British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   fighting at the tennis (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/fighting-tennis-586614/)

commander Jan 24th 2009 2:51 am

fighting at the tennis

Anyone see the fighting at the aus open?

Poor woman was knocked out with a flying chair..

Bosnian-Serb Ethnic violence at the tennis, whatever next.

seraphnina Jan 24th 2009 4:16 am

Re: fighting at the tennis

Totally uncivilized. Can't they just sit nicely and eat their cucumber sandwiches. :wub:

The Dean Jan 24th 2009 5:40 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7206899)

Bosnian-Serb Ethnic violence at the tennis, whatever next.

Third year running.................. ban the booze, that's what I say, ban the booze.......

still.unsure Jan 24th 2009 5:53 am

i always find this amusing about oz and it's 'ethnic tensions'. did you notice the average age of the people involved in it? let's be generous and say 22. i'd be very interested to know how many of these people have actually been to their 'country-of-identification' in their memory. (excluding the possible visit when they were there at the age of 2 - 5 to visit relatives).

(there used to be a funny one about aussie-born greeks where the young men wouldn't dare go back for a visit for fear of having to do national service!)

Beard Man Jan 24th 2009 6:07 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyqpmMQ_Y_I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1danNcddPU

funny .... but there must be a reason for why it happend

still.unsure Jan 24th 2009 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Beard Man (Post 7207143)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyqpmMQ_Y_I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1danNcddPU

funny .... but there must be a reason for why it happend

one lot hates the other lot because they're of a certain ethnic background. generally, the participants are born in australia and are 2nd, sometimes 3rd generation migrants. why the particular ethnicities hate each other is based around territorial disputes and attrocities committed by one another, against one another during various wars.

the thing you'll find that underlies most of it though is far less 'noble' and more immediate in terms of a disenfranchised youth facing difficult prospects (compounded by the current economic situation) and seeking to 'vent' by simplifying it into fights along and ethnic divide.

as far as i know, there's no discrimination from the general australian populace against one or the other of the groups involved (most aussies can't/don't know the difference between a montenegran, a croat, a serb, or a kosovar). generally, the groups are 'lumped together' in australian society are regarded as 'slav's' with no particular/overt prejudice. (just that they make a bl--dy strong homebrew whiskey-like drink!)

Eva Jan 24th 2009 7:07 am

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7207200)
one lot hates the other lot because they're of a certain ethnic background. generally, the participants are born in australia and are 2nd, sometimes 3rd generation migrants. why the particular ethnicities hate each other is based around territorial disputes and attrocities committed by one another, against one another during various wars.

the thing you'll find that underlies most of it though is far less 'noble' and more immediate in terms of a disenfranchised youth facing difficult prospects (compounded by the current economic situation) and seeking to 'vent' by simplifying it into fights along and ethnic divide.

as far as i know, there's no discrimination from the general australian populace against one or the other of the groups involved (most aussies can't/don't know the difference between a montenegran, a croat, a serb, or a kosovar). generally, the groups are 'lumped together' in australian society are regarded as 'slav's' with no particular/overt prejudice. (just that they make a bl--dy strong homebrew whiskey-like drink!)

Sounds like a prognosis of the youth of Dubai..........

still.unsure Jan 24th 2009 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7207221)
Sounds like a prognosis of the youth of Dubai..........

i heard somewhere (think it was the bbc) that there was an increase of 18% in violent crime in the UK in the last recession (early 90's)

lets see what the nationalists/fundamentalists make of all this... nothing like a large, young, unemployed and depressed population to provide a bit of cannon fodder...

Bison Jan 24th 2009 7:54 am

[QUOTE]Anyone see the fighting at the aus open?

Bosnian-Serb Ethnic violence at the tennis, whatever next.[/QUOTE

This is exactly the sort of trouble I was talking about in my thread referring to the dismal state of the UK. These east block countrymen seem to cause trouble where ever they go.

Bison

Kim67 Jan 24th 2009 8:07 am

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7207119)

(there used to be a funny one about aussie-born greeks where the young men wouldn't dare go back for a visit for fear of having to do national service!)

The greek boys in Darwin are sent home by their parents to do it! My nieces husband went to Greece for a year when he turned 18 to do his national service. It breaks the hearts of all the aussie girls when their little greek boyfriends go home for national service and come back with a greek bride.

still.unsure Jan 24th 2009 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7207295)
The greek boys in Darwin are sent home by their parents to do it! My nieces husband went to Greece for a year when he turned 18 to do his national service. It breaks the hearts of all the aussie girls when their little greek boyfriends go home for national service and come back with a greek bride.

well, that's one way to get them out of the house! ;)

still.unsure Jan 24th 2009 8:18 am

[QUOTE=Bison;7207282]

Bosnian-Serb Ethnic violence at the tennis, whatever next.[/QUOTE

This is exactly the sort of trouble I was talking about in my thread referring to the dismal state of the UK. These east block countrymen seem to cause trouble where ever they go.

Bison
:blink: so it's just the east block countrymen that are the problem... ah, ok

i'm afraid this kind of ethnic tension and problems are not constrained to one geographical area. in oz they've even had problems with migrants from africa, the middle east, the far east, you name it. (hell, the whole catholic v protestant one was still an issue for some areas recently!)

i think you're applying some incredibly narrow perspective on things. (or are you trolling again...)

commander Jan 24th 2009 10:35 am

The catholic V protestant will always be an issue in certain places I'm afraid..

The Dean Jan 24th 2009 11:08 am

Let's face it.............

If you had been taken away from your beautiful homeland (with its beautiful scenery and historical and cultural traditions) at a young age and transposed by your parents into a cultural and geographical wasteland called Australia, you'd react pretty angrily too...............

Beard Man Jan 24th 2009 11:17 am

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7207200)

well what happend in kosovo wasn't small for sure.. the rape of thousands and the killing of thousands isn't something they can forget easily ...

and when you have unwise young boys who are unemployed they simply feel that they have nothing to lose by doing any stuiped action.