time ago and thought it had done no lasting damage - until earlier in the year when I was camping in the desert and (after drinking almost a bottle of jagermeister) the fog came so thick I could just about see the fire... early night for Millhouse.

OleJanx Aug 12th 2013 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10847105)
I saw that film a long time ago and thought it had done no lasting damage - until earlier in the year when I was camping in the desert and (after drinking almost a bottle of jagermeister) the fog came so thick I could just about see the fire... early night for Millhouse.

Exactly! The enviroment around you can play tricks on your mind at times, espescially when a certain amount of alcohol has been partaken of....

UKCityGent Aug 12th 2013 5:31 pm

An oldie but good - "The Hills have eyes"

Maxima Aug 12th 2013 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10846712)
What about a single jump-out-of-your-skin scary moment in a film?

The 'hand' at the end of Carrie?

The nurse in the hallway in Exorcist 3

Bahtatboy Aug 12th 2013 8:33 pm

Poltergeist. Can't remember which one, but the one with the semi-excavated swimming pool from which emerged something (can't even remember what now). At the time I was living in Riyadh, and we had a swimming pool, the lights of which had gone out at one end. Never swam in it again in the dark...

And The Exorcist. Can't remember specifics, only that I never want to see it again.

And Rosemary's Baby put me off jugged hare for a couple of decades.

Arcadia Aug 12th 2013 8:56 pm

I agree that Jaws, Evil dead and Halloween were really scary..that Michael Myers just wouldnt die, and it set a theme for lots of other horror films, the babysitter getting it on with the good looking, athletic loudmouth who ends up pinned to the door by an axe etc.

Salems lot was quite scary, the vampire scratching at the window scene.

Can remember watching Candyman and being scared,and also the first Scream movie scared me, then they just got ridiculous.

Also the one with Jason with the hockey mask..cant remember the name, Nightmare on Elm street was good too, the first one anyway.

I used to cry behind a cushion watching the original Frankenstein, I always felt sorry for him.