British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Explain tattoos, please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/explain-tattoos-please-891934/)

DXBtoDOH Feb 21st 2017 11:02 am

Explain tattoos, please

I glanced through the facebook profile of someone I briefly knew years ago, when I first came to Dubai. He had a fair amount of ink back in those days, along the lines of multiple stars in various locations (I'm sure you've seen similar). Also had a fit torso for he worked out.

In his most recent pic, showing him topless on a beach in Australia, he has put on a lot of weight. And the tattoos look like, let's put it politely, (actually, I can't), shite.

Do people who get tattoos ever think about the inevitable day when they're ageing and fat? Don't they ever see the tats of middle aged and older and ever think, good god, what a blurry mess.

I seem to be missing something here :blink:

Note: I am aware and can concede that there are very lovely tattoos and that the right image on the right body can be quite decent looking, but it still seems ephemeral.

jam25mack Feb 21st 2017 11:08 am

Re: Explain tattoos, please

Is his name Joey? Sounds very much like an Aussie guy I know.

I like tattoos..... although I have none and IIH can never see me getting any. I see a design I like, think yeah I like that.... and then forget about it....I then come across it again and thank god I didn't get it.

Might get some when I am older and don't give a f**K tho!

DXBtoDOH Feb 21st 2017 11:23 am

No, but one Aussie's pretty much the same as another Aussie ;)

I do know some people who have full arm tattoos and every inch of their torso covered with a tattoo. This is strictly a personal observation based on those handful of people, but it seems those who are willing to go the whole hog also know to invest in top notch quality ink, so it works on them, even as they age.

There's an astonishing amount of bad ink out there that it's surprising tats ever took off.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 21st 2017 11:29 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12185593)
I like tattoos..... although I have none and IIH can never see me getting any. I see a design I like, think yeah I like that.... and then forget about it....I then come across it again and thank god I didn't get it.

Might get some when I am older and don't give a f**K tho!

Same here. Exactly the same.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12185601)
I do know some people who have full arm tattoos and every inch of their torso covered with a tattoo. This is strictly a personal observation based on those handful of people, but it seems those who are willing to go the whole hog also know to invest in top notch quality ink, so it works on them, even as they age.

There's an astonishing amount of bad ink out there that it's surprising tats ever took off.

Yeah, very true. Get them done properly. I Have a mate who's got both sleeves and legs done. Lots of body too. Most, not all, but most look ****ing amazing. Makes all the difference to the shit ones on his body that he hasn't had re-done.

co durham boy Feb 22nd 2017 3:29 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12185589)
I glanced through the facebook profile of someone I briefly knew years ago, when I first came to Dubai. He had a fair amount of ink back in those days, along the lines of multiple stars in various locations (I'm sure you've seen similar). Also had a fit torso for he worked out.

In his most recent pic, showing him topless on a beach in Australia, he has put on a lot of weight. And the tattoos look like, let's put it politely, (actually, I can't), shite.

Do people who get tattoos ever think about the inevitable day when they're ageing and fat? Don't they ever see the tats of middle aged and older and ever think, good god, what a blurry mess.

I seem to be missing something here :blink:

Note: I am aware and can concede that there are very lovely tattoos and that the right image on the right body can be quite decent looking, but it still seems ephemeral.

I've got loads , going back 25 years but nothing you could visibly see at work . Loads of rework and stuff I've had done all over the world and some really good stuff that's now deemed fashionable.

Some dot work from Cambodia , Bamboo pinning from Thailand , ex wives names covered up and all that shite , plus all the rework i'v had done here in Dubai.

I'm not that old and definitely not fat , might terrorise a few in the nursing home in a few years but i'll be dribbling porridge by then so it won't matter ;)

mission Feb 22nd 2017 6:23 am

hate tattoos - end of.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 22nd 2017 6:35 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12186282)
Some dot work from Cambodia , Bamboo pinning from Thailand , ex wives names covered up and all that shite , plus all the rework i'v had done here in Dubai.

Sounds like a real mix. :thumbup:

My mate has a black strap around his wrist covering his ex-wife's name.

Didn't learn, has his new wife's name as well. :rofl::rofl:

co durham boy Feb 22nd 2017 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12186404)
Sounds like a real mix. :thumbup:

My mate has a black strap around his wrist covering his ex-wife's name.

Didn't learn, has his new wife's name as well. :rofl::rofl:

Names are really difficult to cover . I used a Chinese dragon which seemed very apt

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 22nd 2017 7:02 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12186422)
Names are really difficult to cover . I used a Chinese dragon which seemed very apt

:rofl::rofl:

How big was the bloody name?

Dorothy Feb 22nd 2017 7:07 am

1 Attachment(s)
I have 3. One is for my dad -it's the same design as a necklace he bought me. One is a bit of an abstract of 2 letter "C"s that from my view look like hearts. They're for my children's names which both strangely enough start with C. The third is a very small maple leaf above my heart for my Canadian heritage.

My daughter and I are getting matching ones in July on what would have been my son's 21st birthday.

co durham boy Feb 22nd 2017 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12186436)
:rofl::rofl:

How big was the bloody name?

Only 6 letters but you need something that can be covered and you need to lose the letters in dark mass usually , that's why cover ups are the favourite thing to do for Tattooists as they're restricted .

It was a Hokkien Chinese guy who did it and he did a great job , very hard to find.

DXBtoDOH Feb 22nd 2017 7:45 am

Just reading this thread is making me wince. The very thought of needles :eek:

How painful is it? Does it compare to getting jabs?

Back in the day it used to take my mum and half a dozen nurses to hold me down to get a simple flu vaccination. I'm sure these days I could sue for child abuse ;)

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 22nd 2017 7:53 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12186467)
Back in the day it used to take my mum and half a dozen nurses to hold me down to get a simple flu vaccination. I'm sure these days I could sue for child abuse ;)

Strange. I thought you'd love a little prick in you...

weasel decentral Feb 22nd 2017 7:53 am

I have two from my youth, I think the second one I was 21 or 22 getting it done. Neither are visible normally, one is on my ankle so can be seen in shorts or barefoot and while cliched isn't offensively stupid :lol:
The other one to see properly you'd have to be in close proximity to my naked ass which might be uncomfortable for both parties.
Some days I think I'd like to have them removed ,though other days I just think it's just part of your life. I have plenty of scars, healed piercings and various bits and bobs that you pick up along the way so why bother removing.

Despite all that I still have some prejudices against hiring people with visible tattoos!

Miss Ann Thrope Feb 22nd 2017 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12186480)
Strange. I thought you'd love a little prick in you...

:unsure: