British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Exporting a car Dubai -> Switzerland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/exporting-car-dubai-switzerland-703147/)

jam25mack Jan 31st 2011 5:55 pm

Exporting a car Dubai -> Switzerland

Hi all,

Before anyone tells me off for not saying hello, I have been on here before but couldn't remember my user name.

Anyway, hello again!

I have a question.... the Mrs and I are looking to move to Geneva and I want to talk my Jeep and motorbike with me.

Does anyone know whats involved? Also to add to the pain I know the Swiss are a bit weird when it comes to non standard cars etc and my Jeep is pretty heavilly tuned up and the bile is also (to a lesser degree) non standard.

Any ideas? Should I just lesten to the Mrs and sell em and get new ones over there?

Cheers

Jamie

rossbrown Feb 1st 2011 10:48 am

Re: Exporting a car Dubai -> Switzerland

Keep them mate!!

it will cost around 3k pounds sterling for a 30ft container, 3k is less than loosing a heap more selling then buying again. theres lots of companys on the net that will take care of everything for you.

I sold my beloved gixxer in the uk before comeing here, now every saudi bike salesman wants to double the price of the bike cos im a white face!!!

shouldnt of listened to the wife and transported it!!

hope it works out.:thumbsup:

Ethos83 Feb 1st 2011 11:07 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 9141949)
I know the Swiss are a bit weird when it comes to non standard cars etc and my Jeep is pretty heavilly tuned up and the bile is also (to a lesser degree) non standard.

So are the Americans. Can't import a car with Gulf specs to the US without having it upgraded to American specs. The cost of shipping the car + the cost of converting its systems to American specs is more than the cost of buying a brand new car.

I imagine Switzerland is similar.

GuyinUAE Feb 1st 2011 3:09 pm

Jeep is unlikely to conform to EU4/5 specification, so I doubt you'd be able to do it. Also, you're right, modifications are frowned upon there. Personally, I'd sell it. You need to get the certificate of conformity first from the Manufacturer here.

Gheko Feb 1st 2011 8:13 pm

Get yourself a trailer, Throw the bike on it, hook it up to the jeep and drive it there. I just bought a cheap motor and Im driving it to the UK in September which is a bit further I think.

Oh, and by the way, Never listen to your other half when it comes to things that run on petrol. They just don't understand...

jam25mack Feb 4th 2011 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE (Post 9144291)
Jeep is unlikely to conform to EU4/5 specification, so I doubt you'd be able to do it. Also, you're right, modifications are frowned upon there. Personally, I'd sell it. You need to get the certificate of conformity first from the Manufacturer here.

Thats what I was thinking.....the Jeep is pretty much fully modded so I am thinking it will be a nightmare. The bike, however, (GSXR 750) only has a yoshi pipe and a filter and I have the OE so I can whack em back on if need be. So the bike may be different.

Maybe sell the Jeep:( and keep the Gixxer ;)

Originally Posted by Gheko (Post 9144291)
Oh, and by the way, Never listen to your other half when it comes to things that run on petrol. They just don't understand....

Ha ha, normally I would agree but my Mrs has a beemer that she would never sell if she could get away with it. She also has a history of driving Lambos, Ferraris etc so generally we are on the same wavelength.

Bahtatboy Feb 6th 2011 9:37 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 9152947)
She also has a history of driving Lambos, Ferraris etc so generally we are on the same wavelength.

And you're not keeping her in the luxury she was accustomed to?

jam25mack Feb 7th 2011 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9155967)
And you're not keeping her in the luxury she was accustomed to?

Not even close, although I do let her drive my Corolla now and again! Only on high days and holidays mind! Lucky thing!

flares Feb 8th 2011 3:07 am

Just got back from skiing in Switzerland - not a cheap place. i.e New Ford Kuga equivalent to 30k GBP.

Worth looking into the possibility of exporting both in my opinion.

Also a quirk I've noticed on other visits is that they love an old Subaru 4x4. Dirt cheap everywhere else in the world but sought after in Switzerland

My Jeep has place of origin as Austria on its registration so it's almost a local!!