British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Excessive reaction - detained 10 days for taking a photo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/excessive-reaction-detained-10-days-taking-photo-751460/)

Meow Mar 13th 2012 9:56 am

Excessive reaction - detained 10 days for taking a photo

http://www.7days.me/2012/03/tourist-...py-at-embassy/

"A holidaymaker has been slapped with a Dhs500 fine for taking photographs at the US Embassy in Abu Dhabi.

The Indian tourist was found guilty of taking photos without permission when he appeared at the Supreme Court in the capital yesterday.

A court official told 7DAYS the man had only been in the UAE for two days when he was arrested, near the Embassy premises. He was caught by Embassy security guards and taken to police with his camera. The official said police detained the man for 10 days and released him on bail.

During court hearings the Indian man admitted to taking the pictures of the US Embassy but stressed to the judge that he was not aware that taking photos without permission was prohibited.

He told the court he was merely visiting the UAE and wanted to take holiday snaps.

The court convicted him of illegally taking pictures of the Embassy and also ordered that the pictures should be confiscated. Last year two Bangladeshis were fined for taking photos in a prohibited area at the Yas Marina motorsport racing circuit. They given fines of Dhs1,000 and Dhs500.
"

Detained for 10 days for taking a photo? That's ridiculous. Surely he should be told to stop and delete the photo, not be imprisoned for a stupid error?

Bahtatboy Mar 13th 2012 10:06 am

Re: Excessive reaction - detained 10 days for taking a photo

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, but it was with this:

Attachment 105804

weasel decentral Mar 13th 2012 10:09 am

Have we reached the quota yet of here is a news report of something horrible that happened in the Middle East?

Bahtatboy Mar 13th 2012 10:15 am

Sorry, but I don't think that's horrible (assuming that he was deliberately taking photos of the embassy, as opposed to merely having a bit of it in the background while his wife and kids stared glumly at the camera). Anybody who goes to a foreign country (or even within their own) and starts taking pictures of embassies is pretty damned stupid--just as well he wasn't somewhere else in the middle east.

weasel decentral Mar 13th 2012 10:19 am

The horrible was pertaining to the 10 days in jail rather than the rules about taking pictures of the embassy.

flares Mar 13th 2012 10:31 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 9950246)
The horrible was pertaining to the 10 days in jail rather than the rules about taking pictures of the embassy.

There was probably a fair bit of background checking going on in those ten days.

There are pretty big signs around the AUH Diplo Area saying no cameras... the US Embassy is opposite the Indian one and next to KSA one

weasel decentral Mar 13th 2012 10:42 am

I seem to have bizarrely ended up defending the point I was originally attacking..

anyhow suffice to say my position now is he should and all his family received 40 months hard labour and possibly a lifetime ban from all Nikon products

flares Mar 13th 2012 10:54 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 9950284)
I seem to have bizarrely ended up defending the point I was originally attacking..

anyhow suffice to say my position now is he should and all his family received 40 months hard labour and possibly a lifetime ban from all Nikon products

when handed down the sentence of hard labour by the UAE judge the Indian thought to himself...what the f*** do you think me and my countrymen have been doing for the past 40 years

Millsyisland Mar 13th 2012 11:47 am

Why anyone would want to take a picture of the US Embassy anyway I don't know - unless they're interested in buildings in the shape of door-stops?

Bahtatboy Mar 13th 2012 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 9950246)

That's what I assumed. "Think I'll go to a Gulf country and take some pictures of some embassies; if I get caught, I expect they'll just ask me nicely to delete the pictures, shouldn't get nastier than that." :rolleyes:

Oyibopeppeh Mar 13th 2012 1:27 pm

A bit stupid of him really, he should have known better - they are just as paranoid about taking pictures of such places in his home country.

The Dean Mar 13th 2012 1:29 pm

Nothing surprises me............. outside that candy store (opposite Dubai Mall Aquarium) there's a sign saying photography is banned....... :huh:

Autonomy Mar 13th 2012 1:52 pm

It is a bit dim taking pictures where there are clear signs....

(oops)

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger2/...0/IMG_0652.jpg

flares Mar 13th 2012 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9950544)
A bit stupid of him really, he should have known better - they are just as paranoid about taking pictures of such places in his home country.

Polaroid-paranoia...easy for you to say

Boomhauer Mar 13th 2012 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 9950231)
Have we reached the quota yet of here is a news report of something horrible that happened in the Middle East?

Theres a quota system?:eek:, it'd have to be some bloody big number or we would surpass the quota in a day; well ok 3 days.