British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Fathers day gifts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/fathers-day-gifts-720490/)

kittycat1 Jun 11th 2011 6:45 am

Fathers day gifts

Morning all,

Fathers day next Sunday - any ideas what to send a slightly miserable 70 ish year old man?

xxx

Alexa Jun 11th 2011 11:34 am

Re: Fathers day gifts

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9425369)
Morning all,

Fathers day next Sunday - any ideas what to send a slightly miserable 70 ish year old man?

xxx

Bottle of whiskey?

Millhouse Jun 11th 2011 11:52 am

ipad2

giddyup Jun 11th 2011 12:17 pm

A thai massage:eek:

OleJanx Jun 11th 2011 12:22 pm

Kindle reader.

kittycat1 Jun 11th 2011 1:15 pm

Whisky- think he still has the bottle I took him home on my last visit- ipad 2- he isnt getting one before I do! a thai massage- - come on its my dad I don't even want to think about that! and a kindle reader- :confused:

thanks for the suggestions guys but any other suggestions?

OleJanx Jun 11th 2011 1:21 pm

A Kindle reader is a doo-dad you electronically download books onto. It's about the size of an A5 pad, and you can zoom up the size of the script, etc..
You get the downloads of Amazon.

kittycat1 Jun 11th 2011 1:22 pm

I thought a kindle was a memory stick thing- god i get confused.

sherri Jun 11th 2011 1:37 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Considering the loss of brain parenchyma with advancing age is well recognised and most 65+ generally act like children, I suggest Potty Fisher (pics attached). My 3 yrs old loves it.

Blue Cat Jun 11th 2011 2:04 pm

marks and spencers gift hamper :thumbup:

Alexa Jun 11th 2011 5:34 pm

A nice woolly jumper?
Does he read magazines?If he does,maybe a subscription?
Slippers?
What does he actually like? Obviously not whiskey ;)

Oh, how about a puppy?

OleJanx Jun 11th 2011 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9426126)
A nice woolly jumper?
Does he read magazines?If he does,maybe a subscription?
Slippers?
What does he actually like? Obviously not whiskey ;)

Oh, how about a puppy?

I don't really think a puppy would be well recieved...:)

kittycat1 Jun 11th 2011 6:20 pm

Alexa- what does he actually like- that is a very good question! Like I said he is a miserable bugger! he likes hogging the tv remote, watching sport and well thats about it. Think Victor Meldrew and thats my dad on a good day. He's disabled, and diabetic so food and alcohol is tricky as he has to be very careful what he eats to keep his diabetes under control and activities are hard because of his disabilities.

Men are so hard to buy for! A magazine subscription is a good idea- just need to think what magazine. Maybe playboy... so wrong ewww.:frown:

BC I sent them a hamper at xmas so cant do that one again so soon!

Id like a puppy. Actually he has been speaking about getting another dog-but again its not easy- obviously not a puppy but one a little bit older- we used to have two but they both passed away a couple of years ago now and he is lost without them. My mum liked it as well as got him out the house a few hours each day. Not sure how I could choose one for him though. :unsure:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I will go off and do a magazines for old miserable men google search! :D

Alexa Jun 11th 2011 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9426172)
Alexa- what does he actually like- that is a very good question! Like I said he is a miserable bugger! he likes hogging the tv remote, watching sport and well thats about it. Think Victor Meldrew and thats my dad on a good day. He's disabled, and diabetic so food and alcohol is tricky as he has to be very careful what he eats to keep his diabetes under control and activities are hard because of his disabilities.

Men are so hard to buy for! A magazine subscription is a good idea- just need to think what magazine. Maybe playboy... so wrong ewww.:frown:

BC I sent them a hamper at xmas so cant do that one again so soon!

Id like a puppy. Actually he has been speaking about getting another dog-but again its not easy- obviously not a puppy but one a little bit older- we used to have two but they both passed away a couple of years ago now and he is lost without them. My mum liked it as well as got him out the house a few hours each day. Not sure how I could choose one for him though. :unsure:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I will go off and do a magazines for old miserable men google search! :D

lol at Victor Meldrew ! But seriously, a dog might just be the thing...why don't you contact the local shelter and see if they have something suitable for a miserable old bugger? :rofl:
They might just have the thing!

nottmbantam Jun 11th 2011 6:56 pm

Get him an Xbox 360 with Kinect. He'll love it, seriously.

My mate ( same age as me, late 40's ) got his Dad a PSP - loved it to bits, couldn't put it down.

Actually, he should be bloody well grateful you're making an effort - isn't it enough just to remind him of that....