British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Expat community... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/expat-community-612901/)

MataHari Jun 4th 2009 10:06 am

Expat community...

is there such thing as an expat community here...and I don't mean in the sense of expats living here, but more in the sense of a true community...or is everybody just doing their own thing...

TGFKASE Jun 4th 2009 10:10 am

Re: Expat community...

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7632864)
is there such thing as an expat community here...and I don't mean in the sense of expats living here, but more in the sense of a true community...or is everybody just doing their own thing...

Define community...

MataHari Jun 4th 2009 10:13 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7632878)
Define community...

lol...I was hoping others would do that for me...
just triggered by someone asking 'what's the expat community like'...which makes it sound like there is a group sticking together that you have to get into to meet 'likeminded' people...
In my opinion there really isn't such a thing, everybody just does their own thing and you meet people randomly, that you either get friendly with or not...if that makes any sense...

Ethos83 Jun 4th 2009 10:21 am

Dubai's too big for a proper expat community. Not like in say, Jakarta, where all the British expats know each other and all the kids go to the same 1-2 expat schools.

Spugsy Jun 4th 2009 10:26 am

I think it's more smaller groups of people rather than one big community,

saying that when I watched the footy the other week there was over 20 of us geordies together.

MataHari Jun 4th 2009 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7632925)
I think it's more smaller groups of people rather than one big community,

saying that when I watched the footy the other week there was over 20 of us geordies together.

so not much different from what you'd find back home...
when people ask about 'the expat community' it just feels like they are expecting some ready made thing that you are going to belong to...

20...that's a small group non...

commander Jun 4th 2009 12:21 pm

nope, the place is full of self serving twats...

BC tries to hang on to the hope that there will one day be a renaissance and everyone will care about each other..

paf..

people come, people go..Dubai is a transient state...

Spugsy Jun 4th 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7632938)
so not much different from what you'd find back home...
when people ask about 'the expat community' it just feels like they are expecting some ready made thing that you are going to belong to...

20...that's a small group non...

nope not at all, it took me months to get a couple of proper mates.

:(

Jim Smith Jun 4th 2009 12:41 pm

Well only 2 of us from my country in the UAE so guess that doesnt count as a community, what ever it is defined to be??!!!!

Spugsy Jun 4th 2009 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 7633360)
Well only 2 of us from my country in the UAE so guess that doesnt count as a community, what ever it is defined to be??!!!!

eh? what country is that then?

Hello.Kitty Jun 4th 2009 1:53 pm

I think it also depends what you do - there's more of a community feel amongst expat stay-at-home mums, but I have to say that it's possibly through a desperate need to hang on to some kind of sanity!

It is also really transient. My local M&B group (read "community") has been rather rocked by people moving on/away. More arrive, but still, the turnover isn't very good for morale.

Yeah... not sure. There was definitely more of an expat community feel in France when I was living there.

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that expats are the majority in the UAE, and also the shops, restaurants and language are all British/American, so where exactly is the need to hang on to your sense of nationality? Expats only really club together to remind themselves of "home" after all.

MacScot Jun 4th 2009 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7632891)
lol...In my opinion there really isn't such a thing, everybody just does their own thing and you meet people randomly, that you either get friendly with or not...if that makes any sense...

Agree with that...unless one actually goes out of ones way to meet up with BE Forum people for drinks, meet-ups or quiz nights ! Otherwise, 'tis like back home or anywhere...you just tend to meet up with people randomly; say, at a pub, or sport/activity where you share something on common.

seven seas Jun 4th 2009 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 7633360)

Lemme guess- Zimbabwe? And no, it's not because fo the name thing....

TGFKASE Jun 4th 2009 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 7634236)
Lemme guess- Zimbabwe? And no, it's not because fo the name thing....

He may be a Rhodesian.....

Eva Jun 4th 2009 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7632878)
Define community...

Virtual count???