Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Essentials ... that aren't

Essentials ... that aren't

Old Oct 14th 2012, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Essentials ... that aren't

Originally Posted by Scamp
That's ballsy, why so?
First time was a bit beyond my control. Second time it just seemed like the best option during a difficult time. As to doing it a third time , well, it gets easier the more often you do it....
Does put a different value on personal possesions, though. Easy come, easy go...
Old Oct 14th 2012, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Contact lenses.
Oakleys.

Can be a bugger in this climate (Riyadh) but hate wearing the gregory's so no choice.

yes, cheaper & perhaps more "with it" ones are available but the thread is essentials....that aren't.

Btw - would be interested if anyone, or anyone knows anyone, who has had laser eye treatment done. Any good or bad feedback welcomed.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 11:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by OleJanx
First time was a bit beyond my control. Second time it just seemed like the best option during a difficult time. As to doing it a third time , well, it gets easier the more often you do it....
Does put a different value on personal possesions, though. Easy come, easy go...
Fair play. Not sure if I could do it. I suppose you don't know until your back is against the wall.

Can't be easy. Bet you've got a some wicked stories.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 11:38 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I'm actually struggling to find something in my life which I term essential but isn't. The following really are essential to a safe, seamless, efficient life (just which I had one):
iPhone
iPad
4-wheel drive (not a 4x4)
Internet
Collar stiffeners
My laptop is essential to my work, but to my very existence? No. Very little is.

There are times when subsistence living on a (warm) remote island is very appealing...
Old Oct 14th 2012, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
My laptop is essential to my work, but to my very existence? No. Very little is.

There are times when subsistence living on a (warm) remote island is very appealing...
Cold islands are not without appeal. Stornoway appeals to me very much.

The way to walk away is to not look back, and don't think 'what if..' but think 'what now?'.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Btw - would be interested if anyone, or anyone knows anyone, who has had laser eye treatment done. Any good or bad feedback welcomed. [/QUOTE]

My wife had laser surgery 3-4 years ago in China and is very happy with they result having disposed of her contact lens.

Last edited by Jim Smith; Oct 14th 2012 at 2:18 pm. Reason: Correction!
Old Oct 14th 2012, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=OleJanx;10330148]Cold islands are not without appeal. Stornoway appeals to me very much.

My feelings are not quite the same as yours.

I think you have to perhaps look at how long you have been away from the really cold, damp, shitty driving wind type of environment! In my case I have been in the Middle East since 1978 and I have to say I have become a hot weather person and find the above mentioned weather type that prevails in my home islands pretty hard to take. In fact before I left home in 1972 I hated the long winters from about Mid April to Mid Sept which always included a real good dose of flu, which I have never had since I left. (Excepting the occassional 24 hour one) I guess if you are a rugged outdoorsman it could appeal to you.

Of course when I retire I want to spend a few summer months back home and also introduce my wife and daughter to God's own country! But spend a winter there, never!

So for me it's hot/warm island rather than a cold one. Each to his own.......

Oh! I am speaking as a Falkland Islander!
Old Oct 14th 2012, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Jim Smith;10330325]
Cold islands are not without appeal. Stornoway appeals to me very much.

My feelings are not quite the same as yours.

I think you have to perhaps look at how long you have been away from the really cold, damp, shitty driving wind type of environment! In my case I have been in the Middle East since 1978 and I have to say I have become a hot weather person and find the above mentioned weather type that prevails in my home islands pretty hard to take. In fact before I left home in 1972 I hated the long winters from about Mid April to Mid Sept which always included a real good dose of flu, which I have never had since I left. (Excepting the occassional 24 hour one) I guess if you are a rugged outdoorsman it could appeal to you.

Of course when I retire I want to spend a few summer months back home and also introduce my wife and daughter to God's own country! But spend a winter there, never!

So for me it's hot/warm island rather than a cold one. Each to his own.......

Oh! I am speaking as a Falkland Islander!
Falkland's are a bit too desolate for me, but would love to visit!
Old Oct 14th 2012, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Agree. If you want to hang loose, the two nearest points you can go are Santiago or Brize Norton. Oh! The odd passenger does stop off at Ascension Island too I believe. Didn't see anything to make me want to stop there as I passed through!

Falklands are good for wildlife photography in the summer though......
Old Oct 14th 2012, 3:20 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Btw - would be interested if anyone, or anyone knows anyone, who has had laser eye treatment done. Any good or bad feedback welcomed.

My wife had laser surgery 3-4 years ago in China and is very happy with they result having disposed of her contact lens.[/QUOTE]

Had mine done over 10 years ago in the states, no issues then or since, one of my better decisions
Old Oct 14th 2012, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

This business of essentials is interesting to me, as twice in my life I have walked away from everything I owned apart from the clothes I was wearing at the time.
Yes, slowly you start accumulating stuff again, most of it irrelevant crap you don't need, but really? Essentials? Nothing.
I have done that once. A very liberating experience
The only thing essential really is your brain...and to use it well.

Oh, and I took my passport and credit cards with me too.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alexa

I managed to keep hold of my passport, too! Credit cards went by the wayside...
Old Oct 14th 2012, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

This business of essentials is interesting to me, as twice in my life I have walked away from everything I owned apart from the clothes I was wearing at the time.
Yes, slowly you start accumulating stuff again, most of it irrelevant crap you don't need, but really? Essentials? Nothing.
Good post...You must have "high LQ" or superlative Life Quality!

What makes for a "high LQ" or superlative Life Quality? The answers are shockingly simple but profound and definitely not what society teaches us what "true success" is.

Thanks to Shiva & Scamp I'm becoming a Tedx-addict!
Old Oct 14th 2012, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa

I managed to keep hold of my passport, too! Credit cards went by the wayside...
I walked away from a marriage leaving everything behind. I put 10 pounds in my pocket, packed my clothes and photographs etc and left. I left the business/money/credit cards. I was 34, when you can do that you understand that possessions mean nothing.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goonerseba
Had mine done in Dubai last year. One of the best decisions I have ever made. No more losing glasses (or more importantly buying new ones). Life without window frames, etc, etc.

Was done for 6k AED all in for both eyes. Cheap as chips aswell.

Go for it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.