Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Expat social life can't be that bad...?

Expat social life can't be that bad...?

Old Jul 12th 2014, 6:54 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat social life can't be that bad...?

Originally Posted by hong_konger
I am surprised that no-one has picked you up on that comment, but I suppose that working in the middle east you quickly become immune to blatant racism.
I'm guessing here, but are the Asian girls 'working' girls?

If they are, it doesn't really count as picking up.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

No no... i just said asian... Hahaha I dont want to hurt more sensible eyes
Old Jul 12th 2014, 7:08 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Venezuelan007
Finding girls is difficult, but I have EASTERN EUROPE standards, if you are into asian girls, then is piece of cake hahaha

Better?
You seem to be misunderstanding the point, the word 'standards' implies that the the Asians are a lower standard/quality to eastern Europeans.
I am sure you mean you personally prefer eastern Europeans to Asians, not what the actual English word means.

E.g. your standard of English is low
Old Jul 12th 2014, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Well, its my second language so... Guilty.

Thats why I don't participate in any grammar or literature forums
Old Jul 12th 2014, 7:20 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stormwynd
Hiya all

I have an interview with Maersk Oil coming up soon and thought I'd poke in here just to see what's going on lately. I find that people here seem to get into moods that flash between "Doha isn't so great but it's an experience and you can make good cash... Both a good offer just bite the bullet and come" ..... To ...... "I'm on first plane out of this hellhole"

Given that I can find various social groups online to find others to travel, drink, eat, play board games, do sports, etc with... And the community here seems to be pretty strong, it seems like you can find a nice group of friends there if you try. So maybe there aren't so many things to do in doha compared to Dubai, so then people can make their own parties or travel.

So the locals smash up your car and blame you... You can't get anything administrative done to save your life... And qataris are conservative. Am I missing something big?

I was previously pretty set on wanting to experience ME life in Doha, given a workable package, after being 5 years in Denmark now as an American expat. I realize the lifestyle will change but I mostly socialize with my expat friends here anyway.

It just makes me doubt myself to see so many people on this forum living in a place they seemingly hate

Would love to hear some non-jaded thoughts
My non jaded thoughts on the subject are this, to work in Doha (ME) you are making some kind of compromise; money on one side versus potentially reduced lifestyle on the other side.

A good lifestyle or great social circle, or a being involved in a lot of activities means to me that you will look fondly on your time in Doha, but are making the mistake that Doha itself had something to do with it. You had a good time despite Doha imo not because of it. I would consider anyone who experiences that to be fortunate; as people come expecting to lose some of that side of their life but to be compensated financially for it.

Also some people like to whinge and would be miserable on a beach in the Bahamas
Old Jul 12th 2014, 7:24 am
Knee deep and rising

Well, its my second language so... Guilty.

Thats why I don't participate in any grammar or literature forums
It's not a big deal, I was just explaining the inadvertent or accidental racism that the other guy pointed out.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Also to my knowledge, a standard is a list of carachteristics you rule by, not a measure of quality

Just saying...
Old Jul 12th 2014, 7:29 am
Knee deep and rising

Also to my knowledge, a standard is a list of carachteristics you rule by, not a measure of quality

Just saying...
Not exactly, because a standard is something universal your point or tastes are purely subjective or personal.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mikewot
I do not and have not lived there but the most positive comment I've picked up from this forum is that Qatar is not as bad as KSA.
That's like saying cat shit is not as bad as dog shit
Old Jul 14th 2014, 8:30 am
Just Joined

stormwynd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DubInRiyadh
It's not
Old Jul 14th 2014, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DubInRiyadh
I have never trodden in cat shit. Dog shit however, too many times to mention.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

No no... i just said asian... Hahaha I dont want to hurt more sensible eyes
Given that we've meandered off the main topic and are now talking about grammar, I thought I'd point out this classic hispanophone false friend.

Sensitive (English) = sensible (Espaneeth)
Old Jul 14th 2014, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Who would have thought?
I have been classified as racist AND learned some english in the process.

Cannot say is not worth to participate in these forums.

Cheers, and relax, we all have flaws
Old Jul 14th 2014, 10:38 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, and relax, we all have flaws
No it's floors and we walk on them.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 2:27 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

I was called racist today after posting this joke on our community FB site:
The Nigerian captain offered to refund all expenses that fans paid to travel to Brazil.

He just wants your bank account details and PIN.

All the Westerners loved it, for many from the ME it was light the blue touchpaper and hang the racist pig by his nads, seriously!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.