British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Empty shops at MCC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/empty-shops-mcc-789774/)

Millhouse Mar 7th 2013 3:42 pm

Empty shops at MCC

There are loads of empty units at MCC right now -- it seems like a local partner has pulled out all of its franchises or something?

ukfb Mar 7th 2013 4:27 pm

Re: Empty shops at MCC

The map/guide has a few new stores listed as opening soon including Max Burgers which according to a Swedish friend is a great swedish burger chain.

M&S is on the list too.

I like Mirdif City Center - you can get pretty much what every you need without a five mile hike.

OriginalSunshine Mar 8th 2013 3:31 am

Is Decathlon still there?

Blue Cat Mar 8th 2013 4:15 am

Originally Posted by ukfb (Post 10590071)
The map/guide has a few new stores listed as opening soon including Max Burgers which according to a Swedish friend is a great swedish burger chain.

M&S is on the list too.

I like Mirdif City Center - you can get pretty much what every you need without a five mile hike.

Max is average, they have an outlet in Oasis Centre. Most of the malls have empty space these days, Wafi in particular :(

Millhouse Mar 8th 2013 6:50 am

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 10591322)
Is Decathlon still there?

yes.

commander Mar 8th 2013 7:32 am

Decathlon is shite. Its where non sporty people go to get sports equipment. Full of junk.

OriginalSunshine Mar 8th 2013 9:07 am

it's all relative. I've found good swimming kit (training aids) and costumes, and sea worthy life jackets there that I can't buy here in Oman. It's also good for kids football kids, rugby shoes, sports socks & shorts that again I can't find here in the right size or decent enough quality. I also bought an inflatable sea kayak that has done me well in the last couple of years.

if that makes me non-sporty, "W"hatever.....

typical Mar 8th 2013 10:01 am

Decathlon is good for occasional sports stuff (e.g. skiing equipment when you go once or twice a year). It's also useful for "real life" bike stuff like locks and lights.

The overlap between "things I'd go to Decathlon for" and "things I'd do in Dubai" is approximately zero, and it's more expensive than the UK branches too (which are in turn more expensive than the French branches).

The Dean Mar 8th 2013 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10589935)
There are loads of empty units at MCC right now -- it seems like a local partner has pulled out all of its franchises or something?

There are quite a few empty plots in Dubai Mall too, you may notice........

commander Mar 8th 2013 10:49 am

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 10591637)
it's all relative. I've found good swimming kit (training aids) and costumes, and sea worthy life jackets there that I can't buy here in Oman. It's also good for kids football kids, rugby shoes, sports socks & shorts that again I can't find here in the right size or decent enough quality. I also bought an inflatable sea kayak that has done me well in the last couple of years.

if that makes me non-sporty, "W"hatever.....

What I mean is it doesn't really cater for top end equipment. Agree they do have a wide range of mid level equipment though. We buy our kids sports gear from decathlon also but they don't have anything that I need for swimming, biking or running, but I am über pernickety when it comes to sports equipment.

commander Mar 8th 2013 10:51 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 10591693)
Decathlon is good for occasional sports stuff (e.g. skiing equipment when you go once or twice a year). It's also useful for "real life" bike stuff like locks and lights.

The overlap between "things I'd go to Decathlon for" and "things I'd do in Dubai" is approximately zero, and it's more expensive than the UK branches too (which are in turn more expensive than the French branches).

Which is why I buy approx 90% of my sports equipment online USA and get it shipped foc to my office in Houston. The savings are totally amazing.

Millhouse Mar 8th 2013 11:16 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10591694)
There are quite a few empty plots in Dubai Mall too, you may notice........

I never go there. Actually, when I posted this, I meant Festival City. MCC seems pretty OK.

Millhouse Mar 8th 2013 11:17 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10591753)
What I mean is it doesn't really cater for top end equipment. Agree they do have a wide range of mid level equipment though. We buy our kids sports gear from decathlon also but they don't have anything that I need for swimming, biking or running, but I am über pernickety when it comes to sports equipment.

er, a rubber hat? yes, I only use pro ones too.

commander Mar 8th 2013 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10591786)
er, a rubber hat? yes, I only use pro ones too.

Rubber? How low end.

shiva Mar 8th 2013 12:05 pm

You know that the whole mid life triathlete crisis thing is now a recognised phenomenon