Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Emirati women in the cockpit.

Emirati women in the cockpit.

Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emirati women in the cockpit.

Originally Posted by Alexa
No, I am not running away....other than that....all that Shiva said...exactly right, I could not have put it half as nice and polite as Shiva did.
I have lived in the ME 10 years now, and if what Shiva said is incorrect (it is 100% correct IMHO), then I want to ask you....why are Expats here???? Because the locals can't do what what Expats do because they are so small in numbers? Come on man.......

Sure, there are locals who do an excellent job,but how many are there who are employed because of their nationality and everybody is relieved they only come in to drink coffee and talk on the phone, as they otherwise would do more harm then good???

How may times have we gone to meetings, have waited for god knows how long for people to show up , to then leave and ask ourselves why we had to waste precious time to listen to small talk???

How many times have we sat on planes to wait for the elect few who were busy chatting and having coffee ,to then witness the fight over plane seats?

I could go on and on....as I am sure most of us could.

All that would not be that big of a deal , if there wasn't this ,IMHO, completely irrational claim of supremacy.

I wish the lady flying a plane all the best, and hope she will be an example to those lacking all that she hopefully has.
Hats off to you alexa for that post you are spot on with all of your assumptions however, there is a small minority of UAE nationals who hate this kind of behaviour and hate what it is doing to their reputation.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banter64
Hats off to you alexa for that post you are spot on with all of your assumptions however, there is a small minority of UAE nationals who hate this kind of behaviour and hate what it is doing to their reputation.
Yes, I know, it is the same here in Qatar.
There is so much fighting between the families/tribes, reputations to be kept etc....it is all very intricate and difficult....and those who want to do things have more often than not to stand back for those of a "more important"family.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know, it is the same here in Qatar.
There is so much fighting between the families/tribes, reputations to be kept etc....it is all very intricate and difficult....and those who want to do things have more often than not to stand back for those of a "more important"family.
Very similar here, I know of a high profile position that was given to a "boy" because of his family name and connection rather than to the other UAE national who was more than qualified and had a proven track record.

It is very sad when things like this emerge and it can only add to the negative vibes that the expats feel here, I appreciate that so many come here to save for their future and yet they sometimes see uneducated, lazy narrow minded people working for double their salary and not performing, I know that on a personal level, I get asked so many times why do you work ? you are a UAE national, the simple answer being that I want the best for my children, I want a secure future that is not reliant on the government. The other classic line is why bother coming to work you are a national no need o come they cannot fire you ................... well hot news off the press is that you can fire a national but those who dont care obviously dont want and dont need to work and they need to move over for those nationals who want and need to work and let them carry on boy/ girl hunting in the malls.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:45 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

No, I am not running away....other than that....all that Shiva said...exactly right, I could not have put it half as nice and polite as Shiva did.
I have lived in the ME 10 years now, and if what Shiva said is incorrect (it is 100% correct IMHO), then I want to ask you....why are Expats here???? Because the locals can't do what what Expats do because they are so small in numbers? Come on man.......

Sure, there are locals who do an excellent job,but how many are there who are employed because of their nationality and everybody is relieved they only come in to drink coffee and talk on the phone, as they otherwise would do more harm then good???

How may times have we gone to meetings, have waited for god knows how long for people to show up , to then leave and ask ourselves why we had to waste precious time to listen to small talk???

How many times have we sat on planes to wait for the elect few who were busy chatting and having coffee ,to then witness the fight over plane seats?

I could go on and on....as I am sure most of us could.

All that would not be that big of a deal , if there wasn't this ,IMHO, completely irrational claim of supremacy.

I wish the lady flying a plane all the best, and hope she will be an example to those lacking all that she hopefully has.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for joining in, Shiva, Banter.
Commander- nice picture.

Nobody ever said that all Emiratis were hard working industrious types. We are here because there is a skills gap- our skillsets are hard to find- if not impossible- amongst the local talent pool.

The waiting on a plane and wasted meetings syndrome is , as bad as it seems now, dying down. Very slowly, but it is so much less than it used to be.

I remember when it used to be the norm, 30 years ago.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 1:07 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
Thanks for joining in, Shiva, Banter.
Commander- nice picture.

Nobody ever said that all Emiratis were hard working industrious types. We are here because there is a skills gap- our skillsets are hard to find- if not impossible- amongst the local talent pool.

The waiting on a plane and wasted meetings syndrome is , as bad as it seems now, dying down. Very slowly, but it is so much less than it used to be.

