Euthanasia

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:14 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euthanasia

Originally Posted by Kim67
I wasn't blaming it - but the law may and the doctor that wrote it could very well end up in prison (again). I know first hand wanting to help put a loved one out of their pain and even asked the hospice staff to assist in doing so. I was told that when pain got too bad, morphine was bumped up higher and higher, resulting in death anyway. Years on I was glad that the decision was taken out of my hands.

All I was saying is that it's a very tricky thing to legalise the taking of someone's life as there are too many variables and too many emotions involved.
the fact that it's legalised doesn't mean you have to have it done though...it just means there are rules for it.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
the fact that it's legalised doesn't mean you have to have it done though...it just means there are rules for it.
But it's setting the rules in place that are the problem. Do you have to be terminally ill? Do you have to be the only person present at your death? Do you have to be capable of doing it yourself? Can you appoint a power of attorney to make the decision on your behalf? Messy and hard to control.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:48 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

But it's setting the rules in place that are the problem. Do you have to be terminally ill? Do you have to be the only person present at your death? Do you have to be capable of doing it yourself? Can you appoint a power of attorney to make the decision on your behalf? Messy and hard to control.
The rules are made to protect you. It seems to be working in Holland.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

housewife is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that you have to be in the situation to judge about this.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want that anybody will ever be in this situation.
But me and my family were relieved that we had the possibility to "help" our father to get rid of his struggle and pain he had to suffer.
There was no way a change anymore for him to survive.
With help of extra medication we " helped" him to finish his battle.
And it sound weird, but when the moment was there, me and my family were "glad" that the battle was over and that he did not have to suffer anymore.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

The rules are made to protect you. It seems to be working in Holland.
Protect who though? The patient - their family after the fact? Remember you can't choose your family and some of them don't always have your best interests at heart.

But if it's working in Holland, I believe you. They just haven't been able to set up a model in Australia that's protected everyone involved and as I said, having faced making these types of decisions myself, how you feel at the time and how you feel down the track are sometimes different. Things are always clearer in hindsight.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by housewife
I think that you have to be in the situation to judge about this.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want that anybody will ever be in this situation.
But me and my family were relieved that we had the possibility to "help" our father to get rid of his struggle and pain he had to suffer.
There was no way a change anymore for him to survive.
With help of extra medication we " helped" him to finish his battle.
And it sound weird, but when the moment was there, me and my family were "glad" that the battle was over and that he did not have to suffer anymore.
I have been in the situation, so my comments are based on personal experience.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

I have been in the situation, so my comments are based on personal experience.
Sorry to hear that Kim, but that means that you do understand my opinion.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by housewife
Sorry to hear that Kim, but that means that you do understand my opinion.
I do, and if you read my first post, you'll see that I've felt the way you do too. A decision you don't wish upon anyone.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:06 pm
hmmmm...nice

Protect who though? The patient - their family after the fact? Remember you can't choose your family and some of them don't always have your best interests at heart.

But if it's working in Holland, I believe you. They just haven't been able to set up a model in Australia that's protected everyone involved and as I said, having faced making these types of decisions myself, how you feel at the time and how you feel down the track are sometimes different. Things are always clearer in hindsight.
As far as I know the patient is the one in control cause he is the one asking for it. Not their family. And it's not like you cannot change your mind at anytime...it's not like they say oh well you signed this paper so we are going to kill you even if you don't want to...
And again...it's not a must...you don't have to make an euthanasia will.
As far as the family is concerned...it's never easy to lose someone...but in the end it is selfish to want someone to stay alive just cause you cannot cope with them dying...
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

As far as the family is concerned...it's never easy to lose someone...but in the end it is selfish to want someone to stay alive just cause you cannot cope with them dying...

Perfect phrased MH.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As far as I know the patient is the one in control cause he is the one asking for it. Not their family. And it's not like you cannot change your mind at anytime...it's not like they say oh well you signed this paper so we are going to kill you even if you don't want to...
And again...it's not a must...you don't have to make an euthanasia will.
And it's easy to put something on paper in black and white - but in reality people and their emotions are much more complex than that. The problem with being in control of and able to change your mind is that you have to make the decision to end your life while you are still completely lucid. Quite often by the time someone is sick enough to want to die, they're past the point of being able to make the decision for themselves and their family ultimately have to.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:13 pm
hmmmm...nice

And it's easy to put something on paper in black and white - but in reality people and their emotions are much more complex than that. The problem with being in control of and able to change your mind is that you have to make the decision to end your life while you are still completely lucid. Quite often by the time someone is sick enough to want to die, they're past the point of being able to make the decision for themselves and their family ultimately have to.
that's why it's important to do it beforehand and the Dutch law gives you that opportunity.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

that's why it's important to do it beforehand and the Dutch law gives you that opportunity.
That's fine, but do you really want to end your life before you've become too sick? I think most people would want to spend as much good time with their family as they possibly could.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:25 pm
hmmmm...nice

That's fine, but do you really want to end your life before you've become too sick? I think most people would want to spend as much good time with their family as they possibly could.
great...so if you think like that, it's obviously not for you...it's not mandatory. Simple as that. You then will have to rely on the good sense of your family and doctors to make that decision for you. Some people don't wish that on their family and make sure they have sorted this out beforehand. I really don't see the problem with that. It's all about having choices.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

........... and I just love the way an advert for articles about death and dying now pops up at the foot of the page..............

As the OP, and having read through the subsequent posts, I find it strange that so many people on The Bored have first-hand family experience of this - probably means it's more commonplace than most people realise.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.