British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Fillums (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/fillums-740886/)

Spugsy Dec 4th 2011 9:10 am

Fillums

Anyone seen owt decent recently?

Watched 'Drive the other day and loved it, got a very 80s feel to it.

'Tree of Life' is utterly insane, beautiful to watch and once you are done it's incredible, but still mental.

Anything else worth watching?

NorthernLad Dec 4th 2011 9:13 am

Re: Fillums

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9769095)
Anyone seen owt decent recently?

Watched 'Drive the other day and loved it, got a very 80s feel to it.

'Tree of Life' is utterly insane, beautiful to watch and once you are done it's incredible, but still mental.

Anything else worth watching?

Not a film, but Homeland TV series is best thing on at moment.

Meow Dec 4th 2011 9:27 am

The Debt was excellent, but I doubt it'll be shown in cinemas in the UAE. Apparently The Devil's Double is good, but I haven't had a chance to see that yet.

Spugsy Dec 4th 2011 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9769119)
The Debt was excellent, but I doubt it'll be shown in cinemas in the UAE. Apparently The Devil's Double is good, but I haven't had a chance to see that yet.

aye got the Devils Double to watch, also watched Horrible Bosses which was fun and also good to see Aniston talking utter filth. Nice work.

Spugsy Dec 4th 2011 9:30 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 9769096)
Not a film, but Homeland TV series is best thing on at moment.

ah my missus LOVES that ginger bloke, he was in some American TV cop thign and was ace. I'm downloading it now, thanks fella.

LaLaLayla Dec 4th 2011 9:39 am

Watched Storm Warning last night on OSN. Very good. But quite gruesome. Not for the fainthearted...

Oyibopeppeh Dec 4th 2011 10:10 am

No Country For Old Men.

A tale of how not to get involved with what shouldn't concern you. It's a shocking, time-bomb of a movie with a brutal, almost Old Testament nerve-wracking moral feel.

Not one for the faint hearted.

mentalist Dec 4th 2011 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9769193)
No Country For Old Men.

As it won several Oscars a few years back, I'm guessing that most film addicts would have watched it already.

Welivehere Dec 4th 2011 10:31 am

Watchable TV from the Uk - Luther.... I saw a couple of episodes on Ek and got hooked...

fezzer Dec 4th 2011 10:39 am

Try "Fish Tank" from a couple of years ago. Gritty film set in Essex, but what a performance from the lead actress.

iamthestig Dec 4th 2011 10:49 am

Some recommendations:

Chico and Rita - a vibrant, jazz fuelled animation depicting a tale of lost love in 1940s Cuba, brilliant.

Senna - Even if the subject matter does not float your boat, it is a very well made documentary with a story that will blow you away.

Source Code - an intelligent action thriller from the director of Moon, Duncan Jones, which should also be seen if you haven't yet.

Monsters - amazing low budget monster movie, well worth considering.

Four Lions - you won't find it in the shops... Wickedly funny with more laugh out loud moments than I've had in years.

Meow Dec 4th 2011 11:11 am

I thought Source Code was rather annoying and the ending was too predictable. Couldn't finish watching Four Lions as the protagonists were just too idiotic.

Spugsy Dec 4th 2011 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9769193)
No Country For Old Men.

A tale of how not to get involved with what shouldn't concern you. It's a shocking, time-bomb of a movie with a brutal, almost Old Testament nerve-wracking moral feel.

Not one for the faint hearted.

aye loved that, great cast.

iamthestig Dec 4th 2011 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9769270)
I thought Source Code was rather annoying and the ending was too predictable.

I didn't see the ending coming, as it went against the central "science" of the plot. Nowhere near as predictable as 99% of Hollywood movies.

Patsy Stoned Dec 4th 2011 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 9769224)
Watchable TV from the Uk - Luther.... I saw a couple of episodes on Ek and got hooked...

loved luther.
just watching homeland..very good.

50/50 is good and I have just downloaded The Ides of March, Strawdogs, Catch 42 and In time, No idea when I will get time to watch them though :D