British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Farewell to a very brave lady.......... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/farewell-very-brave-lady-572244/)

The Dean Nov 10th 2008 9:32 am

Farewell to a very brave lady..........

1 Attachment(s)
Miriam Makeba died last night, after collapsing on stage in Italy.

Apart from having a marvellous voice, she was an energetic anti-apartheid campaigner while exiled from South Africa for many years.

This barely does her justice:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...keba-dies.html

Blue Cat Nov 10th 2008 12:04 pm

Re: Farewell to a very brave lady..........

I am sorry but I have never heard of her, sad all the same though :(

The Dean Nov 10th 2008 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6958450)
I am sorry but I have never heard of her, sad all the same though :(

The SA government at the height of apartheid tried everything to shut her up, exiling her, banning her records, etc...................

.......... but the icing on the cake was when she tried to return to SA for her mother's funeral - and was told her passport had "expired".......... bastards.

My SA mates reckon she was as big a female 'name' as Mandela is as a male name............ but she was exiled rather than imprisoned, so never became the focal point of protests like he did.

Charismatic Nov 10th 2008 6:00 pm

Right...

I can never help looking at South Africa now and wondering if they thought their struggle was in vein? I've never been but from South Africans who've left I get the distinct impression that the country is regressing into a spiral of violence and crime that seems to have touched everyone. What sort of freedom is there in that?

The Dean Nov 10th 2008 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 6959319)
Right...

I can never help looking at South Africa now and wondering if they thought their struggle was in vein? I've never been but from South Africans who've left I get the distinct impression that the country is regressing into a spiral of violence and crime that seems to have touched everyone. What sort of freedom is there in that?

Just deleted my reply as it suddenly seemed hypocritical of me to post it in a thread about this wonderful lady.......

............. maybe tomorrow in another thread...........

MataHari Nov 11th 2008 3:16 am

she was very well known in Holland...

W10 Nov 11th 2008 3:29 am

Right...

RIP Miriam Makeba :-(

There is no doubt that the country has some serious problems these days, but which South Africans are the one which mostly leave?

Spugsy Nov 11th 2008 4:32 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6958136)
Miriam Makeba died last night, after collapsing on stage in Italy.

Apart from having a marvellous voice, she was an energetic anti-apartheid campaigner while exiled from South Africa for many years.

This barely does her justice:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...keba-dies.html

I have to say, I've never heard of her.

Spugsy Nov 11th 2008 4:33 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6960776)
she was very well known in Holland...

yeah but so were 'sniff'n'the tears' :)

Spugsy Nov 11th 2008 4:34 am

Right...

you come out with some real shit sometimes, you know that?

Blue Cat Nov 11th 2008 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6960908)

he is right Spugsy, South Africa is a right mess :(

Spugsy Nov 11th 2008 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6960920)
he is right Spugsy, South Africa is a right mess :(

so bad that maybe they all wished it had never changed and apartheid was still going on?

The Dean Nov 11th 2008 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6960908)

OK yesterday was my 'day of respect' for Mama Africa.........

Today........... sorry Spugsy, but Charismatic has it right.

Of course nobody is allowed to say so, because a proud but oppressed people, supported by the 'rest of the world', rose up and shook off the weight of the apartheid jackboot which had been firmly applied to the backs of their necks for generations, and the proud rainbow nation (sic) can now look at the rest of the world with pride, as a shining example of what can be achieved when ..... etc ..... etc .....

Many of the black majority are now starting to think the unthinkable - that many of them were simply better off - not socially, not morally, but economically - under apartheid......

Tough one to come to terms with, that............

Shadya Nov 11th 2008 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6960903)
I have to say, I've never heard of her.

To Blue Cat and Spugsy, it's like asking who exactly is Bobby Robson? This magnificent lady will be sorely missed. RIP.

Spugsy Nov 11th 2008 5:03 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6960947)
OK yesterday was my 'day of respect' for Mama Africa.........

Today........... sorry Spugsy, but Charismatic has it right.

Of course nobody is allowed to say so, because a proud but oppressed people, supported by the 'rest of the world', rose up and shook off the weight of the apartheid jackboot which had been firmly applied to the backs of their necks for generations, and the proud rainbow nation (sic) can now look at the rest of the world with pride, as a shining example of what can be achieved when ..... etc ..... etc .....

Many of the black majority are now starting to think the unthinkable - that many of them were simply better off - not socially, not morally, but economically - under apartheid......

Tough one to come to terms with, that............

tell me more...