EU migrant crisis

Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: EU migrant crisis

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

London is already an English minority city

N.
63% of Londoners are UK born.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

The majority of babies born in London have at least one parent who was not born in the UK.

I suppose you can argue over what makes someone English and certainly most of the non-native British I know (born in the UK but parents were not from the UK) consider themselves British as opposed to English. But the point is clear, London is not the "English" city it was just a few decades ago.

Originally Posted by shiraz1
63% of Londoners are UK born.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
The majority of babies born in London have at least one parent who was not born in the UK.

I suppose you can argue over what makes someone English and certainly most of the non-native British I know (born in the UK but parents were not from the UK) consider themselves British as opposed to English. But the point is clear, London is not the "English" city it was just a few decades ago.
Which world cities are the same as they were a few decades ago, should London be different?
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Which world cities are the same as they were a few decades ago, should London be different?
Canberra?
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe yes. Maybe no.

Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by al dente
Canberra?

What about it, size of Stoke on Trent with a Parliament.
Almost no indigenous Australians.

Last edited by shiraz1; Sep 7th 2015 at 6:42 am.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Melbourne and Sydney are world cities, almost no indigenous Australians, similar percentages born abroad to London.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Melbourne and Sydney are world cities, almost no indigenous Australians, similar percentages born abroad to London.
Is London better or worse for the change I wonder?
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

I can tell from your username that you are not of traditional English or British heritage.

Regardless of what your views are, the transformation of London over the last 30 years has been astonishing. Not everyone is happy about it and feels that the capital is increasingly isolated and disconnected from the rest of the UK. There's also fears over the willingness of many of the new "British" of different heritage to respect and abide by traditional British values.

I'm sure someone will come along and sneer or make comments about what constitutes British values but that is missing the point. There's been a huge change and the country is still grappling with the implications, both the good and bad. There's been some of the former, but there's also certainly been quite a bit of the latter too.

What about it, size of Stoke on Trent with a Parliament.
Almost no indigenous Australians.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp
Is London better or worse for the change I wonder?
It's certainly wealthier, better educated , with better schools and with a much lower crime rate than it had a few decades ago.
Not sure what measure you want to use.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I can tell from your username that you are not of traditional English or British heritage.
What a ludicrous statement.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 7:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It's certainly wealthier, better educated , with better schools and with a much lower crime rate than it had a few decades ago.
Not sure what measure you want to use.
Indeed, tough to measure. I just wondered if people think London is better or worse than a 20ish years ago.

Personally, I don't like the place at all. It's full of *****.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

In the 70's and 80's London was a run down depopulating city with crap schools and high crime.
I prefer it now.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 7:16 am
Account Closed

In the 70's and 80's London was a run down depopulating city with crap schools and high crime.
I prefer it now.
I still see London as generally run down with crap schools and high(er) crime.

It's just more expensive.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp
I still see London as generally run down with crap schools and high(er) crime.

It's just more expensive.

https://www.cfbt.com/en-GB/Research/...al-school-2015

http://legacy.london.gov.uk/images/n...2007-graph.gif

Murder rate hits 42-year-low in London | Crime | News | London Evening Standard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.