British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   FA Cup (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/fa-cup-537183/)

scarletfan May 17th 2008 9:01 am

FA Cup

About the only football game I watch year in year out is the FA cup final, and no it has nothing to do with the fact Cardiff are involved this year.
Just looked at the online Schedule for Showtime Sports, and it's not listed. Does anybody know if and what channel it is on?

BangleMan May 17th 2008 9:03 am

Re: FA Cup

Originally Posted by scarletfan (Post 6361920)
About the only football game I watch year in year out is the FA cup final, and no it has nothing to do with the fact Cardiff are involved this year.
Just looked at the online Schedule for Showtime Sports, and it's not listed. Does anybody know if and what channel it is on?

Am sure it will be on Al Jazerra+1 or one of the Al Jazeera channels.....dodgy comentary though !

MissDemeanor May 17th 2008 9:07 am

Originally Posted by scarletfan (Post 6361920)

Christ!Does this mean I get to watch a football match without you moaning about what a boring sport it is?!!

scarletfan May 17th 2008 9:10 am

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 6361932)
Christ!Does this mean I get to watch a football match without you moaning about what a boring sport it is?!!

P**s off in the kitchen and bake Inse a pie!

scarletfan May 17th 2008 9:12 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 6361927)
Am sure it will be on Al Jazerra+1 or one of the Al Jazeera channels.....dodgy comentary though !

Cheers BM. Are you tipping Portsmouth to win? Always seems strange that a Welsh football club that plays in the English league can win the FA cup, yet I remember discussions a few years ago about the top Scottish sides playing in the English league which fizzled away to nothing. Why was that?

The Dean May 17th 2008 9:24 am

Originally Posted by scarletfan (Post 6361954)
Cheers BM. Are you tipping Portsmouth to win? Always seems strange that a Welsh football club that plays in the English league can win the FA cup, yet I remember discussions a few years ago about the top Scottish sides playing in the English league which fizzled away to nothing. Why was that?

Hi SF,

Yea there was vague talk of Celtic and Rangers entering the Premiership at one stage but two things blocked it...........

1 - UEFA said they couldn't enter the Champions League even if they "qualified" through a high enough finish - because they weren't English.....

2 - ....... and they couldn't enter as Scottish teams - because they hadn't competed in the SPL.........

Catch-22.........

I also think they realised - privately - that they wouldn't be as competitive in the EPL as they might have originally thought......... from what I've seen in the last two or three seasons, I'd rate them in the Tottenham/West Ham class....... good enough to give everyone a decent game but not threatening to qualify for Europe.

Coxy the Bear May 17th 2008 11:14 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6361982)
Hi SF,

Yea there was vague talk of Celtic and Rangers entering the Premiership at one stage but two things blocked it...........

1 - UEFA said they couldn't enter the Champions League even if they "qualified" through a high enough finish - because they weren't English.....

2 - ....... and they couldn't enter as Scottish teams - because they hadn't competed in the SPL.........

Catch-22.........

I also think they realised - privately - that they wouldn't be as competitive in the EPL as they might have originally thought......... from what I've seen in the last two or three seasons, I'd rate them in the Tottenham/West Ham class....... good enough to give everyone a decent game but not threatening to qualify for Europe.

Haven't Tottenham qualified for Europe? And didn't Berwick win or get through to the final of the FA cup once?

ScotsExpat May 17th 2008 11:19 am

Anyone watching it and where?? No power or water in the house just now, so looking for an excuse to get out.....

Karlos The Jackal May 17th 2008 11:21 am

Tottenham have not qualified for Europe they finished 11th !

Man City have qualified through the 'fair play league' despite having a player sent off last weekend during their 8-1 defeat to The Smog Monsters !

CeeBee May 17th 2008 12:04 pm

Hi SF,

Catch-22.........

I'll probablu get hung out to dry for this but if Celtic / Rangers joined the EPL they'd both be mid table clubs. Its pointless. And they are not welcome in the UK after the disgraceful behaviour on Wednesday. That has ruined our cup final on wednesday. Thats all I have to say.

zabone May 17th 2008 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal (Post 6362278)
Tottenham have not qualified for Europe they finished 11th !

Man City have qualified through the 'fair play league' despite having a player sent off last weekend during their 8-1 defeat to The Smog Monsters !

haven't spurs qualified for the uefa for winning the carling cup ?

ScotsExpat May 17th 2008 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 6362373)
I'll probablu get hung out to dry for this but if Celtic / Rangers joined the EPL they'd both be mid table clubs. Its pointless. And they are not welcome in the UK after the disgraceful behaviour on Wednesday. That has ruined our cup final on wednesday. Thats all I have to say.

I always have a little chuckle when I hear English fans decrying fan misbehaviour...

The English have a worldwide reputation for exactly that, you even trashed your own cities when you held the Euros...

Over 100,000 Scots in Manc land and less than 50 arrests....

Anyone Englishmen want me to point out the arrest reports when France held the World Cup???

....I am in no way condoning what they did, hell they are unwashed Rankers fans, after all...Surprised they managed to stretch their Giros to cover the one night lie in!!!!

MacScot May 17th 2008 12:24 pm

...there was vague talk of Celtic and Rangers entering the Premiership at one stage but two things blocked it...........

A move to the Premiership would give both Old Firm clubs a significant financial boost, as well as playing top English teams. However, many of the clubs in the English Premiership - the smaller clubs fear their displacement and consequent loss of revenue. The larger clubs fear a reduced potential for qualification for European competitions.

There also fears of a merger of SFA and FA to form a British FA. It might be a slippery slope to there being no Scotland or England national football teams.

I don't think the SFA wants it, seeing football was invented in Scotland.

The Dean May 17th 2008 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 6362373)

Hung out to dry?

Why? I've already written exactly the same thing...........

I suppose, to be fair, that playing good teams every week would eventually improve their performances - but the top English clubs will also get to know THEM better.....

Still, after the UEFA ruling I can't see it happening.

Back to playing St Mirren then......... and qualifying for the Champions League.

Karlos The Jackal May 17th 2008 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by zabone (Post 6362388)
haven't spurs qualified for the uefa for winning the carling cup ?

Good point Zabone, I'd forgotten about that ! :o