Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Is it even worth going back?

Is it even worth going back?

Old May 27th 2019, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Mr Cenary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it even worth going back?

This is what I find myself thinking each time I return from London. Life here isn’t perfect but it’s easier, simpler, with better weather, safer and with an interesting mix of approachable people. Oh and we don’t pay income tax still.
Old May 28th 2019, 6:12 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it even worth going back?

The UK leaves us feeling despondent and depressed, much like the majority of our family and friends who are there. The place has gone into the toilet since we left in 2005 and, while things are by no means perfect here, we would far rather be in Muscat than there. To be honest, the thought of moving back fills us with dread. Having said that though the seven year itch is getting to us. We’re both mid 60s and retired, and reckon we have at least one more big move left in us, so we’re planning on moving further east - to KL - where we can get a ten year visa (MM2H) and explore more of SE Asia.
Old May 28th 2019, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

We left in 2008, just before the economic crash, and things don't seem to have improved much since then. Similarly, the thought of moving is at times exciting - being closer to the (grown up) kids and parents ( growing older ) , but then thought of actually living there and grinding out an existence is quite heartbreaking. My line of work is in HR so in KSA with their Saudisation laws, it's one of those occupations that's almost impossible for a non Saudi to find and hang onto. Contract expires next year, and if we could find somewhere else to move to, I think we'd both jump at it.
Old May 28th 2019, 8:47 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

After nearly twenty years as an expat, I find myself wanting to spend more and more time in the UK, but not all the time. I think ideally I'd do six months in UK in the warmer months, and six months in Thailand in the UK winter months which coincides with cooler thai months.

UK isn't perfect, but everyone speaks English, is polite, and isn't trying to rip you off generally. I also like the variation of weather and landscapes in the UK. I wouldn't want to work there, but for retirement it's okay by me.
Old May 28th 2019, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
..I find myself wanting to spend more and more time in the UK, but not all the time. I think ideally I'd do six months in UK in the warmer months, and six months in XXX...

UK isn't perfect, but everyone speaks English, is polite, and isn't trying to rip you off generally. I also like the variation of weather and landscapes in the UK. I wouldn't want to work there, but for retirement it's okay by me.
+ 1 (not sure where i would do the winter 6 months though)
Old May 28th 2019, 12:37 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
+ 1 (not sure where i would do the winter 6 months though)
Andalucia, Spain? Decent weather, great food, 3hr flight from Malaga to the UK. Reasonable property prices just now.
Old May 29th 2019, 6:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Andalucia, Spain? Decent weather, great food, 3hr flight from Malaga to the UK. Reasonable property prices just now.
Yeah but think of the kind of Brits that reside there already. Barry and Margaret from Wigan, they look like leather, drink cheap pisswine and talk about 'the blacks'.

Shudder.
Old May 29th 2019, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Yeah but think of the kind of Brits that reside there already. Barry and Margaret from Wigan, they look like leather, drink cheap pisswine and talk about 'the blacks'.

Shudder.
LOL You have the makings of a wonderful snob LOL
Old May 29th 2019, 7:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
LOL You have the makings of a wonderful snob LOL
I just got goosebumps at the compliment.
Old May 29th 2019, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

Shudder.
Well you can still find other parts and Günther & Ingrid aren't that bad. At least they know what a decent beer is and use sunscreen. The weather further North can also be pleasant with nice scenery too.

Old May 29th 2019, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Well you can still find other parts and Günther & Ingrid aren't that bad. At least they know what a decent beer is and use sunscreen. The weather further North can also be pleasant with nice scenery too.
I cant wait to go - have my full English and beer each morning before getting on my scooter to go and play boules in the afternoon.

Old May 29th 2019, 9:58 am
Account Closed

I'd rather live surrounded by Germans in Germany than the typical Spain-dwelling-Brit.

Old May 29th 2019, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I cant wait to go - have my full English and beer each morning before getting on my scooter to go and play boules in the afternoon.

Sorry but where Günther & Ingrid are, you actually won't find it easy to get a full English and no mobility scooters either. I prefer the Full Irish anyway, as you also get a white pudding and better butter.
Old May 29th 2019, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but where Günther & Ingrid are, you actually won't find it easy to get a full English and no mobility scooters either. I prefer the Full Irish anyway, as you also get a white pudding and better butter.
I’m not interested in being near the Germans. And I’ll be using a 50cc not a mobility scooter.
Old May 30th 2019, 5:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I’m not interested in being near the Germans. And I’ll be using a 50cc not a mobility scooter.
I bloody love the Germans, they're fantastic.

When you set up your dodgy accountancy in Spain though, will you need some sort of locally based, very VERY well paid HR / recruitment type support? Maybe an add on sell? We could be the next KPMG.....