Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Farewell to a very brave lady..........

Farewell to a very brave lady..........

Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:03 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Farewell to a very brave lady..........

Originally Posted by Shadya
To Blue Cat and Spugsy, it's like asking who exactly is Bobby Robson? This magnificent lady will be sorely missed. RIP.
yeah I do understand pet, I just don;t know who she is, I'm sure she was amazing and will be missed.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:04 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadya
To Blue Cat and Spugsy, it's like asking who exactly is Bobby Robson? This magnificent lady will be sorely missed. RIP.
(by the way did you ask your husband for an example of who we'd know and he said bobby robson??)
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:30 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Farewell to a very brave lady..........

Originally Posted by Spugsy
so bad that maybe they all wished it had never changed and apartheid was still going on?
It's really bad mate .

A lot of people in cities live in gated communities, private police forces are employed for protection because there has been such a breakdown in government services and a lot of the people that have the oppertunity are leaving. It's not just black v.s. white any more, foreigners and different African tribes are becoming targets, a increasing sense of xenophobia is setting in among the disillusioned poor.

To put it in statistics:
Over 50,000 raped reported and almost 20,000 people killed last year (SAPS annual report) in a population of about 45 million.

Even Wikipedia lists it as the "Rape capital of the world".

It should have been so easy in South Africa with abundant natural resources, mineral rich, well run agricultural sector and a developed manufacturing sector producing a vast array of goods. It's just falling apart .

ETA: Good bit here on it from Al-Jazeera:

Last edited by Charismatic; Nov 11th 2008 at 7:38 am.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

its heading the same way Zimbabwe has gone. the skilled and educated are leaving in droves.

and now with Zuma coming into power it can only get worse.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Darkwan will become famous soon enoughDarkwan will become famous soon enough

Mariam Makeba was a great singer. One who will always make Africa proud.....

She will be greatly missed.

South Africa created and is facing the consequences of its actions. What do you expect of a country where 80% of the population were constantly maltreated and had no rights? After 45 years of inferior education, no jobs, no rights, etc, what did white South Africans expect? Abolish Apartheid and live happily ever after?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Darkwan
Mariam Makeba was a great singer. One who will always make Africa proud.....

She will be greatly missed.

South Africa created and is facing the consequences of its actions. What do you expect of a country where 80% of the population were constantly maltreated and had no rights? After 45 years of inferior education, no jobs, no rights, etc, what did white South Africans expect? Abolish Apartheid and live happily ever after?
it is more the problem of corrupt ineffective leaders. they can't always blame everything on white South Africans. look at pretty much every other African country thats had own rule for the past 45 years and you see the same story.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Darkwan will become famous soon enoughDarkwan will become famous soon enough

I know all about the ineffective, corrupt leaders on the African continent however there's more to it.

With GB, France and US trying to play god in these nations, funding their puppets to get in and stay in power, threatening them with no economic aid and unfavourable trade deals if the nations don't play ball, there will always be problems on the continent.

In SA's case you really didn't expect 80% of the population to vote for the same people who enslaved them for 45 years. It will take generations to get over their pain and bitterness. It might be too late. In my opinion the nice, safe, pretty SA we all knew was maintained on a false balance (to the benefit of one race). It's quite natural for the scale to tip the other way when whatever propped the balance is removed.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I am sorry but I have never heard of her, sad all the same though
you cant be serious

but then again each to his/her own
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:42 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by alfrombarking
you cant be serious

why can't she be serious? Do you expect people to know every singer in the world?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
why can't she be serious? Do you expect people to know every singer in the world?
Sorry Spugsy, but Mama Africa was famous.............

Still I'm sure Blue Cat wasn't trying to offend anyone - it was my original post and I wasn't offended.

Surprised, yes. Offended, no.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:09 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by The Dean
Sorry Spugsy, but Mama Africa was famous.............

Still I'm sure Blue Cat wasn't trying to offend anyone - it was my original post and I wasn't offended.

Surprised, yes. Offended, no.
can't say I know many African singers at all to be honest.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:26 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfrombarking
you cant be serious

sorry I didn't know who she was, and I used to live in south africa so I should be doubly ashamed
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:50 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

sorry I didn't know who she was, and I used to live in south africa so I should be doubly ashamed
No milk for you tonight!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:50 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
No milk for you tonight!
cats don't drink milk
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:52 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

cats don't drink milk
OK then, no gin for you tonight...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.