Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Films that scared the shit out of you

Films that scared the shit out of you

Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:04 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Films that scared the shit out of you

We were talking with my daughter about films that scared me when I was a kid, JAWS did it for me big time. I am still scared of the sea to this day. Anyway we downloaded it to see how scary it was, I had to turn it off after about 15 mins

anyone scared of Jaws?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Films that scared the shit out of you

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
We were talking with my daughter about films that scared me when I was a kid, JAWS did it for me big time. I am still scared of the sea to this day. Anyway we downloaded it to see how scary it was, I had to turn it off after about 15 mins

anyone scared of Jaws?
Jaws was quite scary at the time, but that feeling eases after you watch it a few times.........

.......... unlike the original Halloween, John Carpenter's classic from the late-1970s. I still find it very uncomfortable to watch - it's a brilliant piece of directing.

The real mystery though is how Carpenter descended to the abysmal level of some of the garbage he produced later.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:17 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Jaws was quite scary at the time, but that feeling eases after you watch it a few times.........

.......... unlike the original Halloween, John Carpenter's classic from the late-1970s. I still find it very uncomfortable to watch - it's a brilliant piece of directing.

The real mystery though is how Carpenter descended to the abysmal level of some of the garbage he produced later.
yes Halloween was a bit scary as well, I can't bring myself to watch any more of this JAWS though and the child has a cushion over her head Remember Evil Dead? didn't manage to watch that to the end.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:18 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I will swim in the sea, in deep water but I prefer it to be clear and have to keep looking down. I think that film has scarred (yes scarred, not scared) a few generations now.

The Fly with Jeff Goldblum is one that really disturbed me. If some kind of teleportation ever became viable I don't I'd ever be able to do it. Brundlefly - eek!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I will swim in the sea, in deep water but I prefer it to be clear and have to keep looking down. I think that film has scarred (yes scarred, not scared) a few generations now.

The Fly with Jeff Goldblum is one that really disturbed me. If some kind of teleportation ever became viable I don't I'd ever be able to do it. Brundlefly - eek!
The Fly is a great film in lots of ways - did anyone else find it curiously moving, or am I just a bit weird?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:22 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
The Fly is a great film in lots of ways - did anyone else find it curiously moving, or am I just a bit weird?
I see that but it was intensely disturbing. I saw it some 20 years ago, haven't see it since and don't want to.

I avoid horror films generally as my imagination is bad (good?) enough without scaring myself silly.

EDIT - Of course you're a bit weird, but not necessarily anything to do with this thread. Weirdo.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:27 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

I watched The Exorcist for the first time a few days ago, that is one seriously disturbing film.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:35 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
yes Halloween was a bit scary as well, I can't bring myself to watch any more of this JAWS though and the child has a cushion over her head Remember Evil Dead? didn't manage to watch that to the end.
Never really thought of Jaws as that scary TBH - love the film though.

If shark type things scare you - thought Open Water was very tense...

Evil Dead 1 & 2 are classics... ED1 is not so nice, ED2 is hilarious....

Not a big fan of the splatter gore of SAW, Hostel etc...

Funny Games and Kill List are very creepy. The Swedish Let The Right One in is fantastic.

Wolf Creek is very scary...

Film that scared me most recently - The Strangers:-

Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:37 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Agreed on Wolf Creek. Disturbing. Bloody Aussies eh?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:47 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Never really thought of Jaws as that scary TBH - love the film though.

If shark type things scare you - thought Open Water was very tense...

Evil Dead 1 & 2 are classics... ED1 is not so nice, ED2 is hilarious....

Not a big fan of the splatter gore of SAW, Hostel etc...

Funny Games and Kill List are very creepy. The Swedish Let The Right One in is fantastic.

Wolf Creek is very scary...

Film that scared me most recently - The Strangers:-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p5m_MaEy3ho
Open Water didn't bother me in the slightest, I found it a bit slow if anything. I used to love Nightmare on Elm Street when it first came out but the later films were crap. There was a Stephen King thing that scared me, the one with the Clown in it?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:53 pm
Bored liberal

Is Open Water the one with the two people who are left behind by a dive boat? If so, I thought it so dull I kept hoping they'd be eaten. It was an hour too long...

Wasn't there a 'sequel'? Odd concept.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not scary, but somewhat disturbing - Human Centipede II It's just wrong.

Frankenstein Experiment isn't exactly happy viewing either.

But, oddly, 'What lies beneath' made me think a lot more.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What about a single jump-out-of-your-skin scary moment in a film?

The 'hand' at the end of Carrie?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:15 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Meow
Is Open Water the one with the two people who are left behind by a dive boat? If so, I thought it so dull I kept hoping they'd be eaten. It was an hour too long...

Wasn't there a 'sequel'? Odd concept.
I agree it was boring
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:23 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Not scary, but somewhat disturbing - Human Centipede II It's just wrong.

Frankenstein Experiment isn't exactly happy viewing either.

But, oddly, 'What lies beneath' made me think a lot more.

SOMEWHAT disturbing? Just somewhat?

I haven't see that film, never will, but a friend told me about it once and I was nearly sick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.