The eye of a needle.

Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute
Default The eye of a needle.

This guy is amazing.I saw him on telly a while ago showing some of the art he has done and I was gobsmacked.Everything he does is just from his own sight..no microscopes or anything.He sculpts them with a shard of broken diamond.
Christ,I strain to see the tv without my glasses on!!

To commemorate Barack Obama's inauguration one artist has made a sculpture of the US President and his family so small, it fits in the eye of a needle.

These microscopic figures are smaller than a full stop on a newspaper and took seven weeks to make.

Creator Willard Wigan said he wanted to design "the smallest tribute possible" to commemorate the "massive occasion" of the inauguration of America's first black president.

The minute figures are made from a tiny piece of hard nylon which Mr Wigan painted using a hair from a dead fly.

He then took one of his own eyelashes to position the figures on a specially-made gold needle and worked between heartbeats to avoid making mistakes.

Mr Wigan, who has been awarded an MBE, said: "It's something I never thought would happen in my lifetime. I thought I would do the smallest biggest tribute to mark the occasion."

Mr Wigan would love his work to be displayed at the White House and said Mr Obama would be "knocked unconscious" if he saw the sculpture.

In his 46-year career Mr Wigan has made sculptures of The Wizard of Oz characters in the eye of a needle and Elvis on a pinhead.

The fascination with small art began aged five when he built an adventure playground for ants in his parent's garden.

"It's the most punishing work in the world," said Mr Wigan. "I've got better over the years but you've not seen the best of me yet."
Attached Thumbnails The eye of a needle.-.jpg  
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The eye of a needle.

First read about this guy some time ago on the BBC web site. Some of his work has fetched big money, people buying them privately to add to their collections.

IIRC , he didn't do well at school , but has since hit the - ahem - BIG time with his work.

Its amazing, absolutely fantastic.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:54 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
This guy is amazing.I saw him on telly a while ago showing some of the art he has done and I was gobsmacked.Everything he does is just from his own sight..no microscopes or anything.He sculpts them with a shard of broken diamond.
Christ,I strain to see the tv without my glasses on!!

To commemorate Barack Obama's inauguration one artist has made a sculpture of the US President and his family so small, it fits in the eye of a needle.

These microscopic figures are smaller than a full stop on a newspaper and took seven weeks to make.

Creator Willard Wigan said he wanted to design "the smallest tribute possible" to commemorate the "massive occasion" of the inauguration of America's first black president.

The minute figures are made from a tiny piece of hard nylon which Mr Wigan painted using a hair from a dead fly.

He then took one of his own eyelashes to position the figures on a specially-made gold needle and worked between heartbeats to avoid making mistakes.

Mr Wigan, who has been awarded an MBE, said: "It's something I never thought would happen in my lifetime. I thought I would do the smallest biggest tribute to mark the occasion."

Mr Wigan would love his work to be displayed at the White House and said Mr Obama would be "knocked unconscious" if he saw the sculpture.

In his 46-year career Mr Wigan has made sculptures of The Wizard of Oz characters in the eye of a needle and Elvis on a pinhead.

The fascination with small art began aged five when he built an adventure playground for ants in his parent's garden.

"It's the most punishing work in the world," said Mr Wigan. "I've got better over the years but you've not seen the best of me yet."
I thought this was going to be a post about you having the squits.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I thought this was going to be a post about you having the squits.
trust you.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:27 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

I viewed some of his work that was on display at Microworld in Jersey in the Channel Islands, was really intersting, they had microscopes over all of the exhibits, obviously it was quite a small museum

I think it's closed down now.

B
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:32 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I just think...why
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:39 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
First read about this guy some time ago on the BBC web site. Some of his work has fetched big money, people buying them privately to add to their collections.

IIRC , he didn't do well at school , but has since hit the - ahem - BIG time with his work.

Its amazing, absolutely fantastic.
Originally Posted by MataHari
I just think...why

There seems to be a connexion between kids with mild autism thru to Aspergers who have an incredible gift for doing things like this.......
I did some work and research with kids with this condition yonks ago and the work some of em produced was quite stunning.
From detailed drawings on a minute scale to car 'art', i.e spraying/painting the bodywork of vehicles;amazing artwork-again patterns done on the smallest scale...............
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I just think...why
To be able to do what he does is enough reason!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:44 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
To be able to do what he does is enough reason!
it annoys me for some reason...although I do wish my kids would have a nice quiet little hobby like that...
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

These ones are good..
Attached Thumbnails The eye of a needle.-.jpg   The eye of a needle.-a3.jpg  
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:03 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

I just think...why
..why?..money I think !

A Wiltshire bargain-hunter, who snapped up three micro sculptures for £20 at a Swindon car boot sale, discovered that they were in fact stolen works of art by micro-sculptor Willard Wiggan and worth £500,000.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MacScot
..why?..money I think !

A Wiltshire bargain-hunter, who snapped up three micro sculptures for £20 at a Swindon car boot sale, discovered that they were in fact stolen works of art by micro-sculptor Willard Wiggan and worth £500,000.
god I hate that.
when you hear those stories about people picking up these amazing things worth a fortune at car boot sales,but whenever you get dragged to one it is always cold,raining and full of tat!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:48 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

I just think...why
imagine if you came in drunk and sat on your whole collection?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:50 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
imagine if you came in drunk and sat on your whole collection?

You'd feel a bit of a prick now and again

Last edited by Eva; Jan 21st 2009 at 2:18 pm. Reason: grammar