Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Female drivers in Saudi

Female drivers in Saudi

Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold
Default Female drivers in Saudi

Dean
Love to hear your views.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7001348.stm
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Female drivers in Saudi

Originally Posted by oktoberon View Post

Well if they can ride camels and donkeys then why not
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease View Post
Well if they can ride camels and donkeys then why not
Riding and driving may be two different things dear heart....
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oktoberon View Post
Riding and driving may be two different things dear heart....
Not that you would notice the way that some do it in Duba !!!!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease View Post
Not that you would notice the way that some do it in Duba !!!!
Oh really......
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Evening Okto..........

Some amazing statements in that report - namely:

The ministry of interior even controls the names you give your children.

Women should not be allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia. If this happens, there will be more crime, accidents and disorder.

Even if there were a law enabling women to drive, society itself would reject the women who did so.

I don't understand that last point at all, but no matter. It will happen - it's a question of when. The place is definitely changing (more women not covering their hair, Saudi women shaking hands with men they are intoduced to, etc). Little things perhaps, but an unmistakeable trend.

Funnily enough, I think women can OWN cars - they just have to employ drivers (could be wrong on that). So there wouldn't necessarily be more traffic.........

Women can now be voted on to city councils (it's already happened in Jeddah, though not yet in Riyadh I believe), and the rise of independently wealthy (i.e. self-made not daddy-money) women is noticeable. The major individual shareholder of my employer is a wealthy woman. Bit by bit.....

And now for my "Bold Statement Of The Day": Alcohol will be legal here within ten years. There will never be 'bars' as such, but there will be a licencing system whereby expats can buy it to consume at home. Watch this space.

More later - I'm more interested in the WW3 thread........
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
Evening Okto..........

Some amazing statements in that report - namely:

The ministry of interior even controls the names you give your children.

Women should not be allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia. If this happens, there will be more crime, accidents and disorder.

Even if there were a law enabling women to drive, society itself would reject the women who did so.

I don't understand that last point at all, but no matter. It will happen - it's a question of when. The place is definitely changing (more women not covering their hair, Saudi women shaking hands with men they are intoduced to, etc). Little things perhaps, but an unmistakeable trend.

Funnily enough, I think women can OWN cars - they just have to employ drivers (could be wrong on that). So there wouldn't necessarily be more traffic.........

Women can now be voted on to city councils (it's already happened in Jeddah, though not yet in Riyadh I believe), and the rise of independently wealthy (i.e. self-made not daddy-money) women is noticeable. The major individual shareholder of my employer is a wealthy woman. Bit by bit.....

And now for my "Bold Statement Of The Day": Alcohol will be legal here within ten years. There will never be 'bars' as such, but there will be a licencing system whereby expats can buy it to consume at home. Watch this space.

More later - I'm more interested in the WW3 thread........
Your view on WW3 most welcome Shag....
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Dont agree that alcohol will be legal. There is a huge difference between driving and alochol. It is specifically banned in Islam.

I just hope the women over there have proper lessons as most of the men over there cant drive!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maranelloman View Post
Dont agree that alcohol will be legal. There is a huge difference between driving and alochol. It is specifically banned in Islam.

I just hope the women over there have proper lessons as most of the men over there cant drive!
Alcohol - it will be forced upon the Kingdom by various factors:

The continuing and growing need to attract 'Western' expertise, as the market here realises more and more that locals cannot be trained to do many of the jobs - they will 'demand' more and more in the form of compensatory benefits............ I have never felt more confident about job prospects for non-Saudis in KSA than I do today. Doesn't mean I'll stay for ever, but plenty will......

Membership of the WTO - a danger that the Kingdom will be frozen out of a number of markets if pressure is brought to bear by, say, breweries, distillers, etc complaining that under WTO rules they should have access to ALL member countries' markets..........

The 'banned in Islam' bit is irrelevant - look at Dubai/UAE, Oman, Bahrain...... muslim countries.........