Expat/Arab gatherings

Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Mariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really nice
Default Expat/Arab gatherings

I am just curious, how many of you have actually gotten to know locals, and mixed with them?
it seems that the locals hide under their high walls and the expats hide in their secured compounds.
would you like to get to know them better? or is it too awkward?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:28 pm
Banned

Taz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to all
Default Re: Expat/Arab gatherings

Originally Posted by Mariah_Saudi
I am just curious, how many of you have actually gotten to know locals, and mixed with them?
it seems that the locals hide under their high walls and the expats hide in their secured compounds.
would you like to get to know them better? or is it too awkward?

As far as I'm concerned, I'm finding the Arabs friendlier than the British expats
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Taz Mirza
As far as I'm concerned, I'm finding the Arabs friendlier than the British expats
I have been reading lately what a tough time you've been having. Hang in there things will get better
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

I actually have a couple of local friends, both male and female, and enjoyed going out with them! Still have quiet a lot of contact with them even though I don't live in the UAE for now.

I found them to be great fun (all of them are of my age, early to mid twenties, some married, some not), very open and friendly. Of course it completely depends on how you yourself are, but also on them. I noticed that specially the ones who've received foreign university education, be it in the US/Europe or down under are much more open minded then the ones who went to uni locally, but maybe that's just me.

Of course I came into some ackward situations, specially remember one time I was invited to a wedding, and I could hear some of them ask to other people in Arabic (I speak it a bit) what I was doing there, but most of them really are pretty nice, young and old.

Btw, this is regarding the UAE locals, I don't know if Saudi's are different. I did meet some Omani and Kuwaiti's, and those were pretty much the same as the UAE ones

Last edited by Euc-; Jun 11th 2009 at 9:50 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:49 pm
Banned

Taz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to all

I have been reading lately what a tough time you've been having. Hang in there things will get better

Thank-you.., I am going to 'ride it out'.

I know deep down I'm a nice person, and when back in UK I was incredibly popular and everyone thought I was great.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 6:28 am

diablo is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Mariah_Saudi;7657160]I am just curious, how many of you have actually gotten to know locals, and mixed with them?/QUOTE]

when you say locals you obviously mean Saudis ... because Arabs from a country to a country in ME are fairly different ... or may I say Omanis are very different to the rest of Arabs in the region (as far as I have seen). you can interact with omanis very easily; get invited to their homes and meet their families, wives, kids and so on. i know quite a few of my friends who have excellent relationship with emiratis ... i assume it may not be 'as easy' as in oman ... still my friends went for weddings, dinners, family gatherings etc.

saudi ... i had a few good saudi friends (still do) ... but the culture is very different ... i didn't see them laughing much on the street ... and they always laughed about my observation ... however ... you won't see their wives ... here i am talking average saudi ... there are those who studied overseas and have different views ... i've met a few couples ... actually the last time i visited al khobar i've seen a few young saudi couples coming for dinner to places where there was no 'family secion' and their wives put the vails up 'exposing' their faces to those in the restaurant ... that was really refreshing ... and some of them were just gorgeous ... as saudi women can be ... but it's really up to you ... if you are genuinely interested in meeting locals ... you will.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Big Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud of

Listen Taz, myself and a few others have only been posting about the same length of time you have on this forum, and we've all had pelters to be honest. You should really try to lose the chip from your shoulder now and just get on with it if you feel like continuing to post on here.

The sooner you get over it, the more quickly everyone else will too. In case you haven't yet realised, the forum isn't actually just about you, but you're making it appear so by going on like this. As I said, I've not been on this forum very long either, so I'm not in a great position to give advice, but for what it's worth I think you would get less hassle if you didn't big yourself up so much.

That's just my thoughts Taz, it's obviously up to you what you do.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Kevin
Listen Taz, myself and a few others have only been posting about the same length of time you have on this forum, and we've all had pelters to be honest. You should really try to lose the chip from your shoulder now and just get on with it if you feel like continuing to post on here.

The sooner you get over it, the more quickly everyone else will too. In case you haven't yet realised, the forum isn't actually just about you, but you're making it appear so by going on like this. As I said, I've not been on this forum very long either, so I'm not in a great position to give advice, but for what it's worth I think you would get less hassle if you didn't big yourself up so much.

That's just my thoughts Taz, it's obviously up to you what you do.

I been using the Internet since 1994, so I dont think I really need any advice
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

The chip on your shoulder is still there then.............will you ever learn?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Big Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud of

No you're right, you don't. I'm sorry I tried to pass you some, and I'm bored with your pish now so I won't again.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=diablo;7658088]
I am just curious, how many of you have actually gotten to know locals, and mixed with them?/QUOTE]

when you say locals you obviously mean Saudis ... because Arabs from a country to a country in ME are fairly different ... or may I say Omanis are very different to the rest of Arabs in the region (as far as I have seen). you can interact with omanis very easily; get invited to their homes and meet their families, wives, kids and so on. i know quite a few of my friends who have excellent relationship with emiratis ... i assume it may not be 'as easy' as in oman ... still my friends went for weddings, dinners, family gatherings etc.

saudi ... i had a few good saudi friends (still do) ... but the culture is very different ... i didn't see them laughing much on the street ... and they always laughed about my observation ... however ... you won't see their wives ... here i am talking average saudi ... there are those who studied overseas and have different views ... i've met a few couples ... actually the last time i visited al khobar i've seen a few young saudi couples coming for dinner to places where there was no 'family secion' and their wives put the vails up 'exposing' their faces to those in the restaurant ... that was really refreshing ... and some of them were just gorgeous ... as saudi women can be ... but it's really up to you ... if you are genuinely interested in meeting locals ... you will.
you have a point when you say that saudi s are different than other Arabs, and yes i guess i do mostly mean saudi/expat relationships.
it seems that here in saudi every nationality sticks to their own.
but the reason why i asked is that i have been following a few blogs recently written by expats living in saudi and there were some things that got me wondering like:
one : a canadian was apprehensive and nervous about inviting his saudi collegues over for dinner as he was not sure if they would get his humor or not.
two: an expat wife who lived in saudi for more than 10 years has never interacted with saudi wives or even met one!!! because her husband was never asked to bring his wife with him to the social gatherings.
I asked my husband about it to get the saudi point of view and he said regarding the 2nd point that most saudi's are married no non english speaking wives and that it would be an awkward evening for all to endure sign language
the 1st point he said it all depends on the personality of both, you could always tell who you click with and who you don't.
so i was wondering how many on here are /were in the same situation.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

you really have to take it easy Taz, BIg Kevin was referring to the fact that you both haven't been posting here for a long time, nothing to do with how long you have been using the internet.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 12:49 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Some people are just too thick, or too up their own arse to recognise good advice when its given....
Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:06 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE

Some people are just too thick, or too up their own arse to recognise good advice when its given....
True, but I believe everyone has the right to take or not to take an advice given to them and as adults we should respect their right.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:32 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I know deep down I'm a nice person, and when back in UK I was incredibly popular and everyone thought I was great.
You missed out modesty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.