British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Is it enough? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/enough-773859/)

IndigoGirl Oct 7th 2012 9:53 am

Is it enough?

Hello everyone

We have been offered 42k per month and are very tempted to take up the position in AD. From what we have been reading this would be more than enough for the two of us however we have financial obligations back home of about 10k per month. Would this be feasible? We would like to live somewhere convenient to the airport and were budgeting on about 120k p.a. rental. Also would it be better to bring our household furniture and goods or would 42k be enough for us to start from scratch and furnish our home with everything from cutlery to furniture.

Thanks

Cypselos Oct 7th 2012 10:15 am

Re: Is it enough?

A net 32k a month isn't going to go that far between two of you if there's no other income. You will live OK on it once you're set up , but you won't save much, if anything.

Meow Oct 7th 2012 10:26 am

Info regarding cost of living is all on this thread on the main ME page...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762609

'We' have been offered 42k? A joint job, or is that the combined salary for you both?

As to whether you bring your own stuff partly depends on how long you plan to stay.

IndigoGirl Oct 7th 2012 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10317976)
Info regarding cost of living is all on this thread on the main ME page...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762609

'We' have been offered 42k? A joint job, or is that the combined salary for you both?

As to whether you bring your own stuff partly depends on how long you plan to stay.

It is only my husband's income - I will want to get a job but do not want to have to do so in order to just survive.

IndigoGirl Oct 7th 2012 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Cypselos (Post 10317967)
A net 32k a month isn't going to go that far between two of you if there's no other income. You will live OK on it once you're set up , but you won't save much, if anything.

Thanks Cypselos - your response is appreciated.

IndigoGirl Oct 7th 2012 10:54 am

Originally Posted by IndigoGirl (Post 10317994)
Thanks Cypselos - your response is appreciated.

We have gone through the 'Is It Worth It' spreadsheet but do not know how current the figures are - it does seem 'worth it' using the figures given however we now wonder - won't someone make the decision for us please!!! (I wish). What would be a reasonable salary for it to be worth it?

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 7th 2012 11:05 am

Lemme get this straight;

You and your partner combined / his on his own / hers on her own / yours on your own income will be AED 42,000 pm

You need to transfer home AED 10,000 pm right?

That's a big transfer home no? If it's a mortgage, can't you rent it out?

That to one side, 32,000 a month - 10,000 rent (you said 120k) = 22,000 pm

2 cars = 4000 a month

=18,000 a month

House bills = 3000 to be generous

= 15,000

Beer tokens = 15,001

=-1.

Don't do it

Cypselos Oct 7th 2012 11:21 am

Originally Posted by IndigoGirl (Post 10318002)
We have gone through the 'Is It Worth It' spreadsheet but do not know how current the figures are - it does seem 'worth it' using the figures given however we now wonder - won't someone make the decision for us please!!! (I wish). What would be a reasonable salary for it to be worth it?

What's worth?

Being away from friends and family
Meeting a whole new group of generally interesting and engaging people
350+ days of sun
6 months a year when you can barley go outside
Experience of living and working in a different culture
Experience of having to deal with ****wits both local and expat day in and day out
Easy travel
Not having the cash/holidays you need to travel back for stuff at home and still go on your own vac.

Ultimately you've got to try and put a value, plus or minus, against all of that and more in terms of what you can save while you're here, and what you'll get out of living here from a personal and professional experience basis, and that's a very personal thing no one can really help with.

That said, overall I agree with Scamp, but i fear he's underestimating the beer budget

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 7th 2012 11:24 am

In more serious mode now.

15,000 leaves you entertainment / food / flights / beer money.

That's not loads but not much when you consider you'll want to be saving some money from that too.

There are people here who live on a shit load less, my Mrs being one of them...

Do you have kids? If so, don't do it. It's not enough. If not, then it might be worth a go but tough to say without knowing where that money comes from etc.

IndigoGirl Oct 7th 2012 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10318044)
In more serious mode now.

15,000 leaves you entertainment / food / flights / beer money.

That's not loads but not much when you consider you'll want to be saving some money from that too.

There are people here who live on a shit load less, my Mrs being one of them...

Do you have kids? If so, don't do it. It's not enough. If not, then it might be worth a go but tough to say without knowing where that money comes from etc.

Your 'non-serious' mode made me laugh - such a small beer budget!!!:rofl:

We will get a flight back home every year and we have kids but they are grown up. The reason we want to send so much home is for our mortgage - it is a fair bit more than we need to but we would like to get our house paid for as soon as possible so we can start saving - retirement is not that far off for us. So we could cut the amount to send back by a bit if we had to. Saying that we do not want to just survive - fun is on our agenda too.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 7th 2012 11:36 am

Originally Posted by IndigoGirl (Post 10318050)
Your 'non-serious' mode made me laugh - such a small beer budget!!!:rofl:

We will get a flight back home every year and we have kids but they are grown up. The reason we want to send so much home is for our mortgage - it is a fair bit more than we need to but we would like to get our house paid for as soon as possible so we can start saving - retirement is not that far off for us. So we could cut the amount to send back by a bit if we had to. Saying that we do not want to just survive - fun is on our agenda too.

...and the 42k is total combined income or one half's income that you'll both live on?

Patsy Stoned Oct 7th 2012 11:41 am

Originally Posted by IndigoGirl (Post 10318002)

that was posted in June of this year so is very current.
If you can be more specific we can help more.
Is this for 1 job? Will you be getting another job? Will the company pay to ship your things out? Can you rent out your house in the UK? Will the company be paying travel allowance/car allowance etc etc.?
I think if you are in an apartment with just 2 of you and no kids would be ok then your household bills will be a lot less. If you don't have kids you don't need 2 cars, you can drop your husband off at work, if you're not working or if your jobs are close to each other share your car.
I think it is possible and you can enjoy yourselves.

Meow Oct 7th 2012 11:45 am

As Patsy is saying, much of it is down to your lifestyle and expectations. If you want a nice villa and to go out a lot, then you will spend way more than if you choose to live in an apartment and mostly stay home.

Don't forget that you coud be taxed on part of the income if you only stay in the UAE for a short while. Tax liability is dependent on your UK residency status as determind by HMRC.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 7th 2012 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10318064)
Don't forget that you coud be taxed on part of the income if you only stay in the UAE for a short while. Tax liability is dependent on your UK residency status as determind by HMRC.

Are there any issues with the sums of money being sent home here as well?

IndigoGirl Oct 7th 2012 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10318058)
...and the 42k is total combined income or one half's income that you'll both live on?

It will be what we are looking to live on - any money I earn will be a bonus - more beer money! :)