British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Enaglish Premier League 08/09 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/enaglish-premier-league-08-09-a-554521/)

pauldxb Aug 11th 2008 7:16 am

Enaglish Premier League 08/09

There's less than 1 week to go until it all kicks off again :thumbsup: I cant wait ! The question is what teams will be the :thumbup: & what teams will be the :thumbdown: ?

League Champions ???? ( I think..... Man Utd )

FA Cup Champions ???? ( :confused: )

League Cup Champions ???? ( I think West Ham )

Relegation ???? ( I think Bolton, Stoke & Hull )

Do you Agree ????????

Spugsy Aug 11th 2008 7:54 am

Re: Enaglish Premier League 08/09

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 6667797)
There's less than 1 week to go until it all kicks off again :thumbsup: I cant wait ! The question is what teams will be the :thumbup: & what teams will be the :thumbdown: ?

League Champions ???? ( I think..... Man Utd )

FA Cup Champions ???? ( :confused: )

League Cup Champions ???? ( I think West Ham )

Relegation ???? ( I think Bolton, Stoke & Hull )

Do you Agree ????????

I watched the charity shield and portsmouth's penalties were appalling, I think they won't do as well this year, I think Villa could do pretty well, Spurs really could make the 4th spot as they have bought some great players, the Toon to finish mid table, just above sunderland and Boro,

and chelsea to win it, liverpool FA cup, league cup chelsea.

Relegation - west brom, hull and stoke.

lionheart Aug 11th 2008 8:03 am

If you ask again in 4-6 weeks, I will gladly offer my opinion. Right now, its too early to tell. What I can say is that I am very relieved that Man City didn't end up selling Corluka to Spurs or to anyone else for that matter. At only 22years old, he is already world class. We will be chasing that 5th spot.

pauldxb Aug 11th 2008 8:07 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6667882)
If you ask again in 4-6 weeks, I will gladly offer my opinion. Right now, its too early to tell. What I can say is that I am very relieved that Man City didn't end up selling Corluka to Spurs or to anyone else for that matter. At only 22years old, he is already world class. We will be chasing that 5th spot.

5th spot its possible

pauldxb Aug 11th 2008 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6667873)
I watched the charity shield and portsmouth's penalties were appalling, I think they won't do as well this year, I think Villa could do pretty well, Spurs really could make the 4th spot as they have bought some great players, the Toon to finish mid table, just above sunderland and Boro,

You dont think Man Utd will win anything ???? You think all 3 promoted tems will get relegated..... you normally find that 1 does ok & lets be fair its about time it was West Brom

Spugsy Aug 11th 2008 9:02 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 6667899)
You dont think Man Utd will win anything ???? You think all 3 promoted tems will get relegated..... you normally find that 1 does ok & lets be fair its about time it was West Brom

hull will sink like a stone, which is a shame as I ike phil brown, the manager.

I'm hoping man u wont no, I hope they get pipped for everything.

Cabbage Aug 11th 2008 9:11 am

Premier league: Man Utd

FA Cup: Liverpool

Carling Cup: have been instructed by t'other half to put Bolton, but he does live in a little bubble, believing that Bolton are a decent team. Never mind, suppose someone has to support them.

Relegation: West Brom, Stoke and someone unexpected like perhaps Portsmouth (not necessarily them, but someone who nobody expects to be there will be in the battle this year)

benzonar Aug 11th 2008 9:49 am

EPL - Manchester United
FA Cup - Manchester United
League Cup - Sunderland
Champions League - Manchester United

We'll start off our campaign next weekend by handing out another 6-0 drubbing of the toon.

BangleMan Aug 11th 2008 9:58 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6667882)

LH, are you having a laugh about Corluka !!!.............He's about as good on his feet as Banbi on ice.....you should anyone's hand off who is willing to pay money for him.....OMG, talk about light blue tinted glasses !

BangleMan Aug 11th 2008 10:07 am

EPL - Manchester United
FA Cup - Aston Villa
League Cup - Liverpool
Champions League - Manchester United
Relegated: Hull, Middlesboro, Stoke

As for my beloved 'Ammers.....

