British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Expensive Night Out (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/expensive-night-out-743857/)

NorthernLad Jan 5th 2012 4:01 am

Expensive Night Out

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...source=dlvr.it

LaLaLayla Jan 5th 2012 4:03 am

Re: Expensive Night Out

Oh my goodness :eek:

Did you find that, or is that your actual bill?

UKCityGent Jan 5th 2012 4:05 am

Well it is bonus time in the financial industry - but 28.5KWD does seem excessive for lunch

LaLaLayla Jan 5th 2012 4:07 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 9821872)
Well it is bonus time in the financial industry - but 28.5KWD does seem excessive for lunch

Was it lunchtime? Ha, didn't even notice that :D

NorthernLad Jan 5th 2012 4:16 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 9821869)
Oh my goodness :eek:

Did you find that, or is that your actual bill?

Not mine, I would never pay 22dh for a can of coke.

You would think they could have thrown in the birthday cake for free.

kittycat1 Jan 5th 2012 4:17 am

the small cake was good value though :-)

iamthestig Jan 5th 2012 4:40 am

Reminds me of that other recent viral of a Saudi Prince showering a singer with $1 million in a Dubai club.

Classy :huh:

Blue Cat Jan 5th 2012 5:13 am

Originally Posted by iamthestig (Post 9821922)
Reminds me of that other recent viral of a Saudi Prince showering a singer with $1 million in a Dubai club.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qHXgK5i70mA

Classy :huh:

and we are supposed to believe all she did is sing for that money? :blink:

kittycat1 Jan 5th 2012 5:22 am

bluecat-I don't think 100000 is that absurd for a personal performance by some artists- many artists charge over the top fees for this type of stuff as they don't really want to do it but if someone is fool enough to pay it then more fool them. So assuming she did something extra is a bit off. Although apparently Sophie Anderton was 20k a night I believe when she was earnings some extras.

So this then leads to the question ladies how much would you pimp yourself out for. Do you all have morals to say absolutely never or would you sell out demi Moore style (indecent proposal film not in real life).

Blue Cat Jan 5th 2012 7:59 am

this bird isn't exactly Shakira! :rofl:

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 5th 2012 8:11 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9821963)
bluecat-I don't think 100000 is that absurd for a personal performance by some artists- many artists charge over the top fees for this type of stuff as they don't really want to do it but if someone is fool enough to pay it then more fool them. So assuming she did something extra is a bit off. Although apparently Sophie Anderton was 20k a night I believe when she was earnings some extras.

So this then leads to the question ladies how much would you pimp yourself out for. Do you all have morals to say absolutely never or would you sell out demi Moore style (indecent proposal film not in real life).

You're obsessed with hookers and whoring out.

Just tell us all how much and let Bahatat make a bid.

kittycat1 Jan 5th 2012 9:30 am

scamp- bluecat mentioned it first! :p

The Dean Jan 5th 2012 10:17 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 9821875)
Was it lunchtime? Ha, didn't even notice that :D

12.42AM isn't lunchtime........

The Cavalli Club? Is that the one at the back of the Fairmont?

I reckon the biggest mark-up there, percentage-wise, is the diet coke - anyone disagree?

[Edit: Just opened the link so ignore my stupid/lazy question about the Fairmont]

[Edit 2: and having read the article, can I move to that Indian village please.....?]

NorthernLad Jan 5th 2012 10:24 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9822344)
12.42AM isn't lunchtime........

The Cavalli Club? Is that the one at the back of the Fairmont?

I reckon the biggest mark-up there, percentage-wise, is the diet coke - anyone disagree?

Whoever ordered the drinks skimped a little bit:

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/caval...ht-438546.html

“Last year saw an average of two tables per month spend between AED 200,000 to AED 500,000 in one night, and we expect this trend to continue into the New Year, with one customer already having spent just under AED 400,000.”
The luxurious nightclub said it stocks the most expensive champagne in the world - the Louis Roederer, Millennium Cristal Brut 1990, priced at a massive AED500,000 for a single bottle.
There are only two other Millennium bottles for sale around the globe according to bar managers, which can be found in London and New York."

