British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The End Of Britain??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/end-britain-790344/)

TGFKASE Mar 13th 2013 3:06 am

The End Of Britain???

Was having a read through a couple of Scottish Independence stories yesterday and came across this link...

Link here....

Initially seems alarmist, but the more digging I do, whether its their facts or the authors, the more I fail to see a chink their argument...

Thoughts...

shiva Mar 13th 2013 4:29 am

Re: The End Of Britain???

Not looked at the link yet but I am somewhat tired of the propaganda on both sides.

The unionists have been spouting on that the oil industry in Scotland is over despite last years record level of investment, new finds and updated estimates. A huge predicted new number of jobs over the next ten years and a predicted further record breaking year of investment for this year all make a mockery of the unionist stance on oil revenues.

That said the independents also seem to magic numbers out of thin air.

It's just a pity that both sides seem incapable of laying out rational fact based positions.

I for one would love to see an independent Scotland and believe that the numbers do in fact add up and would love to see a true union post independence. If the uk can be a part of the eu and have the ridiculous stance of backing the us on everything I see no reason that the uk and Scotland couldn't have a similar arrangement.

Unfortunately the unionist stance seems to be to portray Scotland as a little beggar nation under independence and the snp portray it as a global super power. Neither wil be true and both just turn people away from serious debate.

I do however wonder that ifnscotland is such a colossal drain on austerity Britain then why would Westminster be so keen to keep the union, somewhat incongrous as an argument that.

TGFKASE Mar 13th 2013 4:33 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10600420)
Not looked at the link yet but I am somewhat tired of the propaganda on both sides.

The unionists have been spouting on that the oil industry in Scotland is over despite last years record level of investment, new finds and updated estimates. A huge predicted new number of jobs over the next ten years and a predicted further record breaking year of investment for this year all make a mockery of the unionist stance on oil revenues.

That said the independents also seem to magic numbers out of thin air.

It's just a pity that both sides seem incapable of laying out rational fact based positions.

I for one would love to see an independent Scotland and believe that the numbers do in fact add up and would love to see a true union post independence. If the uk can be a part of the eu and have the ridiculous stance of backing the us on everything I see no reason that the uk and Scotland couldn't have a similar arrangement.

Unfortunately the unionist stance seems to be to portray Scotland as a little beggar nation under independence and the snp portray it as a global super power. Neither wil be true and both just turn people away from serious debate.

I do however wonder that ifnscotland is such a colossal drain on austerity Britain then why would Westminster be so keen to keep the union, somewhat incongrous as an argument that.

The link relates to non-referendum arguments... However, it may be used as a contradictory piece to the idea that we are 'Better Together'....

shiva Mar 13th 2013 4:38 am

Ah should have Watched the link.

Given the first two minutes ignore the above post.

Regarding the current global financial system. We are completely ****ed.

The crash solved nothing and put no measures of any worth in place to either rectify the situation or prevent its future inevitable re occurrence.

The arguments as to why I believe this are too many to mention but any system where the markets trade in more wealth and goods than actually exist or will exist for centuries is unsustainable. The closer you look the more ridiculous the system, we dodged a bullet this time by just inventing more money and giving it to the very people who lost what didn't exist in the first place, this may work a few more times but is ultimately doomed to failure the only question is when not if. My guess would be end of my lifetime or later but it will all collapse.

shiva Mar 13th 2013 4:41 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 10600423)
The link relates to non-referendum arguments... However, it may be used as a contradictory piece to the idea that we are 'Better Together'....

I've seen a few arguments that state Scotland has a much better long term future as an independent nation. You just need to look at the various indicators that Scotland is in recovery and the uk as a whole is not to see that that is already indicated

nonthaburi Mar 13th 2013 5:15 am

great video , you can't trust the c***s in the government or the wbankers !

You know when it all breaks down in the UK it will be nasty , look at the riots a couple of years ago . Thinking about some of the nasty places I used to live . Wouldn't want to be there when it kicks off , or maybe I would . Not every day you're going to get the chance to torch a bank !!

nonthaburi Mar 13th 2013 5:17 am

One good thing that night come out of it all would be houses going back to a level where normal people can afford to buy , especially in the SE.

Norm_uk Mar 13th 2013 6:11 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 10600464)
One good thing that night come out of it all would be houses going back to a level where normal people can afford to buy , especially in the SE.

The English will hopefully rise up and re-take England. Hopefully without disgracing ourselves.

I would hope the Scots would stay - and would hope the whole Union gets to vote on the issue. I don't think small states will serve anyone in the long term.

N.

nonthaburi Mar 13th 2013 10:34 am

not saying they're wrong , it all made a lot of sense , but having a big advert for their magazine towards the end of the documentary didn't do them any favours !

nonthaburi Mar 18th 2013 9:01 am

http://www.edmundconway.com/2013/03/...edy-of-cyprus/

so one of the things mentioned that might happen in the UK is now being done in Cyprus . The government takes a tax out of your bank deposits !!