Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Family holiday in Asia - suggestions?

Family holiday in Asia - suggestions?

Old Aug 26th 2014, 6:56 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family holiday in Asia - suggestions?

Nonthaburi, you've been to Thailand very recently, what's the deal now with the Army in control?

I heard that in Phuket they've bulldozed a LOT of the beach bars and cleared the beaches of sunbeds Noted that you haven't been to Phuket, but I'm just wondering generally. What's the word on the ground?

For the OP, I think I would definitely put Singapore at the top of the list. Some folks say it is Asia for beginners. And there really is so much for the kids to do.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

The Asian family holiday was one of our regular treats when we were in ME

always on the relative cheap

KL & Club Med Cherating Beach
Singapore and Club Med Bintan
HK
Phuket
HCMC
BKK

not really feasible now back in the UK. Week all inclusive in Shagaluf is all I've got to look forward to :-(
Old Aug 26th 2014, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

carolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond repute

Others have already made good suggestions. Should you decide to experience Thailand, November to Jan could work well, perhaps plan in advance.

I’d opt for Chiang-Mai instead of Bangkok – Ayutthaya has some nice things to see, though these cities (Bangkok and Ayutthaya -- though learning about Ayutthaya Kingdom could be nice) would be 1 or 2 days worth experiencing rather than your whole trip

Sentosa (Singapore) might work well, kids might enjoy Universal Studios Singapore a lot. Also, language wouldn't be an issue and you wouldn't have to think about how to handle touts and such

Last edited by carolina212; Aug 26th 2014 at 7:23 am.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 7:26 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
We used to live in SEA so knew to keep kids away from certain areas (eg we stayed in SW of Koch Samui and south of Phuket). Plus side of October *is* rain and also cheaper when you stay during that season.

I personally found Krabi full of young mostly American teenagers and backpackers. Phangna is good.
Definitely agree about the rain. Just came back from summer holidays in Thailand and after being in Saudi, a 2 hour downpour in the afternoon and greenery everywhere is perfect.

If you rent a car the whole area around Krabi and Phangna is great with a lot of things to do. Most people stay in AoNang and Riley and never get out to other places.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 7:37 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Nonthaburi, you've been to Thailand very recently, what's the deal now with the Army in control?

I heard that in Phuket they've bulldozed a LOT of the beach bars and cleared the beaches of sunbeds Noted that you haven't been to Phuket, but I'm just wondering generally. What's the word on the ground?

For the OP, I think I would definitely put Singapore at the top of the list. Some folks say it is Asia for beginners. And there really is so much for the kids to do.
Regarding the Army, apart from there being a lot of soldiers around in BKK at army checkpoints on major highways you won't really notice them. There are a lot of restrictions in the media but as a foreigner you wouldn't notice this. You can't buy alcohol at Morchit bus station anymore

They have cleared a lot of places in Phuket and apparently they're trying to clean up the taxi mafia there. This is an excellent article that goes into far more detail than I could.
The great Phuket cleanup | Bangkok Post: news

A lot of public opinion is behind the Army because it does seem that laws are actually being enforced. My nephew did get dragged out of his house in the middle of the night, taken to a field, beaten up for two hours and threatened with death if he didn't stop certain illegal activities though. So all the people saying how they're so good compared to Thaksin should make note of things like this
Old Aug 26th 2014, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Probably good for a day trip from Bangkok but you couldn't spend you whole holiday there.
Some nice temples in the old city though.
Yeah, but if you have a car and drive, there's great stuff to see within a couple of hours.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolina212
Others have already made good suggestions. Should you decide to experience Thailand, November to Jan could work well, perhaps plan in advance.

I’d opt for Chiang-Mai instead of Bangkok – Ayutthaya has some nice things to see, though these cities (Bangkok and Ayutthaya -- though learning about Ayutthaya Kingdom could be nice) would be 1 or 2 days worth experiencing rather than your whole trip

Sentosa (Singapore) might work well, kids might enjoy Universal Studios Singapore a lot. Also, language wouldn't be an issue and you wouldn't have to think about how to handle touts and such
If you drive from Bangkok up to Chiang-Mai, and back again, it's a pretty good trip, but probably take more than one week - I think we did it comfortably in a couple of weeks. Gave us enough time to see heaps of stuff, and you have to allow a lot of time for the winding mountains roads on some routes.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean

you really wouldn't want to swim in the sea in Singapore though!
Old Aug 26th 2014, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point

So HK has more variety than Singapore?
And similar cost?
Old Aug 26th 2014, 3:27 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah. Don't eat local seafood in Singapore.

HK I just never liked. Too busy.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Crewegirl is on a distinguished road

We have just come back from Samui and can recommend with kids in tow as we went as a family of 4 and stayed in Bophut. Hired a car for a few days and saw all we could see. Great place and actually prefer it to Phuket.
Bali is also good if you get a great hotel with all inclusive and kids entertainment but we prefer Thailand to Bali.
As for Hong Kong....not a place a would take the kids but that's just my opinion. Too busy and to be honest kids don't really understand the whole city holiday thing.
Koh Samui if I was you. We were told it would rain the whole time we were there yet it rained twice which we loved.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 10:43 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have kids do research on Singapore. Pick a hotel in Sentosa Island (we stayed at hard rock and shangri la sentosa). The island if fun with activitiy. 7 hours flight from ME.

Bali is good .... you can do quad biking and go karting (depend on your kids age). Taro Elephant park does Elephant related activities aim to family.

Do research on Tioman - Langkawi - Penang.

There are Hard Rock Hotel in Penang in Batu Ferringhi (popular beach area) or you can stay in George town.

If you go to Phuket make sure you cross to Phi Phi Island. Last time we were there we stayed in Holiday Inn Resort in Phi Phil. Always want to come back but never make it till now.

Hope this help.