Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

European Footballer of the Year

European Footballer of the Year

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default European Footballer of the Year

Today's football debate.......... who is the worst player to win the award??

List of Ballon d'Or (European Footballer of the Year) winners:

1956 - Stanley Matthews (England)
1957 - Alfredo di Stefano (Spain)
1958 - Raymond Kopa (France)
1959 - Alfredo di Stefano (Spain)
1960 - Luis Suarez (Spain)
1961 - Omar Sivori (Italy)
1962 - Josef Masopust (Czechoslovakia)
1963 - Lev Yashin (USSR)
1964 - Denis Law (Scotland)
1965 - Eusebio (Portugal)
1966 - Bobby Charlton (England)
1967 - Florian Albert (Hungary)
1968 - George Best (Northern Ireland)
1969 - Gianni Rivera (Italy)
1970 - Gerd Mueller (West Germany)
1971 - Johan Cruyff (Netherlands)
1972 - Franz Beckenbauer (West Germany)
1973 - Johan Cruyff (Netherlands)
1974 - Johan Cruyff (Netherlands)
1975 - Oleg Blokhin (USSR)
1976 - Franz Beckenbauer (West Germany)
1977 - Allan Simonsen (Denmark)
1978 - Kevin Keegan (England)
1979 - Kevin Keegan (England)
1980 - Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (West Germany)
1981 - Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (West Germany)
1982 - Paolo Rossi (Italy)
1983 - Michel Platini (France)
1984 - Michel Platini (France)
1985 - Michel Platini (France)
1986 - Igor Belanov (USSR)
1987 - Ruud Gullit (Netherlands)
1988 - Marco van Basten (Netherlands)
1989 - Marco van Basten (Netherlands)
1990 - Lothar Matthaeus (Germany)
1991 - Jean-Pierre Papin (France)
1992 - Marco van Basten (Netherlands)
1993 - Roberto Baggio (Italy)
1994 - Hristo Stoichkov (Bulgaria)
1995 - George Weah (Liberia)
1996 - Matthias Sammer (Germany)
1997 - Ronaldo (Brazil)
1998 - Zinedine Zidane (France)
1999 - Rivaldo (Brazil)
2000 - Luis Figo (Portugal)
2001 - Michael Owen (England)
2002 - Ronaldo (Brazil)
2003 - Pavel Nedved (Czech Republic)
2004 - Andriy Shevchenko (Ukraine)
2005 - Ronaldinho (Brazil)
2006 - Fabio Cannavaro (Italy)
2007 - Kaka (Brazil)
2008 - Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: European Footballer of the Year

That is a very strange question. Do you have a hidden agenda?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:04 pm
W10

It's an interesting question because to have won the prize in the first place you will have to have been a fantastic and consistent footballer that year.

So finding the worst of the best will be a task that causes hours of debate.

From that list I'd say...

Paulo Rossi - because his win was based on his World Cup exploits and not a whole season.

He was a great player (legendary at Vicenza), but he had been banned (coming back just before the WC) so was not firing on all cylinders in the world cup group stages, then suddenly clicked and fired Italy to the title.

However, his goalscoring record at club level was not great in the season after the world cup (which doesn't mean he wasn't an excellent player, just not for the whole of 1982)

So not because he wasn't a great player - because he was - but because he did not prove for the whole year his worth.

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadya
That is a very strange question. Do you have a hidden agenda?
Hidden? No not really - but I think the quality of the winner reflects the general level of football played in that era.

........ but OK - I see what you're saying ............

OK then - a willing and energetic workhorse like Kevin Keegan wouldn't have come close to winning if he had played in the era of Platini/Gullit/Van Basten (ie the mid-1980s). He was helped by being surrounded by a very good Liverpool/Hamburg team for most of the 1970s.