Boomhauer Jan 5th 2012 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9822121)
this bird isn't exactly Shakira! :rofl:

Who is she?

Cypselos Jan 5th 2012 12:19 pm

Nice bit of marketing for the place isn't it...

kittycat1 Jan 5th 2012 12:28 pm

Am i the only person wondering why such a big deal is being made about this. It is the Cavalli club- I would expect any bar taht sells Cristal to actualy sell it every now and again! So that size of bill shouldn't really be anything out of the norm really.

And as for marketing i don't think it shows the Cavalli club off that well- a receipt going viral. Roberto Cavalli is a designer who produces some beautiful clothes - it is an aspirational brand- if they have turned to cheap tricks for advertising then I think thats a big step down for them. :thumbdown:

It isn't about the money it's about the glamour.

Alexa Jan 5th 2012 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9822539)
Am i the only person wondering why such a big deal is being made about this. It is the Cavalli club- I would expect any bar taht sells Cristal to actualy sell it every now and again! So that size of bill shouldn't really be anything out of the norm really.

And as for marketing i don't think it shows the Cavalli club off that well- a receipt going viral. Roberto Cavalli is a designer who produces some beautiful clothes - it is an aspirational brand- if they have turned to cheap tricks for advertising then I think thats a big step down for them. :thumbdown:

Cavalli is pretty tacky as it is...he, apparently, does very well in the ME...;)

rowell Jan 5th 2012 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9821954)
and we are supposed to believe all she did is sing for that money? :blink:

I understand She actually only gets to keep what he puts in her hand, and the odds are all she would have done was sing! hard to believe I know but thats usually the case in those clubs

seven seas Jan 6th 2012 3:30 am

For that amount even I would have done more than sing!

co durham boy Jan 6th 2012 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9822539)

I've been to the Cavalli Club a few times and it's pretty ordinary to be honest , not a patch on Cargo in London or Drop in Hong Kong or maybe Zouk in Singapore .

It's basically full of uber rich GCC Arabs having a giant pissing competition to see who can spunk the most cash.

Some very very upmarket women in there though , good people watching venue but that's about it's limit .
Brash , crass , over the top and gaudy , suits Dubai down to the ground .

al dente Jan 7th 2012 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9824905)
I've been to the Cavalli Club a few times and it's pretty ordinary to be honest , not a patch on Cargo in London or Drop in Hong Kong or maybe Zouk in Singapore .

It's basically full of uber rich GCC Arabs having a giant pissing competition to see who can spunk the most cash.

Some very very upmarket women in there though , good people watching venue but that's about it's limit .
Brash , crass , over the top and gaudy , suits Dubai down to the ground .

What about the music or am i the only sucker who wants to go out and dance?

co durham boy Jan 7th 2012 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 9826668)
What about the music or am i the only sucker who wants to go out and dance?

Middle of the road House with a smattering of R&B ....Pretty non descript , just like most clubs in this region bar a handful

littlejimmy Jan 7th 2012 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9826694)
Middle of the road House with a smattering of R&B ....Pretty non descript , just like most clubs in this region bar a handful

Sounds like the non-descript kind of techno-pap I heard when I paid a visit to the Pearl Lounge behind the Doha Marriott in 2006/7. I was a guest at the hotel and completely bored, so went to have a look. I was made to feel about as welcome as a leper, even though the place was empty. Never did get the posey club scene, either in the UK, even more so abroad.

al dente Jan 7th 2012 1:39 pm

I once had the misfortune of going to Allure in AD. Was hugely excited about going and within 10 minutes (after row over sitting at one of the 30 empty tables) realised it was not the zenith i had hoped. The music was awful, the clientele worse and the prices extortionate. Was so disappointed. I was a clubber in my day so happy with house (not so much R&B), indy, or, as nod to my disaffected youth at the Simba Saloon in Nairobi, some plain old-fashioned rock.

co durham boy Jan 7th 2012 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 9826745)
I once had the misfortune of going to Allure in AD. Was hugely excited about going and within 10 minutes (after row over sitting at one of the 30 empty tables) realised it was not the zenith i had hoped. The music was awful, the clientele worse and the prices extortionate. Was so disappointed. I was a clubber in my day so happy with house (not so much R&B), indy, or, as nod to my disaffected youth at the Simba Saloon in Nairobi, some plain old-fashioned rock.