Curbs is doing a decent job but he's being undermined by those above him. I think the talk of Europe with the current squad and investment is a very tall order for any manager.

Curbishleys positives

* Loves West Ham
* Good successful EPL experience
* Gets the best out of average players
* Giving youth players a real chance
* Good tactician

and the negatives

* No European competition experience
* Struggles with the big time charlie attitude of modern day millionaire players
* Struggles with foreign signings
* Not a motivator
* Lacks media personality

It's no accident that Curbishley was once on the England manager shortlist. He knows the english game and it's players and knows how to play against other teams to scrap for points.

To be honest, I think he's already really up against it as we've failed to strengthen and still have a list of injured and unfit players going into a set of games we really need to be winning.

Think we need to win the majority of the "midtable / lower league within the EPL" games against the likes of Wigan, Newcastle, Man City, Fulham, Middlesboro, Sunderland, Hull, Bolton, West Brom, Stoke etc etc) for us to stay away from that drop zone this year.

BangleMan Aug 11th 2008 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6667873)

Sorry to pee on your chips Spugsy, but I really think the Toon will struggle this year. You were poor last year, and have had little or no investment / signings to speak of....

benzonar Aug 11th 2008 10:19 am

I think the one team that will push Liverpool down to 5th this season is Spurs. Potentially they could have a great season, although by the end of this week they may be a tad light in the forward department, but then they might snag Arshavin.

Hope Hammers do ok, but I think a lot will depend on Ashton's fitness, and their is always the danger that if he plays to his potential a big money bid will come in that they owners will cash in on.

BangleMan Aug 11th 2008 10:27 am

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 6668306)
I think the one team that will push Liverpool down to 5th this season is Spurs. Potentially they could have a great season, although by the end of this week they may be a tad light in the forward department, but then they might snag Arshavin.

Hope Hammers do ok, but I think a lot will depend on Ashton's fitness, and their is always the danger that if he plays to his potential a big money bid will come in that they owners will cash in on.

Spurs will flatter to deceive, and think they will struggle to score goals, as Berbatov will spend the season sulking if he doesnt go to Man U, and Bent can barely hit a barn door with a shovel of shite. Think they will really miss Keane, who I think will form a formidable partnership with Torres

There are already a lot of rumours that Spurs or Villa or Man U will be offering 15-20million for Ashton before the week is out.....

lionheart Aug 11th 2008 11:00 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 6668234)
LH, are you having a laugh about Corluka !!!.............He's about as good on his feet as Banbi on ice.....you should anyone's hand off who is willing to pay money for him.....OMG, talk about light blue tinted glasses !

Are you completely blind? Didn't you watch him dominate England and then play supremely well in the Euro 2008 tournament. He may not pull his socks up when playing against the dregs of Bolton, Hull or West Ham, but he can mark the likes of Ronaldo & Rooney anyday. So is Curbishley your brother? Why go on about him for no apparent reason? As for Ashton, he will probably get injured in the first month of the season and do bugger all. I do agree with your comment about Keano but don't see M'boro getting relegated. More likely Fulham or West Ham.:)

BangleMan Aug 11th 2008 11:09 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6668407)
Are you completely blind? Didn't you watch him dominate England and then play supremely well in the Euro 2008 tournament. He may not pull his socks up when playing against the dregs of Bolton, Hull or West Ham, but he can mark the likes of Ronaldo & Rooney anyday. So is Curbishley your brother? Why go on about him for no apparent reason? As for Ashton, he will probably get injured in the first month of the season and do bugger all. I do agree with your comment about Keano but don't see M'boro getting relegated. More likely Fulham or West Ham.:)

Oh what you mean like he marked the Middlesboro front line out of the game in the last game of last season when you lost by 6 or 7 eh ....?

Mention Curbishley for no apparent reason ? The way you mentioned Corluka for no apparent reason in post 3 you mean.....Is he your brother ?