British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Epilepsy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/epilepsy-674012/)

shikra Jun 25th 2010 4:23 pm

Epilepsy

Hi All,

Just want to share an experience that recently happened,

Yesterday my friend had an attack of Epilepsy (FIT), and the problem was that I really didn't know what to do if a person is experiencing a FIT. Luckily we managed to find a doctor (it happened at the Corniche) and he told us to let him lay side-wise and take his shoes off so that the blood may circulate properly. After 5 minutes, he was back to normal, as if nothing happened, just with few signs of short term memory loss.
Then he told me that due to mental stress and physical tiredness it happened. Basically he has epilepsy, but experiences FIT whenever certain circumstances occur.

Has anyone of you ever experienced such incident? I felt fear and shock after a very long time in my life, as a very normal and healthy and young guy, talking to you immediately falls down in your hands and starts trembling with pain, and the worst thing was that I really didn't know what to do at that moment ... :(

Jim Smith Jun 25th 2010 4:47 pm

Re: Epilepsy

Originally Posted by shikra (Post 8657159)
Hi All,

Just want to share an experience that recently happened,

Yesterday my friend had an attack of Epilepsy (FIT), and the problem was that I really didn't know what to do if a person is experiencing a FIT. Luckily we managed to find a doctor (it happened at the Corniche) and he told us to let him lay side-wise and take his shoes off so that the blood may circulate properly. After 5 minutes, he was back to normal, as if nothing happened, just with few signs of short term memory loss.
Then he told me that due to mental stress and physical tiredness it happened. Basically he has epilepsy, but experiences FIT whenever certain circumstances occur.

Has anyone of you ever experienced such incident? I felt fear and shock after a very long time in my life, as a very normal and healthy and young guy, talking to you immediately falls down in your hands and starts trembling with pain, and the worst thing was that I really didn't know what to do at that moment ... :(

When I was working in Canada in 1977 we had a young lad called Elmer Harder (odd name?) who occasionally had a fit. Fortunately the Brit guy he was teamed with was 50 ish and was obviously experienced in handling such an incident. From what I remember he did much of what you was told to do and very quickly Elmer was on his feet as if nothing had happened. Apparently he was also certified to drive as long as he took his medication.

Experience is a wonderful thing?

Wawa Jun 25th 2010 5:06 pm

A similar thing happened to me while we lived in Abu Dhabi. My daughter was 16 years old at the time, and her seizure came out of the blue. Fortunately I was with her - she hit her head hard when she fell to the ground. The actual seizure lasted about a minute or so, and after that she was disoriented, confused and really tired.

It was frightening at the time as the seizure is generally accompanied by an awful sound which is the result of the air being expelled from the lungs. She was taken to hospital and underwent an EEG and it was determined she had epilepsy and put on medication. A few days later she had another seizure. The dosage was increased significantly and that was 12 years ago. While trying to find the suitable dosage she had a few nasty falls and twice required surgery as a result Its been years since her last fit but I think she will have to take these tablets for the rest of her life.

Always make sure there are people around when bathing, swimming, ironing or cooking etc etc. If your friend has another fit, put something under his head and put him on his side. He should seek medical help as it could happen again.

kittycat1 Jun 25th 2010 8:13 pm

I hope your friend is feeling better now?

I was working on a catwalk show backstage when one of my dressers had an epileptic fit, awful to witness, even worse we had to carry on with the show so we had a first aider help her while we had to work around her, I was sick afterwards and felt terrible that we couldn't stop the show to make sure she was ok. She went into hospital as it was her first seizure for years but she was fine but was advised not to work under such stressful conditions.

There is some first aid advice here for you.
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/firstaid

xxx

shikra Jun 25th 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks for the advises, all of you. I have gone through the literature and even talked to the same friend of mine who experienced seizure yesterday. There are two main reasons because of which it happens to him:

1- Stress (usually while working when you have lot of pressure put by others)
2- Not taking the normal required 8 hours sleep per day

He told me that this seizure happened after a long time, the doctor said if you don't experience a fit within 5 years, you are in the safe zone for a considerable amount of time. But unfortunately it did happen in between. One time he experienced fit only by looking at a certain picture, which he says that it felt to him like if the picture had a 'life' in itself and just after that he experienced a strong seizure.

Anyways, learned a lot from my experience. May we stay away from such disease and those who are suffering may get cured! :unsure:

coffindodger Jun 26th 2010 5:10 am

As a First Aid Instructor here in the costa del sand pit.
Please have a look at the web site from the Uk lots of good info as some nice pictures for the hard of hearing. :thumbup::thumbup:

http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/

coffindodger Jun 26th 2010 5:24 am

Just another thought wow !!! Two in less than 30 minutes !!!
If any one may be interested in First Aid Related subjects
Have a look at this UK web site.
It has all the normal people on Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics First Aid Instructors.
So if you have any questions to ask this is the place to ask them.
99% of the members on site are all from the UK, including little ole me and my Zimmer frame.

www.firstaidcafe.co.uk
It is FREE to join.

shikra Jun 26th 2010 6:22 am

Originally Posted by coffindodger (Post 8658242)
Just another thought wow !!! Two in less than 30 minutes !!!
If any one may be interested in First Aid Related subjects
Have a look at this UK web site.
It has all the normal people on Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics First Aid Instructors.
So if you have any questions to ask this is the place to ask them.
99% of the members on site are all from the UK, including little ole me and my Zimmer frame.

www.firstaidcafe.co.uk
It is FREE to join.

Thanks Coffindodger.

GuyinUAE Jun 26th 2010 10:20 am

My step brother suffers from epilepsy, although mainly Petit Mal fits. The main problem with him is he walks off while he's in the process with no direction or fear of danger. He was knocked off his bike as a kid and didn't remember a thing about it.
I've found just talking to him calmly, and gently restraining him (if thats possible!) and after a few minutes, he's back to normal. Once he can answer a question about Chelsea correctly, I know he's OK, but it can be frightening. On a particularly bad day, he had 7 or 8 fits over a few hours.