British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   FIFA Arrests - Qatar WC under threat? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/fifa-arrests-qatar-wc-under-threat-859040/)

littlejimmy May 27th 2015 10:17 am

FIFA Arrests - Qatar WC under threat?

Great news this morning that 14 FIFA officials, including the Vice President have been arrested with a view to extradition to the US to face charges of corruption. The only disappointment is that Septic Bladder seems to have kept clear of it all.

It's about time. Seems the Swiss authorities are also launching a criminal investigation into the 2018 and 2022 WC awards.

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2015 11:47 am

Re: FIFA Arrests - Qatar WC under threat?

How he keeps getting away with it is beyond me.

The big thing here that stands out to me is that it's not some bullshit investigation, it's not a quango set up to tickle Sep's tummy until he makes someone a scape goat....it's the Yanks and they're holding shotguns, undoing their belts and getting ready to **** people up the chuff.

I just can't see this bunch getting away with it if they're seeking extradition etc.

Someone, must, must, must, in that bunch have some dirt on Blatter.

shiva May 27th 2015 11:59 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/sp...mong-them.html

"Swiss authorities conducted an extraordinary early-morning operation here Wednesday to arrest several top soccer officials and extradite them to the United States on federal corruption charges."

"The charges, backed by an F.B.I. investigation, allege widespread corruption in FIFA over the past two decades, involving bids for World Cups as well as marketing and broadcast deals."

federal prosecution in the US. Yup these chaps are properly ****ed, now lest see how many they can bring down in plea bargains

fezzer May 27th 2015 12:04 pm

Pan Arabia Enquirer keeping on top of the news

NorthernLad May 27th 2015 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11658094)
How he keeps getting away with it is beyond me.

The big thing here that stands out to me is that it's not some bullshit investigation, it's not a quango set up to tickle Sep's tummy until he makes someone a scape goat....it's the Yanks and they're holding shotguns, undoing their belts and getting ready to **** people up the chuff.

I just can't see this bunch getting away with it if they're seeking extradition etc.

Someone, must, must, must, in that bunch have some dirt on Blatter.

Sounds like Chuck Blazer is squealing on them...but apparently he's very sick with cancer. I guess the Yanks will have a pretty solid case ready though.

shiva May 27th 2015 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11658174)
Sounds like Chuck Blazer is squealing on them...but apparently he's very sick with cancer. I guess the Yanks will have a pretty solid case ready though.

For federal cases of the type they have about an 80% conviction rate and before they can even push for prosecution and extradition it needs to go in front of a grand jury so Id say they probably have a pretty solid case.

I'm loving the idea that whilst they were planning on a grand old time of it most of them will now be quietly shitting themselves about being named as part of a deal.

NorthernLad May 28th 2015 4:16 am

A cracking quote from the head of the IRS:

"Al Capone is made to look like a kindergarten novice compared to this lot, if the allegations turn out to be true. The IRS boss said "this is the World Cup of fraud and today we are giving Fifa a red card"."

Fifa corruption arrests spark concern among sponsors - BBC News

Boomhauer May 28th 2015 6:12 am

So I wonder if a few FIFA officials will be 'made' to fall on their sword and Qatar will get away scot free with the 2022 world cup.

mikelincs May 28th 2015 7:10 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11658881)
A cracking quote from the head of the IRS:

"Al Capone is made to look like a kindergarten novice compared to this lot, if the allegations turn out to be true. The IRS boss said "this is the World Cup of fraud and today we are giving Fifa a red card"."

Fifa corruption arrests spark concern among sponsors - BBC News

I suspecy FIFA will be morfe worried about sponsors dropping them that with a few people being arrested, bot I do hope that Blatter dops the election on Friday and waits till everything is sorted re the arrests. I suspect that there are quite a few more to come, with aat least one official handing himself in to the police.

co durham boy May 28th 2015 7:50 am

It's the beginning of the end for FIFA , there's no doubt about that . One things for sure if you're going to commit fraud and embezzle cash on a grand open scale do not do it in USD .

The Qatari's are part of the whole charade and are complicit in every single detail but to them it's just the way business works .

norsk May 28th 2015 8:41 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11658999)
It's the beginning of the end for FIFA , there's no doubt about that . One things for sure if you're going to commit fraud and embezzle cash on a grand open scale do not do it in USD .

The Qatari's are part of the whole charade and are complicit in every single detail but to them it's just the way business works .

If this goes the way the feds (and the Swiss) are hoping Qatar should be more concerned with whether FIFA will still exist in 2022 than if the WC will be withdrawn if they are proven to have been complicit in any corruption.

Bahtatboy May 28th 2015 9:26 am

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 121778

littlejimmy May 28th 2015 9:33 am

News on the radio this morning was that this is just the beginning. There are more arrests to come. Septic Bladder must have a twitchy bum today.

Boomhauer May 28th 2015 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11659062)

Hahahah...
And let that be a lesson!

-
On a serious note, if you plan to do engage in shenanigans that the US government does not approve of , don't do it on US soil.

So why is the United States, a country where soccer ranks far below football and basketball in popularity, now taking top FIFA officials to court on corruption charges?

Most of the 14 people indicted aren't Americans.

But as U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch lays it out, the suspects planned their crimes in the U.S.; they used the U.S. banking system; they planned to profit through schemes that targeted the "growing U.S. market for soccer."

"This is a U.S. case," David Zirin, sports editor for The Nation magazine, said Wednesday on CNN.
FIFA scandal: Why the U.S. is bringing down the hammer - CNN.com

DXBtoDOH May 29th 2015 6:26 am

I can't see the WC happening in Qatar.

Not only was it hugely controversial when Qatar won the WC, it infuriated way too many people. A country with no football history and hotter than hades in the summer? I was in Qatar for a few days earlier this week and when I returned to the UAE it surprised me to realise how much hotter Qatar feels compared to the UAE.

If FIFA doubles down and keeps the WC in Qatar, expect the sponsors to pull out. They're not stupid people and they know too many people will be pissed, leading to boycotts of the WC by both prospective fans and even the teams themselves. I can't see the US allowing the US team play in the WC and other countries will probably follow suit. And there will be mass demonstrations against the WC, not in Qatar of course, but people in Europe protesting against the corruption and the deaths of labourers building the stadiums. None of the major corporations will want to be aligned with the QC WC.

There's too many people in the ME still shrugging off the corruption charges but this is a big deal. All the factors have been slowly but steadily building up over the years and are now combining into a perfect storm.