Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Expat social life can't be that bad...?

Expat social life can't be that bad...?

Old Jul 10th 2014, 6:00 am
Just Joined

stormwynd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat social life can't be that bad...?

Hiya all

I have an interview with Maersk Oil coming up soon and thought I'd poke in here just to see what's going on lately. I find that people here seem to get into moods that flash between "Doha isn't so great but it's an experience and you can make good cash... Both a good offer just bite the bullet and come" ..... To ...... "I'm on first plane out of this hellhole"

Given that I can find various social groups online to find others to travel, drink, eat, play board games, do sports, etc with... And the community here seems to be pretty strong, it seems like you can find a nice group of friends there if you try. So maybe there aren't so many things to do in doha compared to Dubai, so then people can make their own parties or travel.

So the locals smash up your car and blame you... You can't get anything administrative done to save your life... And qataris are conservative. Am I missing something big?

I was previously pretty set on wanting to experience ME life in Doha, given a workable package, after being 5 years in Denmark now as an American expat. I realize the lifestyle will change but I mostly socialize with my expat friends here anyway.

It just makes me doubt myself to see so many people on this forum living in a place they seemingly hate

Would love to hear some non-jaded thoughts
Old Jul 10th 2014, 7:40 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat social life can't be that bad...?

Originally Posted by stormwynd
Would love to hear some non-jaded thoughts
I do not and have not lived there but the most positive comment I've picked up from this forum is that Qatar is not as bad as KSA.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikewot
I do not and have not lived there but the most positive comment I've picked up from this forum is that Qatar is not as bad as KSA.
Haha well that's a start
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest... its not so bad.

But it really depends on your lifestyle. Me, im a stayhome guy, hit the gym, maybe the pool once a while, bbq with friends, and the ocasional drinks. So... to me its ok. If you are a party animal, dont bother, although is doable I think, you just need the cash.

Ramadan is kinda boring I give you that, i just go home after work and home again.

Finding girls is difficult, but I have high standards, if you are into asian girls, then is piece of cake hahaha

Driving is crazy, heat is crazy, the rest, all in all its not so bad.

Dont be scared, but dont take it easy. Its no picnic after all.

Of course I lived in a chaotic country before, so almost anything is an upgrade.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks! That basically sums up my lifestyle now. Very happy to stay home, work on various web design or programming personal projects... Once a week or so have drinks with friends or colleagues.... Do a dinner/BBQ/lunch in or out once a week... And hit the gym with cross fit-ish classes 4-5 times a week.

I can see weekend trips to Dubai are fast and cheap, at least as far as flights go... But flying everywhere else costs an arm and a leg. The key takeaway is to make sure the offer comes with a good cushion of cash I guess. Assuming an offer comes.

Anyhow, thanks!
Old Jul 10th 2014, 11:53 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

If you're not tied to Maersk, there are plenty of oil companies recruiting trough out the ME in far nicer locations than Doha.
That said, a lot of Doha depends on your employer. With Maersk you will get a Danish tax free (excl USA requirements) salary, plus housing, plus medical, plus flights, plus schooling. They offer a sweet feather bed, even for contract direct hire staff, which cannot always be said for other companies.
You won't have a lot of the problems that others have when moving to Doha (eg arguments with employer about housing or schooling, or even getting paid) . That makes a big difference to your enjoyment of the place.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sunshine. I work for Maersk on The shipping side, in IT... Which gives me a leg up of sorts in moving over to oil as an internal transfer. Unfortunately my IT experience is a bit slim, at 4 years or so, so a fresh move to other companies is a bit harder (I think). Maersk Oil is just my best shot at the Middle East at the moment... And as you say it's a trustworthy company. I trust them completely on exit visas etc (and I can already read their employee handbook to get a sneak peek )
Old Jul 11th 2014, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Venezuelan007
To be honest... its not so bad.

Finding girls is difficult, but I have high standards, if you are into asian girls, then is piece of cake hahaha
I am surprised that no-one has picked you up on that comment, but I suppose that working in the middle east you quickly become immune to blatant racism.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

I might be inmune, I dont find the racism there.
I just said Im not into asian girls. Maybe you are just a little sensitive and all...
Old Jul 11th 2014, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

I might be inmune, I dont find the racism there.
I just said Im not into asian girls. Maybe you are just a little sensitive and all...
I'm not sensitive in the slightest. You didn't just say you were not into Asian girls. That would have been fine.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Finding girls is difficult, but I have EASTERN EUROPE standards, if you are into asian girls, then is piece of cake hahaha

Better?
Old Jul 11th 2014, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Finding girls is difficult, but I have EASTERN EUROPE standards, if you are into asian girls, then is piece of cake hahaha

Better?
You presumably mean "taste" not "standard"
Old Jul 11th 2014, 4:40 am
Just Joined

And just like that, topic derailed. Thanks for the comments, those of you who actually replied to the question asked
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Its not so bad, he actually pointed out something important, racism here is the norm.

So, be sure there is more "people like you" wherever you go. That will be the difference between social life and no life.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Fair enough, and thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.