Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Explain tattoos, please

Explain tattoos, please

Old Feb 26th 2017, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Explain tattoos, please

All right But not too much. I'm starting to pigeonhole myself into a stereotype I'd rather avoid

What you want are long-fibre and combed cotton (both). The label should explicitly say both. Long-fibre refers to the length of the raw cotton, which is longer than your typical 'short' cotton and is softer and more delicate. Egypt's Nile Valley is particularly great at growing this type of cotton.

Combed is the method in which the cotton is harvested and collected. The cotton is carded and the fibres separated and aligned with one another and combed so that only the most durable and strongest of the fibre remains. This results in a much sturdier product that won't wear out quickly, making it ideal for bed linens (very good quality linens do last a very, very long time, making them a decent investment from that perspective).

The third element is thread count, which refers to the number of threads per square inch of your linen. Because of the long (and soft) nature of Egyptian cotton, it can be woven into a high thread count, much higher than your typical cotton. In general, the higher the thread count, the silkier the sheet will feel. But there's no need to go superhigh in thread counts. Up to 500 is great. More than that is either fraudulent (see below) or it reaches a point where the threads become so tightly bunched that they start to stiffen and defeats the point of having high thread count linens. Your good quality hotel linens will be anywhere from 180 to 300 and that's really all you need for a good night's sleep.

In reference to fraud, some manufacturers will take a lower thread count product and two or four ply it and presto, the thread count has been doubled or quadrupled. When looking at your linen's label, if it mentions two or four ply, then you know the thread count listed is artificially inflated. Linens at places like Home Centre are likely to be in this category.

Had enough?

The cheat answer is: buy from a French label. They really know their linens and you won't be cheated.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Feb 26th 2017 at 5:32 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 5:36 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
All right But not too much. I'm starting to pigeonhole myself into a stereotype I'd rather avoid

What you want are long-fibre and combed cotton (both). The label should explicitly say both. Long-fibre refers to the length of the raw cotton, which is longer than your typical 'short' cotton and is softer and more delicate. Egypt's Nile Valley is particularly great at growing this type of cotton.

Combed is the method in which the cotton is harvested and collected. The cotton is carded and the fibres separated and aligned with one another and combed so that only the most durable and strongest of the fibre remains. This results in a much sturdier product that won't wear out quickly, making it ideal for bed linens (very good quality linens do last a very, very long time, making them a decent investment from that perspective).

The third element is thread count, which refers to the number of threads per square inch of your linen. Because of the long (and soft) nature of Egyptian cotton, it can be woven into a high thread count, much higher than your typical cotton. In general, the higher the thread count, the silkier the sheet will feel. But there's no need to go superhigh in thread counts. Up to 500 is great. More than that is either fraudulent (see below) or it reaches a point where the threads become so tightly bunched that they start to stiffen and defeats the point of having high thread count linens. Your good quality hotel linens will be anywhere from 180 to 300 and that's really all you need for a good night's sleep.

In reference to fraud, some manufacturers will take a lower thread count product and two or four ply it and presto, the thread count has been doubled or quadrupled. When looking at your linen's label, if it mentions two or four ply, then you know the thread count listed is artificially inflated. Linens at places like Home Centre are likely to be in this category.

Had enough?

The cheat answer is: buy from a French label. They really know their linens and you won't be cheated.
While this forum is mostly an anaemic malnourished version of its former self, getting to this - completely organically - on a thread about tattoos shows there are occasional gems still to be mined....
Old Feb 27th 2017, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Had enough?

Goodness me, and I thought bed sheets were just, errr - bed sheets.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

You spend a third of your life sleeping on a bed. Why not make it a nice experience? Good mattress and good linens make a good investment
Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You spend a third of your life sleeping on a bed. Why not make it a nice experience? Good mattress and good linens make a good investment
One day you'll make someone a great housewife.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Precisely. I have a set of lovely sheets my parents gave me as a wedding gift in 1994. They still look and feel great. They've actually lasted longer than the marriage.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:23 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Precisely. I have a set of lovely sheets my parents gave me as a wedding gift in 1994. They still look and feel great. They've actually lasted longer than the marriage.
Good that you popped in as it gives me the opportunity to clarify that I am your friend. It appears that some people may not have been aware.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Good that you popped in as it gives me the opportunity to clarify that I am your friend. It appears that some people may not have been aware.
Okayyyyy then.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Had enough?

Any chance of rundown on the latest Dyson ?
Old Feb 28th 2017, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Any chance of rundown on the latest Dyson ?
It sucks!
Old Feb 28th 2017, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

I am not that fussy but I'll pass along a bit of wisdom from trial and error:

Rule #1: Don't buy the cheapest version.

Rule #2: Don't buy the second cheapest version.

Rule #3: Don't let the maid take it apart to wash all the bits because she will break it.

What you want is power. Let 'er roar, baby. Feel that sucking
Old Feb 28th 2017, 9:53 am
...we killed the flame

Apparently the guaranteed best-seller on any restaurant wine card is the second cheapest bottle. So avoid...
Old Feb 28th 2017, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

I am not that fussy but I'll pass along a bit of wisdom from trial and error:

Rule #1: Don't buy the cheapest version.

Rule #3: Don't let the maid take it apart to wash all the bits because she will break it.

What you want is power. Let 'er roar, baby. Feel that sucking

Never buy cheap Game
Old Feb 28th 2017, 12:04 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Never buy cheap Game
Very celver.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Never buy cheap Game
What about a preowned one from Virgin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.