Euthanasia

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

housewife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Euthanasia

Originally Posted by Kim67
That's fine, but do you really want to end your life before you've become too sick?

Well Kim, there a proud people, like my dad, who knew when he became terminal patient and therefore he did not want that he would suffer too much and that his family and close friends would see him going to die.
He was that sick that he even could not eat anymore.

And yes, he did want to stay with us, but knew that would not gonna happen.
He could not find the peace with himself that he was losing, while he always was a winner.

But is was heartbreaking for us to see him fighting against something he could not win.
The last 2 days before his death he start to hallucinate and became wild in his sleep.
Then we decide, after speaking with the GP, to pump up his medication knowing that the " countdown" has started.
A few hours later he died peacefully in his sleep.

I am glad that this is possible in The Netherlands.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
great...so if you think like that, it's obviously not for you...it's not mandatory. Simple as that. You then will have to rely on the good sense of your family and doctors to make that decision for you. Some people don't wish that on their family and make sure they have sorted this out beforehand. I really don't see the problem with that. It's all about having choices.
You're obviously not even reading my posts properly. In theory euthanasia is a great thing - however, I'm saying that ultimately (even those who've stated they want to end their lives themselves) need to rely on other people to assist them and that's where it can all go awry. Don't know if you've been in the situation yourself, but quite often it's like childless people trying to tell parents how to bring up their kids, everything is different in theory.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:39 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

You're obviously not even reading my posts properly. In theory euthanasia is a great thing - however, I'm saying that ultimately (even those who've stated they want to end their lives themselves) need to rely on other people to assist them and that's where it can all go awry. Don't know if you've been in the situation yourself, but quite often it's like childless people trying to tell parents how to bring up their kids, everything is different in theory.
oh dear...
just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't read what you are saying...I just have a different opinion.
And as far as having been in 'the situation' myself...if you are suggesting that everyone that has been, has the same opinion because of that, you are wrong...Every situation is different, because the people involved are different.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by housewife
Well Kim, there a proud people, like my dad, who knew when he became terminal patient and therefore he did not want that he would suffer too much and that his family and close friends would see him going to die.
He was that sick that he even could not eat anymore.

And yes, he did want to stay with us, but knew that would not gonna happen.
He could not find the peace with himself that he was losing, while he always was a winner.

But is was heartbreaking for us to see him fighting against something he could not win.
The last 2 days before his death he start to hallucinate and became wild in his sleep.
Then we decide, after speaking with the GP, to pump up his medication knowing that the " countdown" has started.
A few hours later he died peacefully in his sleep.

I am glad that this is possible in The Netherlands.
Again, if you'd read my previous post - even if countries where it's not legal, when people are in immense pain and have no chance of recovering from it, doctors bump up their morphene and their respiratory systems fail, simple, end of story - but family then feels no guilt about it later.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

but family then feels no guilt about it later.
Are you sure about that???
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

oh dear...
just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't read what you are saying...I just have a different opinion.
And as far as having been in 'the situation' myself...if you are suggesting that everyone that has been, has the same opinion because of that, you are wrong...Every situation is different, because the people involved are different.
Agree completely about the differing opinions - it's just that you were saying I'm completely against euthanasia and it's not for me - if you read my posts properly you would see that I'm not against it - just think it's a very hard thing to apply rules to.

I'm not suggesting that everyone that has been in the situation has the same opinion, but most would agree that's a very emotional issue and not something that can be written down like an employment contract.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by housewife
Are you sure about that???
Well I'm sure everyone is different, but I certainly feel better for having the decision taken out of my hands.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:52 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Agree completely about the differing opinions - it's just that you were saying I'm completely against euthanasia and it's not for me - if you read my posts properly you would see that I'm not against it - just think it's a very hard thing to apply rules to.

I'm not suggesting that everyone that has been in the situation has the same opinion, but most would agree that's a very emotional issue and not something that can be written down like an employment contract.
no...I am just saying IF it's not for you, don't do it.
yes, it is an emotional issue and that is why it is good that there are non emotional rules about it, otherwise it wouldn't work, would it. That is what laws are made for.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:54 pm
hmmmm...nice

Well I'm sure everyone is different, but I certainly feel better for having the decision taken out of my hands.
aha...and that is exactly my point...leave it to others to deal with...take no responsibility yourself...bit of an easy option and it puts you at the mercy of others...
There are people that don't wish to do that.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

........ and if you think THIS thread is getting depressing, readers, wait until tomorrow's "Suicide - The Coward's Way Out" thread..........
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Feeling guilt or not.
I am glad that my family and I could have taken care that my father did not have to suffer anymore.
The decision was taken by my dad and we just except his choice by helping him.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:58 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

But it's setting the rules in place that are the problem.
There are no legal rules as it is not legislated for.Holland is the only country where it is openly practised; the reason being there is a competent defence for doctors involved in euthanasia.The medics are still subject to the law and must justify their actions to Prosecutor.The 'performing medic' isn't allowed to issue death certificate...must call in another GP to record cause of death etc.
Do you have to be terminally ill? No it is not essential that patient is 'terminally' ill.
He/she must be in a situation where there is no prospect of recovery(recent case of Diane Petty in UK)

Do you have to be the only person present at your death?

I would suggest the scenario there is suicide not Euthanasia

Do you have to be capable of doing it yourself?

No but you can assist.

Can you appoint a power of attorney to make the decision on your behalf?
****NO ****
Euthanasia is the termination of life by a medic AT THE EXPRESS WISH OF A PATIENT.
There has to be repeated requests by the patient who must have decision making capacity.

Euthanasia is entirely different to where a terminally ill patient is medicated to comotose and pain relief is increased (sometimes at request of family) knowing it 'may' shorten the patient's life

Messy and hard to control.

Law and medical ethics is ..............

Sorry for your loss and hope this doesn't offend,trying to answer your Q's.HTH

Last edited by Eva; Sep 23rd 2008 at 6:01 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

aha...and that is exactly my point...leave it to others to deal with...take no responsibility yourself...bit of an easy option and it puts you at the mercy of others...
There are people that don't wish to do that.
It's certainly not the easy option. To watch someone dying painfully, the easy option is to want them out of their misery and also to end your own. So no, it's not the easy way out. You would hope that putting your trust professional medical practitioners who have nothing to gain or lose, and are completely impartial would be a better solution in my opinion. And I know there are people that don't wish to do that, and hopefully they'll never have to make that decision, but as you've said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Just because mine differs from yours, I think that it's a little rude of you to say that I'm taking the easy way out.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
Law and medical ethics is ..............

Sorry for your loss and hope this doesn't offend,trying to answer your Q's.HTH
Doesn't offend at all. My mother died 20 years ago when I was 21 years old, my father 17 years ago. In the same year my mother died, my brother-in-law was killed in a car accident, leaving my sister with three little girls, two of my grandparents also died that year. It's a long time ago and I have very thick skin - but now I can look back at things more objectively.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:06 pm
hmmmm...nice

It's certainly not the easy option. To watch someone dying painfully, the easy option is to want them out of their misery and also to end your own. So no, it's not the easy way out. You would hope that putting your trust professional medical practitioners who have nothing to gain or lose, and are completely impartial would be a better solution in my opinion. And I know there are people that don't wish to do that, and hopefully they'll never have to make that decision, but as you've said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Just because mine differs from yours, I think that it's a little rude of you to say that I'm taking the easy way out.
I think we are not talking about the same thing here....
But either way...we are going round in circles now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.