is everyone dead?

Old Mar 18th 2012, 7:08 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is everyone dead?

Originally Posted by norsk
What is the deal with the sensitive stomachs of people living in Dubai?

One of my friends is terrified of eating anything in old Dubai, and complains of the squirts every time he eats any take-aways from anywhere.

Toughen up by eating some dodgy food. Get yourself an iron stomach! Much better life afterwards...

Same everywhere though. You always get a few paranoid folk or those who are uncomfortable if they don't get a tablecloth or the yellow arches.

I reckon the most disappointing food is from the middle range places. We tend to go to super cheap or occasionally to high end places now and forget the middle. My favourite cheap eat has to be Bombay Chowpatty.

I do think that local chicken can often be a bit dodgy, but that's because of all the chemicals in it.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:08 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

Anyway sticking to the mainstream suits most people because it's easy and there are only a handful of horror stories compared to that of the folk who've been hunting round dirty restaurants in shit parts of cities. Interestingly, it does my head in when you speak to people and they talk non stop about all these local places they've been to eat and just end up sounding so incredibly patronising. Was that the best Indian / Thai / Chinese etc that you've ever eaten....or is it because is was 3 quid and a proper Indian served you it? I don't know.

But anyway, Ravi's in Satwa is decent (think we've all discussed before and it's Pakistani isn't it?) and there is a corner shop / cafe in Karama that sells the best shwarma that I've ever eaten. Can't remember the name but it had an orange sign.
I completely agree with you! Some people just can't stop talking up where they've been and consistently describe the food as authentic and 'heavenly'. I don't care!!

I will eat anywhere (without making a big deal out of it) and if I was in Bur Dubai buying perfume (testers for a bargain don't you know ) or computer equipment and felt the pangs of hunger I would gladly try that little place most people would have avoided like the plague. I can count my bad experiences through time on one hand.

I have only two rules;

1. I will not eat from a place where the food is sat in dishes on display (disgusting!)
2. I will not eat if the restaurant is empty and actually the more people in it the better it is.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by norsk
I completely agree with you! Some people just can't stop talking up where they've been and consistently describe the food as authentic and 'heavenly'. I don't care!!

I will eat anywhere (without making a big deal out of it) and if I was in Bur Dubai buying perfume (testers for a bargain don't you know ) or computer equipment and felt the pangs of hunger I would gladly try that little place most people would have avoided like the plague. I can count my bad experiences through time on one hand.

I have only two rules;

1. I will not eat from a place where the food is sat in dishes on display (disgusting!)
2. I will not eat if the restaurant is empty and actually the more people in it the better it is.
Amen to all of that.

Rule 1 agree
Rule 2 agree
Rule 3 - I won't eat somewhere that animals (dogs / cats) are wandering around the place.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat141; Mar 18th 2012 at 12:18 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Amen to all of that.

Rule 1 agree
Rule 2 agree
Rule 3 - I won't eat somewhere that animals (dogs / cats) are wandering around the place.
Rule 3 -What about if they're on the menu ?
Old Mar 18th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

There was one of those dead cheap and slightly tatty eateries in my previous stamping ground in Tripoli. The best shwarma and kebabs in town at 70p a go. The place was always thronging with locals and expats alike and the Libyan lads who ran the place always had a smile and a chit-chat to practice their English.

I hope they're all alright after the revolution. If I ever had to go back to Libya, this place would be the only saving grace!
Old Mar 18th 2012, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Agree with the above couple of posts. As soon as I hit a foreign city I try to work out where the locals eat (not so difficult)--ok, the big hotels usually have excellent food, but what's the point of being somewhere different if you eat the same food as you can eat everywhere else? (I did get serious food poisoning from eating in the street markets in Korea, though--but even that cloud had a silver lining in that it introduced me to acupuncture.)
Got a bad case of food poisoning in London in 2006. Was throwing up for a couple of days straight, couldn't drink water for 2 days. Got soo bad I started throwing up blood for 2 days . Finally called cousin to take me to emergency.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 3:07 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

oh goodie, a thread I can relate to.

I've had to prolong a stopover by 48 hrs in Singapore because I was pooing yellow bile due to nasty Balikpapan stomach bug.

In general, whilst it feels awful in an omg-i-wanna-die-cos-its-pouring-outta-both-ends-simultaneously way, a good dose of D&V clears the system out rather well I find. So I eat where I want, and don't worry for the most part about bugs. Giardosis is horrible though as it lasts on and off for months unless you smack it with some even more horrible anti-biotics.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

If you are throwing up with no end in sight, Zofran is your best friend. As someone who ends up with gastroenteritis every bloody year, the name brand med mentioned above is a miracle.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

this thread has taken a delightful turn-
Old Mar 18th 2012, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kittycat1
this thread has taken a delightful turn-
What you did there, I see it
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

That is a bad rule. It should include monkeys at the breakfast buffet. But that's never stopped me.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 3:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Rule 3 -What about if they're on the menu ?
Never had the option to eat either of them. Not sure whether I would or not. I think I would, live once and all that.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Never had the option to eat either of them. Not sure whether I would or not. I think I would, live once and all that.
Had dog a few times in The Phillippines , tasted like shite to be honest , loads of small bones and a rancid tasting meat.

The Fillipino's reckon black dog tastes better, f**k knows how that works !
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:38 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
That is a bad rule. It should include monkeys at the breakfast buffet. But that's never stopped me.
that would rule out having breakfast at any hotel on the Kenyan coast. there was something funny (and slightly annoying after a while) about monkeys nicking your food from the table...

anyway. i wouldn't rule out places with dogs/cats walking around either. otherwise you'd have a hard time getting a pub lunch in the UK.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:39 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Had dog a few times in The Phillippines , tasted like shite to be honest , loads of small bones and a rancid tasting meat.

The Fillipino's reckon black dog tastes better, f**k knows how that works !
there must be some dogs that taste okay. like those little poodle mop-looking things they look like they could be nice on a barbeque..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.