Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Essentials ... that aren't

Essentials ... that aren't

Old Oct 14th 2012, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Essentials ... that aren't

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I walked away from a marriage leaving everything behind. I put 10 pounds in my pocket, packed my clothes and photographs etc and left. I left the business/money/credit cards. I was 34, when you can do that you understand that possessions mean nothing.
Exactly!
Old Oct 14th 2012, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goonerseba
Btw - would be interested if anyone, or anyone knows anyone, who has had laser eye treatment done. Any good or bad feedback welcomed.
I fried my eyes about 4 years ago and have not looked back since

Seriously, great op - Mrs Millhouse did it 10 years ago and all still OK. But, do your research and know all the risks you face... it's something you should do with your eyes wide open.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 7:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS
Where can you get the WD TV player??
There are plenty of other brands out there too...Patriot do one, Roku and Popcorn are other good brands.

It's just that I've got a WD one and know that the firmware is updated pretty reasonably and that there are firmware hacks out there if you want to do your own thing with it
Old Oct 14th 2012, 7:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
The problem with most the big ones is that the picture quality is quite poor, Unless you spend serious money 15k + . I would rather have a smaller but higher quality picture. I think Samsung are essentially the same as LG too?
Around my way, $1K gets you pretty decent quality stuff in the 55-65" range. I've a DLP though, but it's old now and looks great.

LG is pretty similar to Samsung, it's just the extras that get chucked in tend to be different, or the ease in which to get the extras is less of a problem with Samsung, where I am. It might well be different for you guys
Old Oct 14th 2012, 7:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by OleJanx
First time was a bit beyond my control. Second time it just seemed like the best option during a difficult time. As to doing it a third time , well, it gets easier the more often you do it....
Does put a different value on personal possesions, though. Easy come, easy go...
Timmy, is that you?
Old Oct 14th 2012, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Timmy, is that you?
No, I lost myself decades ago...
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:15 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Btw - would be interested if anyone, or anyone knows anyone, who has had laser eye treatment done. Any good or bad feedback welcomed.

My wife had laser surgery 3-4 years ago in China and is very happy with they result having disposed of her contact lens.[/QUOTE]

My boss had them done here--didn't go right, and he's had a year of trying to get them sorted. He'll never see as well as he did before. I don't think it was down to the surgeon--like most medical procedures, there's no 100% guarantee.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I fried my eyes about 4 years ago and have not looked back since

Seriously, great op - Mrs Millhouse did it 10 years ago and all still OK. But, do your research and know all the risks you face... it's something you should do with your eyes wide open.
Thanks Millhouse. I've been toying with the idea for a few years now but just keep putting off for all sorts of reasons - excuses really I suppose. Technology in this field has really advanced so theres no excuses now really. And i will deffo research before commiting. Ta
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Had mine done in Dubai last year. One of the best decisions I have ever made. No more losing glasses (or more importantly buying new ones). Life without window frames, etc, etc.

Was done for 6k AED all in for both eyes. Cheap as chips aswell.

Go for it!
Thanks Brains - PM sent..
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:43 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goonerseba
Thanks Brains - PM sent..
To be honest when you're asking someone to mess around with your eyes I would not personally be looking for a bargain. Actually I would probably pay a bit extra if it meant the risks were reduced.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
To be honest when you're asking someone to mess around with your eyes I would not personally be looking for a bargain. Actually I would probably pay a bit extra if it meant the risks were reduced.
I did google the surgery before committing to it, but your right, you don't want to take any chances with your eyes!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:51 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

I did google the surgery before committing to it, but your right, you don't want to take any chances with your eyes!
I just find it interesting that anyone would buy a Cobone/Groupon for it. Holy crap! Having seen how that goes down for other stuff I would be just slightly apprehensive about having some overworked surgeon near my eyes..
Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:00 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you have yours done?

I'd love good eyesight, but am absolutely terrified of having it done. Keep meaning to look into Moorfields as that sounds more reassuring than some clinic on the Beach Road.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
I just find it interesting that anyone would buy a Cobone/Groupon for it. Holy crap! Having seen how that goes down for other stuff I would be just slightly apprehensive about having some overworked surgeon near my eyes..
I missed the groupon by an hour, but went for an appointment anyway. Receptionist asked if I had a groupon, I said yes and they just put me through at 6k lol.

Meow - will check tonight, I can't remember other than it was Dubail Medical City or whatever it's called.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
My wife had laser surgery 3-4 years ago in China and is very happy with they result having disposed of her contact lens.
My boss had them done here--didn't go right, and he's had a year of trying to get them sorted. He'll never see as well as he did before. I don't think it was down to the surgeon--like most medical procedures, there's no 100% guarantee.[/QUOTE]

Agree it's not something to rush into. My wife did do a lot of Internet research about the clinic which was a top one, in our hometown Tianjin, and the op done by a machine guided by a professor! I cannot remember the timespan between the op and removal of the protective covering, but think it was 3-4 days. Fortunately it wasn't the blind leading the blind as I led her down the street to get a taxi to the home metro station!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.