Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

FIFA Arrests - Qatar WC under threat?

FIFA Arrests - Qatar WC under threat?

Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:39 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FIFA Arrests - Qatar WC under threat?

Originally Posted by al dente
I hope it gets pulled. I want, for once, the world to just say "Do you know what? **** off. There are principles and standards that won't be compromised."

Doubt it will happen though.
We can but hope and some sponsors pulling out is certainly interesting.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 8:01 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Thanks.

I guess we don't know if the Qatar deaths are directly WC related, not that it makes any difference to the poor souls and their families.
As another poster stated, there's been no significant construction work done for the WC stadia and related infrastructure, so it seems they're not. That doesn't remove or diminish the fact that Qatar doesn't appear to impose proper HSE regulations, despite their bombast and their employment of two world-class UK consultancies to oversee all public works.

Also as stated above, the step-change needs to be top-down driven, so if Qatar wants positive recognition (it certainly needs it) it should come out with a policy statement clearly stating its adoption and enforcement of world-class HSE regulations (with transparent reporting), backed-up with evidence of the enhanced remit of those two consultancies, and further followed up by regular reports. Work suspensions, fines and prosecutions should also be made public to give credence to their commitment. Otherwise--coupled with the financial corruption stain which may be very difficult for them to remove--there could well be the "You know what? **** it all, we're not participating" response from all stakeholders (sponsors, confederations, teams and fans).
Old Jun 1st 2015, 9:08 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt any of us expect them to take that kind of action. Transparency and accountability in Qatar? Oh look, a unicorn!

I hope the WC 2022 goes elsewhere and the farce of a sporting event in 50c heat is stopped. Mind you, I was talking to someone the other week who is fully convinced that the UAE will get the summer Olympics before too long.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I doubt any of us expect them to take that kind of action. Transparency and accountability in Qatar? Oh look, a unicorn!

I hope the WC 2022 goes elsewhere and the farce of a sporting event in 50c heat is stopped. Mind you, I was talking to someone the other week who is fully convinced that the UAE will get the summer Olympics before too long.
The Qatari's and a lot of people in this region and Asia believe they've done no wrong and it's a plot and conspiracy against Qatar . It's the typical siege and defense driven mentality you see every day in this part of the world.

The talk here is of the exit strategy that the Yanks will offer up if it goes tits up . The 2022 award was to raise Qatar's profile , nothing more or nothing less . They've done that , they don't worry about bad press or publicity they just retreat to their nomadic tribal culture and cry about the big bad West , you see that every single day here in all walks of life.

The truth is these people couldnt put on the World Lego Championships never mind the biggest sporting event in history , they know that and now the world knows it too . The whole thing has been nothing short of a travesty for everybody involved .
Old Jun 1st 2015, 11:31 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

FIRST LEGO League Global Innovation Award | FLL Global Innovation

First Lego League Global Innovation Award.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 2:53 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I'm not a big advocate of Qatar and the way it does it's business but the figures are misleading and wrong . A counter case being the N.D.I.A project which had 30,000 men on it at peak and when finished had one of the best HSE records of any major airport project in the last 30 years across the globe .
Apparently the number of deaths that is being spouted by the media is 2012 indian deaths + Nepalese deaths x 10

Pure bollocks, had 20 people post stuff on my Facebook about it, I am no Qatar lover but I will defend it from shite being spouted.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Watching CNN, Blatter is stepping down/resigning.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
Watching CNN, Blatter is stepping down/resigning.
Smoking gun.....
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Former Prime Minister of Qatar says FIFA indictements are racism and Anti Arab attitudes showing its ugly face.

Makes one want to throw up at the sheer gall of a Qatari official accusing critics of FIFA's selection process as a case of racism.

Fifa corruption: Qatar says investigations are racist, anti-Arab and show 'ugly face' of countries who lost 2022 World Cup bid
Fifa corruption: Qatar says investigations are racist, anti-Arab and show 'ugly face' of countries who lost 2022 World Cup bid - Middle East - World - The Independent
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 5:21 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Former Prime Minister of Qatar says FIFA indictements are racism and Anti Arab attitudes showing its ugly face.

Makes one want to throw up at the sheer gall of a Qatari official accusing critics of FIFA's selection process as a case of racism.

Fifa corruption: Qatar says investigations are racist, anti-Arab and show 'ugly face' of countries who lost 2022 World Cup bid - Middle East - World - The Independent
when some of the most blatantly racist bastards on earth start trying to use the racism card its a touch too much irony for me
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Much more mileage in this yet , it's great watching it implode , like the fall of Rome . Also don't forget Platini , Beckenbauer and many others voted for Qatar .
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:28 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

I still reckon FIFA as an institution is finished!

At the very least there is no way to recover this using anyone currently involved in the organisation. The rot is simply to well established...

Better to start again from scratch...

Qatar are just making fools of themselves by claiming they are being hard done by. I'm pretty sure they will be exposed in the process regardless so if they had any sense (and balls) they would hold up their hands and ask for forgiveness sooner rather than later..
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:39 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by norsk
I still reckon FIFA as an institution is finished!

At the very least there is no way to recover this using anyone currently involved in the organisation. The rot is simply to well established...

Better to start again from scratch...

Qatar are just making fools of themselves by claiming they are being hard done by. I'm pretty sure they will be exposed in the process regardless so if they had any sense (and balls) they would hold up their hands and ask for forgiveness sooner rather than later..
FIFA: No, there will be a clear-out and a new head, but the smell will linger.
Qatar: No ****ing chance.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:47 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Qatar: No ****ing chance.
Yep and when they get exposed it will be funnier because of it..
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by norsk
Yep and when they get exposed it will be funnier because of it..
It's like when they turn up at Heathrow and you can just barge past them and laugh when they have to join the massive queue for non-EU passports and can't jump it......but on a global, monumental scale. **** em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.