I also feel that selection for the award has often been distorted by a single outstanding match or tournament rather than a consistently good twelve months (e.g. Stoichkov in 1994, single-handedly taking a limited Bulgaria team to the World Cup semi-final, or Michael Owen in 2001, scoring a hat-trick in England's 5-1 away win v Germany).

That was all I was getting at.

Of course you can do the boring old 'who was the best player of them all?' thing..............

Last edited by The Dean; Dec 2nd 2008 at 2:05 pm. Reason: i
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:20 pm
W10

Hristo was also banging them in at Barca when he won the award...a goal every two games at club level, la liga title, golden boot at the world cup...

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:43 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

The guy in 26th place should be the best.Funnily enough that's Platini.
You can't compare Mathews with Ronaldo
Sponsorship, training,diet,opportunity...........
In there time, thery were all great and should
enjoy the kudos of that fame.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Hristo was also banging them in at Barca when he won the award...a goal every two games at club level, la liga title, golden boot at the world cup...
He was a legend...
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:30 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
The guy in 26th place should be the best.Funnily enough that's Platini.
You can't compare Mathews with Ronaldo
Sponsorship, training,diet,opportunity...........
In there time, thery were all great and should
enjoy the kudos of that fame.
if you fancy a great read about 'the good old days' buy 'my father and other working class heroes', brilliant, brilliant book.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Spugsy
if you fancy a great read about 'the good old days' buy 'my father and other working class heroes', brilliant, brilliant book.
Who's the author??
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:26 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Who's the author??
Gary Imlach, its about his dad Stewart Imlach who was from Lossiemouth in Scotland and played in the 50's, won the cup with forest and was totally done over by the maximum wage and committees picking the players for scotland rather then a manager,

it's a great read - the scottish lads will like it as well I'd imagine.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gary Imlach, its about his dad Stewart Imlach who was from Lossiemouth in Scotland and played in the 50's, won the cup with forest and was totally done over by the maximum wage and committees picking the players for scotland rather then a manager,

Ah yes - now I remember. I like Imlach a lot - that book won a number of awards (William Hill Sports Book Of The Year, I think?) ..........

.......... and thank you for pointing out that he won the Cup with Forest......

........... who did they beat in the final, I wonder??
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Dean
Hidden? No not really - but I think the quality of the winner reflects the general level of football played in that era.

........ but OK - I see what you're saying ............

OK then - a willing and energetic workhorse like Kevin Keegan wouldn't have come close to winning if he had played in the era of Platini/Gullit/Van Basten (ie the mid-1980s). He was helped by being surrounded by a very good Liverpool/Hamburg team for most of the 1970s.

I also feel that selection for the award has often been distorted by a single outstanding match or tournament rather than a consistently good twelve months (e.g. Stoichkov in 1994, single-handedly taking a limited Bulgaria team to the World Cup semi-final, or Michael Owen in 2001, scoring a hat-trick in England's 5-1 away win v Germany).

That was all I was getting at.

Of course you can do the boring old 'who was the best player of them all?' thing..............

Didn't Michael Owen win 4 trophies and score the most goals in Europe that year?

didn't Stoichkov win la liga with Barca and finish runners up in Champions League (albeit being stuffed by Milan) in 94 too?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

It's sat at home on my bookshelf, cost a pound in HMV, meant to be a great read though...

Have you read the two Forest books? - The Damned United and the other one by Nottingham journo (cant remember the name), absolutely brilliant the both of them, great stories on Cloughie...
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

The worst in the list? Fabio Cannavaro by far...

Amazing Maradona never made it to the list in the 1980s... or back then was only for European born players?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:59 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Sky Blue
It's sat at home on my bookshelf, cost a pound in HMV, meant to be a great read though...

Have you read the two Forest books? - The Damned United and the other one by Nottingham journo (cant remember the name), absolutely brilliant the both of them, great stories on Cloughie...
funnily enough I read them both before this one, in fact my 5 a side team is called 'the damned utd'.

And aye, both cracking books.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.