Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Evening Brunch For Stag

Evening Brunch For Stag

Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:51 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evening Brunch For Stag

Originally Posted by Meow
It's a British term, coined in the 1890s. Sadly you show yourself to be the peasant by not knowing the British origin.

Rather amusingly, the Wikipedia entry for 'brunch' makes reference to Dubai

"In Dubai

'Friday Brunch' is considered something of an institution in Dubai. Many large hotels offer an all inclusive drinks and food buffet during early afternoons, and large groups of ex-pats and tourists make this the highlight of their weekend, with parties going on well into the night. Prices vary, starting at around AED 100 () up to AED 550 (). The cheaper brunches sometimes have limits on the number of alcoholic drinks that are included in the price. The latter usually involves gourmet food and limitless champagne, and nearly all involve people with far more money than sense or decorum.
"
I saw some people at a brunch the other day who looked as though they'd been brunching since the term was coined.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:30 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I saw some people at a brunch the other day who looked as though they'd been brunching since the term was coined.

I didn't think you'd go along with such cliches as "and nearly all involve people with far more money than sense or decorum."

It really is ridiculous to suggest that everyone who brunches falls down drunk. It is perfectly possible to go to a brunch, drink, not spend a fortune and still behave properly. Many people do that.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:53 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think you'd go along with such cliches as "and nearly all involve people with far more money than sense or decorum."

It really is ridiculous to suggest that everyone who brunches falls down drunk. It is perfectly possible to go to a brunch, drink, not spend a fortune and still behave properly. Many people do that.
Check the syntax. I didn't say that nearly all people who brunch, I said that nearly all brunches involve such people.

...given the premise, "all fish live underwater" and "all mackerel are fish", my wife will conclude, not that "all mackerel live underwater", but that "if she buys kippers it will not rain", or that "trout live in trees"...

And anyway, I was altering Wikipedia's definition to that of the perceived wisdom of the Daily Mail.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Spice Island. Decent Cheap brunch and already halfway to .... the darkside!

always been good when we've been, spot on wwith the booze, wonder if Scamp's on about the same place ?

the one in Diera, Salahuddin St ? Hotel changes hands every couple of years, think it's a Crowne Plaza now
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:04 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Check the syntax. I didn't say that nearly all people who brunch, I said that nearly all brunches involve such people.

...given the premise, "all fish live underwater" and "all mackerel are fish", my wife will conclude, not that "all mackerel live underwater", but that "if she buys kippers it will not rain", or that "trout live in trees"...

And anyway, I was altering Wikipedia's definition to that of the perceived wisdom of the Daily Mail.
And I used the word 'suggest".

It's such a boring stereotype.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:08 pm
Hit 16's

And I used the word 'suggest".

It's such a boring stereotype.
"suggest that everyone", actually.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Sandboy
always been good when we've been, spot on wwith the booze, wonder if Scamp's on about the same place ?

the one in Diera, Salahuddin St ? Hotel changes hands every couple of years, think it's a Crowne Plaza now
That's the one. Maybe we were just unlucky.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
That's the one. Maybe we were just unlucky.
reckon you were, they were chucking it at us last time we were in, we quietly slipped what was left of our pot to the lovely lass serving us
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
They're not great with booze though...at least when went last year they wouldn't give you more until your glass was empty...and then took a while.

May have just been unlucky but stag do's don't tolerate tardiness with grog.
A little word in the managers ear and a tip before it starts usually does the trick!

And on the odd occasion they have been tardy with us a ''ahem and sort it out'' does the trick.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
A little word in the managers ear and a tip before it starts usually does the trick!

And on the odd occasion they have been tardy with us a ''ahem and sort it out'' does the trick.
Tip at the start is normally what I do, but I find that most people suddenly are busy when you ask around the table for 20/30 dhs each.

When my old man visited we went to Latitude at the JBH, he said he'd do the tip to ensure we got looked after...watched him hand the guy 500 instead of 100. His face was utterly priceless.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:47 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Yalumba is good, they have a themed evening each night of the week
Old Feb 12th 2013, 7:55 am
Just Joined

bigtree is an unknown quantity at this point

Spice Island is in the pot. As you say that end of town.

Ive been twice over the years and had one good and one bad experience. Defo worth considering though

Cheers