Ive done quite a bit mate so the whole Gulf club scene is a massive let down for me.
Dubai has started to bring some decent nights and dj's over in the past 3 years but they have to cater for the masses / holiday makers.

The Gulf cannot have a good club scene because of obvious reasons . Beruit is the closest you'll get. The rest is ordinary .

Alexa Jan 7th 2012 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9826719)
Sounds like the non-descript kind of techno-pap I heard when I paid a visit to the Pearl Lounge behind the Doha Marriott in 2006/7. I was a guest at the hotel and completely bored, so went to have a look. I was made to feel about as welcome as a leper, even though the place was empty. Never did get the posey club scene, either in the UK, even more so abroad.

That's one of the worst clubs here...they all pretty much suck, but the Pearl lounge is pathetic...and that is putting it politely.

Full of Lebo posers, fat chicks in spandex...and ALL tables are reserved..and stay empty all night...:rofl:

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 8th 2012 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9826796)
Full of Lebo posers, fat chicks in spandex...and ALL tables are reserved..and stay empty all night...:rofl:

That sums up every bar in the region doesn't it?

Was so enjoyable going back to the UK to my old favourite nightspot with my mates, drinking rum, quality tunes, relaxed and having a laugh.

Impossible here.

NorthernLad Jan 8th 2012 11:33 am

Whatever Dubai can do, Abu Dhabi can do better…

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...01-08-1.436410

kittycat1 Jan 8th 2012 11:43 am

However, the favoured drink of choice on the bill is Cristal, which retails at the club at Dh6,000 per bottle; a whopping 22 bottles of the bubbly are listed at a tally of Dh132,000.

6000 aed for a bottle of cristal- thats bloody cheap!

The Dean Jan 9th 2012 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9827797)
That sums up every bar in the region doesn't it?

Was so enjoyable going back to the UK to my old favourite nightspot with my mates, drinking rum, quality tunes, relaxed and having a laugh.

Impossible here.

You drink rum in a bar in the UK? And you still have friends???

flares Jan 9th 2012 4:41 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9829541)

He's a closet Pompey fan. Hello Sailor!

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 9th 2012 4:43 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9829541)

Indeed. It's brilliant stuff. Only dark / gold though, none of this bacardi shite.

In fact we tried a new one... 'Ron De Jeremy' - i kid you not.

The Dean Jan 9th 2012 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9829593)
Indeed. It's brilliant stuff. Only dark / gold though, none of this bacardi shite.

In fact we tried a new one... 'Ron De Jeremy' - i kid you not.

What? As in Ron "Get Wood" Jeremy??

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 9th 2012 10:06 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9830054)
What? As in Ron "Get Wood" Jeremy??

Yep. Unblievable. It actually tasted quite nice though...which was concerning.

Bahtatboy Jan 10th 2012 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9830125)
Yep. Unblievable. It actually tasted quite nice though...which was concerning.

You sure it wasn't Bailey's in a rum bottle? Surely that would have a more appropriate consistency.

Debowing Jan 12th 2012 2:08 am

There was another high bill in AD for about 478,000 dhs. It shows that this sort of thing is rather common...It is amusing to see how the phenomenon creates mild 'outrage' among certain elements of the wonderfully diverse UAE expatriate community......It must be good for the newpapers too...

Sandboy Jan 12th 2012 3:09 am

can't help thinking it would have been better invested in Fibbers

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 12th 2012 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9833132)
You sure it wasn't Bailey's in a rum bottle? Surely that would have a more appropriate consistency.

Amazing.

no.

Bahtatboy Jan 12th 2012 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9837254)
Amazing.

no.

I think you need to tie this back to the Ron Jeremy theme to see what I was getting at.