British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Films that scared the shit out of you (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/films-scared-shit-out-you-805750/)

Blue Cat Aug 12th 2013 12:04 pm

Films that scared the shit out of you

We were talking with my daughter about films that scared me when I was a kid, JAWS did it for me big time. I am still scared of the sea to this day. Anyway we downloaded it to see how scary it was, I had to turn it off after about 15 mins :rofl:

anyone scared of Jaws?

The Dean Aug 12th 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Films that scared the shit out of you

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10846604)
We were talking with my daughter about films that scared me when I was a kid, JAWS did it for me big time. I am still scared of the sea to this day. Anyway we downloaded it to see how scary it was, I had to turn it off after about 15 mins :rofl:

anyone scared of Jaws?

Jaws was quite scary at the time, but that feeling eases after you watch it a few times.........

.......... unlike the original Halloween, John Carpenter's classic from the late-1970s. I still find it very uncomfortable to watch - it's a brilliant piece of directing. :scaredhair:

The real mystery though is how Carpenter descended to the abysmal level of some of the garbage he produced later.

Blue Cat Aug 12th 2013 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10846628)
Jaws was quite scary at the time, but that feeling eases after you watch it a few times.........

.......... unlike the original Halloween, John Carpenter's classic from the late-1970s. I still find it very uncomfortable to watch - it's a brilliant piece of directing. :scaredhair:

The real mystery though is how Carpenter descended to the abysmal level of some of the garbage he produced later.

yes Halloween was a bit scary as well, I can't bring myself to watch any more of this JAWS though and the child has a cushion over her head :rofl: Remember Evil Dead? didn't manage to watch that to the end.

Meow Aug 12th 2013 12:18 pm

I will swim in the sea, in deep water but I prefer it to be clear and have to keep looking down. I think that film has scarred (yes scarred, not scared) a few generations now.

The Fly with Jeff Goldblum is one that really disturbed me. If some kind of teleportation ever became viable I don't I'd ever be able to do it. Brundlefly - eek!

The Dean Aug 12th 2013 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10846636)
I will swim in the sea, in deep water but I prefer it to be clear and have to keep looking down. I think that film has scarred (yes scarred, not scared) a few generations now.

The Fly with Jeff Goldblum is one that really disturbed me. If some kind of teleportation ever became viable I don't I'd ever be able to do it. Brundlefly - eek!

The Fly is a great film in lots of ways - did anyone else find it curiously moving, or am I just a bit weird?

Meow Aug 12th 2013 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10846639)
The Fly is a great film in lots of ways - did anyone else find it curiously moving, or am I just a bit weird?

I see that but it was intensely disturbing. I saw it some 20 years ago, haven't see it since and don't want to.

I avoid horror films generally as my imagination is bad (good?) enough without scaring myself silly.

EDIT - Of course you're a bit weird, but not necessarily anything to do with this thread. Weirdo.

Kix Aug 12th 2013 12:27 pm

I watched The Exorcist for the first time a few days ago, that is one seriously disturbing film.

Autonomy Aug 12th 2013 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10846634)
yes Halloween was a bit scary as well, I can't bring myself to watch any more of this JAWS though and the child has a cushion over her head :rofl: Remember Evil Dead? didn't manage to watch that to the end.

Never really thought of Jaws as that scary TBH - love the film though.

If shark type things scare you - thought Open Water was very tense...

Evil Dead 1 & 2 are classics... ED1 is not so nice, ED2 is hilarious....

Not a big fan of the splatter gore of SAW, Hostel etc...

Funny Games and Kill List are very creepy. The Swedish Let The Right One in is fantastic.

Wolf Creek is very scary...

Film that scared me most recently - The Strangers:-

Kix Aug 12th 2013 12:37 pm

Agreed on Wolf Creek. Disturbing. Bloody Aussies eh?

Blue Cat Aug 12th 2013 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10846662)
Never really thought of Jaws as that scary TBH - love the film though.

If shark type things scare you - thought Open Water was very tense...

Evil Dead 1 & 2 are classics... ED1 is not so nice, ED2 is hilarious....

Not a big fan of the splatter gore of SAW, Hostel etc...

Funny Games and Kill List are very creepy. The Swedish Let The Right One in is fantastic.

Wolf Creek is very scary...

Film that scared me most recently - The Strangers:-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p5m_MaEy3ho

Open Water didn't bother me in the slightest, I found it a bit slow if anything. I used to love Nightmare on Elm Street when it first came out but the later films were crap. There was a Stephen King thing that scared me, the one with the Clown in it?

Meow Aug 12th 2013 12:53 pm

Is Open Water the one with the two people who are left behind by a dive boat? If so, I thought it so dull I kept hoping they'd be eaten. It was an hour too long...

Wasn't there a 'sequel'? Odd concept.

Millhouse Aug 12th 2013 1:07 pm

Not scary, but somewhat disturbing - Human Centipede II It's just wrong.

Frankenstein Experiment isn't exactly happy viewing either.

But, oddly, 'What lies beneath' made me think a lot more.

The Dean Aug 12th 2013 1:11 pm

What about a single jump-out-of-your-skin scary moment in a film?

The 'hand' at the end of Carrie?

Blue Cat Aug 12th 2013 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10846685)
Is Open Water the one with the two people who are left behind by a dive boat? If so, I thought it so dull I kept hoping they'd be eaten. It was an hour too long...

Wasn't there a 'sequel'? Odd concept.

I agree it was boring :)

Meow Aug 12th 2013 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10846702)
Not scary, but somewhat disturbing - Human Centipede II It's just wrong.

Frankenstein Experiment isn't exactly happy viewing either.

But, oddly, 'What lies beneath' made me think a lot more.

SOMEWHAT disturbing? Just somewhat? :ohmy:

I haven't see that film, never will, but a friend told me about it once and I was nearly sick.