Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Etisalat Internet security stuff.....

Etisalat Internet security stuff.....

Old Aug 18th 2008, 7:18 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Etisalat Internet security stuff.....

...I've got wireless but just realised I haven't put a password on, so anyone nearby can use it,

how do I secure it?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:09 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Etisalat Internet security stuff.....

You have to enter your router's config menu - it'll tell you how to do this in the instructions that came with it - and then find the security options. All you really need to do is choose a security protocol (avoid WEP if it's got it, go for WPA or WPA2 instead) and then choose a password.

If you want to add an extra bit of security you can switch off SSID broadcast. This means is that your router becomes "invisible" and won't show up on the list of available networks of anyone in range (including you), but as long as you know the router's SSID (its name - "linksys" or "Spugsy's router" or whatever) as well as the password you can still connect to it.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
...I've got wireless but just realised I haven't put a password on, so anyone nearby can use it,

how do I secure it?
don't do it! Be kind to those people (ahem) who do just that
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:30 am
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Spugsy

how do I secure it?
Hi Spugsy,

With Eeyore's advise you're fairly safe. But I wouldn't go for the cheap hardware on a wireless system (router and cards). Linksys is fairly good hardware and one of the favored brands here in Holland. Sniff.... An other little network my predator card won't pick up to use while in the UAE. But there are still plenty of so called smart people and companies around to choose from. Cheaper then using the hotels internet services.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

The set up on Apple Airport Extreme was more straight forward than any other set up I have experienced on other routers. Signal strength is pretty decent also
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:12 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
don't do it! Be kind to those people (ahem) who do just that
I was happy to but it seems to have slowed down a lot recently, I used to piggyback someone's when I first got here, it was very handy...
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:03 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbies
The set up on Apple Airport Extreme was more straight forward than any other set up I have experienced on other routers
That's Apple for you - it just works
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

matthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside, I have recently started using these: -

http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/...HomePlugs.html (I have two the FLA200 piggy's)

They work perfectly, and saves having to pay etisalat to come and move the router (villa is too large for the wireless router to reach where I now use the PC as well as connect using the laptop in other areas and the PS3).