The EU after Brexit

Old Nov 8th 2018, 6:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default The EU after Brexit

Last night, a visitor and hardline 'Brexiteer' said that once the UK leaves the whole EU will eventually crumble. It's the first brick out the wall and it will all come down one day, starting with Italy apparently.

It wasn't what he said that I laughed at, but the manner of the delivery. Hoping it would come and enjoying this predicted demise.

So, question to those who voted to leave; do you care what happens to the EU after Brexit / in the future? Do you hope it succeeds and remains a stable local partner for the UK to enjoy a relationship with? Do you want it to disband and fail completely?
Old Nov 8th 2018, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The EU after Brexit

I think the political union is a doomed project long-term, which is one of the (many) reasons I voted for Brexit. It could survive a lot longer (a la Yugoslavia) but in the medium term I can't see any way in which such proud disparate nations, each with their own language, identity, culture, and political system will continue to support a set of monetary and political policies that are not in their interest.

Definitely I care about what happens. I'm a proud European. Brought up in Holland, educated in France, and worked several years in Spain. I would desperately like to see European nations succeed and grow. For that to happen I just think the EU has to dramatically reform first - and I don't see that happening unless other countries also leave.

I'd love to see the EU become more like the original free trade community, sharing standards, breaking down trade barriers and co-operating on research and crime. Anyone that wanted to join it then could, from Turkey to Australia to Ghana. So long as you follow the standards you can join and sell your goods to the EU. If you don't then you can't. You can join and leave when you like. A proper free trade agreement. I'd vote to join up for that any day.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 9:01 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Macron, however much I dislike the odious man, had something when he suggested a Europe made up of rings.

in the centre, stronger euro using economies, think more northern Europe, and further out, weaker, possibly not euro using countries, think southern Europe. On the outside, more peripheral trading countries like the UK, Turkey, Norway etc.

No idea how it would work but I thought the idea had merit. One of the problems the EU has I think, is the one size fits all philosophy, when it obviously doesn't.

what will happen to the EU after? Who knows?

Don't think it will come crashing down though.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 11:27 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I work in an office full of nationals of EU member states, and they all say the same thing - Brexit is only a front-page obsession in the UK. In continental Europe, nobody cares; the UK's decided to leave, they're sorry about that and they think it's a mistake, but c'est la vie. They're all agreed that the UK can't cherry-pick the beneficial parts of EU membership without the obligations and the Leave campaigners were either delusional or flat-out liars for insisting that it could, but apart from that, they just want the deal done ASAP and it's not the most important matter on their minds.

The EU isn't going to crumble post-Brexit because there *isn't* a popular groundswell of anti-EU opinion on the continent, no matter what the swivel-eyed loons in the UK will pretend. There's a degree of healthy EU-scepticism, yes, but that's an entirely different thing - that's all about adapting and improving aspects of the EU, not bringing it down.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 11:28 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman
I think the political union is a doomed project long-term, which is one of the (many) reasons I voted for Brexit. It could survive a lot longer (a la Yugoslavia) but in the medium term I can't see any way in which such proud disparate nations, each with their own language, identity, culture, and political system will continue to support a set of monetary and political policies that are not in their interest.

Definitely I care about what happens. I'm a proud European. Brought up in Holland, educated in France, and worked several years in Spain. I would desperately like to see European nations succeed and grow. For that to happen I just think the EU has to dramatically reform first - and I don't see that happening unless other countries also leave.

I'd love to see the EU become more like the original free trade community, sharing standards, breaking down trade barriers and co-operating on research and crime. Anyone that wanted to join it then could, from Turkey to Australia to Ghana. So long as you follow the standards you can join and sell your goods to the EU. If you don't then you can't. You can join and leave when you like. A proper free trade agreement. I'd vote to join up for that any day.
i guess I’m also hardline brexiteer and this post mirrors my thoughts exactly. Most of my brexiteer friends would also agree.

The problems is not our membership, it’s the club itself. I.e. once Britain leaves, EU has a fairly serious funding shortfall and will Need to go back to the richest for more money to feed itself.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 11:39 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Brexit doesn’t help the European project, but it’s the self-made crisis of permitting unchecked migration and the Eurozone that will be its undoing. If Italy does leave the Euro then you can kiss a federal Europe goodbye.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 11:54 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Brexit doesn’t help the European project, but it’s the self-made crisis of permitting unchecked migration
How do you square the idea of "unchecked migration" with Article 7 of the CRD?
Old Nov 8th 2018, 12:03 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Brexit doesn’t help the European project, but it’s the self-made crisis of permitting unchecked migration and the Eurozone that will be its undoing. If Italy does leave the Euro then you can kiss a federal Europe goodbye.
and this mirrors my 5houghts again. I’m old enough to remember when we signed up to join a trade pact, not a federation!
Old Nov 8th 2018, 12:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
How do you square the idea of "unchecked migration" with Article 7 of the CRD?
Unchecked migration from outside the EU.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 12:18 pm
Soupy twist

So presumably you're referring to the EU's policy on refugees? Since obviously, all EU member states have 100% control over their own immigration policy for migration from non-EU countries.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 12:22 pm

So presumably you're referring to the EU's policy on refugees? Since obviously, all EU member states have 100% control over their own immigration policy for migration from non-EU countries.
The majority are economic migrants, not refugees.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 1:34 pm
Soupy twist

So yes, you're referring to the EU's policy on refugees, as that's the only aspect of migration from outwith the member states which isn't entirely under the control of each state's individual immigration policies.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

To imagine that the EU depends on UK membership is to reveal profound ignorance of the reality of Modern Europe. Go and look. Visit the powerhouse that is reunited Germany. The successful economy of France. Marvel at the amazing resilience of Estonia and Slovakia. Wonder at what has been achieved in Italy.

Then look at Perfidious Albion and what is left of a once-great Empire.. What does it produce ? What does it export ?
Old Nov 8th 2018, 1:52 pm

So yes, you're referring to the EU's policy on refugees, as that's the only aspect of migration from outwith the member states which isn't entirely under the control of each state's individual immigration policies.
No, I wasn’t and no, it isn’t.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

The EU isn't going to crumble post-Brexit because there *isn't* a popular groundswell of anti-EU opinion on the continent, no matter what the swivel-eyed loons in the UK will pretend. There's a degree of healthy EU-scepticism, yes, but that's an entirely different thing - that's all about adapting and improving aspects of the EU, not bringing it down.
Well easy enough knowing how you feel 🙄

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.