I remember when it used to be the norm, 30 years ago.
The wasted meetings syndrome still happens on a daily basis at my work im afraid.

We get round it by organising another meeting as a fallback for when the one that involves the locals/Arabs falls through again..

Usually a weekly planning meeting by the expats.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
The wasted meetings syndrome still happens on a daily basis at my work im afraid.

We get round it by organising another meeting as a fallback for when the one that involves the locals/Arabs falls through again..

Usually a weekly planning meeting by the expats.
I think all it is really, is a clash of very different mind sets.
A local told me this, and I think it really explains it all in a nutshell "For us making money should involve as little effort as possible, if you can do that, then you get a lot of respect.....if you work hard to earn a living, you are not very clever".....please note, NOT MY opinion, it was an explanation given to me by a local.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:39 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas

When a new fact (ie: pilots graduate) emerges, it should challenge existing stereotyes, rather than get challenged itself because it does not fit with these colonial stereotypes. BIG difference.

I have heard first hand of the attitudes of some of the EK cadets - don't think they are going to be taking over the world - after all they can retire on full pay after 15 years. Also they are going straight from cadet flying to operating a 777 or similar - something that is not done in most other airlines. Worrying in my opinion.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:56 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
I have heard first hand of the attitudes of some of the EK cadets - don't think they are going to be taking over the world - after all they can retire on full pay after 15 years. Also they are going straight from cadet flying to operating a 777 or similar - something that is not done in most other airlines. Worrying in my opinion.
Indeed...the Gulf Air flight that crashed in 2000, was (and I got this from Gulf Air pilots) due to the pilot not being qualified to handle the plane.

http://www.keralamonitor.com/gulfaircrash.html

It scares the crap out of me. It's not like driving a bus.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by banter64
They have benefited and those who are educated to a high standard do feel that the roles that they are qualified to do are taken by the expats, now I know there is the generalisation as to well locals do not want to work but SOME do and they are not able to avail the salaries and or the benefits that are offered to expats.
I always had the impression, from speaking to some locals and expats in UAE, that if you are a local, educated and want a job you get a significantly higher salary than an expat. Even higher than Western expats, ie Brits, Americans etc... For example a Management job where an expat gets paid 35,000 DHS a local would be able to earn between 45,000 and 50,000 DHS.

This is what put me off getting a job in the UAE, hence ending up in the Magic Kingdom.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

This is what put me off getting a job in the UAE, hence ending up in the Magic Kingdom. (Quote from post above)

What makes you think it is different there?

This is what I have been told...yes, SOME locals earn more money for the same job as an Expat...BUT there are loads who actually earn less.

Makes them pretty upset. I do not understand why though, as we, if we live and work in our countries, earn a lot less too, generally (there are of course exceptions).
Old Oct 30th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

This is what put me off getting a job in the UAE, hence ending up in the Magic Kingdom. (Quote from post above)

What makes you think it is different there?
It might be also the case in KSA, but from what I gather there is a government/ National drive to pay UAE locals more. From my knowlege the salary levels in KSA are:

1: British/ American Expats

2: Other Europeans

3: Saudis

4: Other Arabs

5: People from the Subcontinent/ Asians
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:24 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Shaikh
It might be also the case in KSA, but from what I gather there is a government/ National drive to pay UAE locals more. From my knowlege the salary levels in KSA are:

1: British/ American Expats
10-12 hours productive work per day with a sound background and experience in the discipline concerned.

2: Other Europeans
10-12 hours mainly productive work per day with some background and experience in the discipline concerned

3: Saudis
6 hours per day including prayer time and time spent on the mobile chatting to friends with no experience but my dad is related to the Sheikh so can I have an office and a car

4: Other Arabs
Does my hair look OK and do these trousers make my but look fat. Oops, look busy...here comes the boss

5: People from the Subcontinent/ Asians
410 employed with no clue as to what is expected or what living conditions will be and treated like slaves but expert at looking busy while achieving little.
Let's be totally contentious:

Sad but mainly true.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Indeed...the Gulf Air flight that crashed in 2000, was (and I got this from Gulf Air pilots) due to the pilot not being qualified to handle the plane.

http://www.keralamonitor.com/gulfaircrash.html

It scares the crap out of me. It's not like driving a bus.
Or this

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...1030-ho0y.html
Old Oct 31st 2009, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

This thread officially sucks the big fat kumara.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.