British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Fast Tailor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/fast-tailor-836192/)

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 11th 2014 12:00 pm

Fast Tailor

Ladies and Gents,

I need to know any recommendations for a tailor in Dubai who can get a suit made fairly sharpish.

It looks like I'm flying back to the UK next Wednesday night for a funeral on the Thursday and don't own a black suit that fits. Buying off the shelf is tough because I'm tall and fat.

I'm going to ring my usual place but conscious they'll say they can but can't afford to be caught short.

Thanks in advance.

Scamp

Sandboy Jun 11th 2014 12:13 pm

Re: Fast Tailor

just hang around a car park in a shopping mall, not only will you get the suit you'll get a lift to the airport as well

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 11th 2014 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 11297734)
just hang around a car park in a shopping mall, not only will you get the suit you'll get a lift to the airport as well

:rofl::rofl: it might even be Armani...

NorthernLad Jun 11th 2014 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11297727)
Ladies and Gents,

I need to know any recommendations for a tailor in Dubai who can get a suit made fairly sharpish.

It looks like I'm flying back to the UK next Wednesday night for a funeral on the Thursday and don't own a black suit that fits. Buying off the shelf is tough because I'm tall and fat.

I'm going to ring my usual place but conscious they'll say they can but can't afford to be caught short.

Thanks in advance.

Scamp

I've had a suit from Kachins in four days before...that said, as with your usual place, it's not guaranteed.

martinbkk Jun 11th 2014 1:39 pm

Hope a flight to Bangkok, stroll down Sukhumvit, choose a tailor, get suit, fly back. Likely done in 48 hours maybe less, rub n tug optional!

BinCat Jun 11th 2014 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11297727)
Ladies and Gents,

Thanks in advance.

Scamp

Royal Fashion (or something like that) in Jumeirah Beach Hotel. Been there since 1997, make for tourist visitors so know what a deadline means! Not sure of prices though, tourists have probably ruined 'haggling'. Used to be 24 hours for a shirt, 48 - 72 hours for a suit. However, doesn't Blue Cat have contacts in that department? She's probably more up-to-date than I am.

archie159 Jun 11th 2014 5:45 pm

You don't really need a black suit for a funeral. Any dark, "sober" suit will be fine...

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 11th 2014 5:55 pm

Thanks all.

Turns out I think I won't be going. Flights are 6,600 for the days I need. Spoken to my pal and he understands. I'll certainly raise a glass though.

Thanks again for suggestions. Will probably try a new place soon so suggestions helpful.

MAV_DXB Jun 12th 2014 4:00 am

For future reference, there's a shop called Big n Tall that's on Bank Street in Bur Dubai. I walked past a few weeks ago, they had a T-Shirt in the window that was advertising the size 15XL :blink:

mikewot Jun 12th 2014 4:13 am

<<<@!1!@>>>Might be good for Scamps, this is one of his home videos:

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 12th 2014 6:49 am

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB (Post 11299026)
For future reference, there's a shop called Big n Tall that's on Bank Street in Bur Dubai. I walked past a few weeks ago, they had a T-Shirt in the window that was advertising the size 15XL :blink:

My old man used to shop in 'High and Mighty' in Southampton (he's 6ft5 and fat). I've literally never felt so small.

mikewot Jun 15th 2014 5:29 am

Since you are no longer in a rush how about this groupon: Suit Package for Men & Women

Option 1: AED 799 instead of AED 2,170
* One 2-piece suit
* One shirt
* One tie
* Two pocket square

The only problem I can see for you is: "Maximum of 4 yards of selected fabric per person for the suit. Fabric consumption yardage to be determined by master tailor. Maximum of 2 yards per shirt, any extra yards will have an additional charge."

the_red_sheep Jun 15th 2014 6:07 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11302334)
Since you are no longer in a rush how about this groupon: Suit Package for Men & Women

* One 2-piece suit
* One shirt
* One tie
* Two pocket square

The only problem I can see for you is: "Maximum of 4 yards of selected fabric per person for the suit. Fabric consumption yardage to be determined by master tailor. Maximum of 2 yards per shirt, any extra yards will have an additional charge."

I had a couple of suits made by these a year or two back – same or similar Groupon deal. Suits are decent and still going strong, the shirts I wasn’t so impressed with. The amount of material wasn’t an issue, for me anyway. They did try and up sell to better quality material and lining, but I didn’t bother with that.

Planning on getting one or two new ones made so might use them/the Groupon again.

mikewot Jun 15th 2014 6:13 am

You must cut a dash with those pocket squares. I hope you got 5, a different one for each working day ;)

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 15th 2014 7:22 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11302334)

* One 2-piece suit
* One shirt
* One tie
* Two pocket square

Can't remember exactly but think I'm a 4.5 yard kind of man. You know, real man size.

mikewot Jun 15th 2014 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11302381)
Can't remember exactly but think I'm a 4.5 yard kind of man. You know, fat bastard size.

Edited that for you, no charge as it's fathers day.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 15th 2014 8:59 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11302409)
Edited that for you, no charge as it's fathers day.

No. Man size. IE: 6ft plus with shoulders.

Now, run along pee-wee, the kids section at Next have some suits for you ;)

The_Citizen Jun 16th 2014 5:56 am

I have used Viva Style in Satwa a few times and never really had any issues. Quality has been always been good.

Tried the tailors in Ibn Battuta (Custom Shop) as they had a really good offer on but the quality wasn't as good.

The_Citizen Jun 16th 2014 5:56 am

I have used Viva Style in Satwa a few times and never really had any issues. Quality has been always been good.

Tried the tailors in Ibn Battuta (Custom Shop) as they had a really good offer on but the quality wasn't as good.