Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

emirati group on facebook..anti expat

emirati group on facebook..anti expat

Old Jun 10th 2009, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: emirati group on facebook..anti expat

Originally Posted by al dente
I was told by a lady in an abeya and sheila that she had the right to park illegally on cross section (while waiting for her coffee to brought out of the cafe to her car) as it 'was her country'. Cars where blind and having to beep to check for oncoming traffic. When i challenged her she told me 'to go home to your own country' and that 'we don't want you here - Go Home!'. She embarrassed herself quite frankly.

I, however, fearful of an arrest, scoped the cafe for a backdoor! She drove off.
was this near to the orange villas?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

It is all bullshit, but can we at least recognise where it's coming from?

A generation ago, there were far fewer expats, and no unemployed graduates ( probably because there were'nt that many graduates ).
Now there are lots of us, and lots of unemployed (-able?) graduates.
The kids in these groups don't have PhDs in economics. Or Sociology. Or anything. Looking around, they see themselves as a tiny minority in their own cities. Not just an impression, it's statistics.

So, the situation ticks all the boxes- scared, uninformed, unworldly, conservative, facing financial uncertainty, easily manipulated.
And you get this kind of undercurrent in society.

But to say that you'll leave when you've milked it for all it's worth, that only reinforces the negative stereotypes. And would you feel good saying that? I wouldn't. I get paid a fair wage for a lot of bloody hard work. This is work that I can do, that cannot be done by many others, at least not many UAE citizens. I am proud of what I do, and the standard - as are most people, I believe. In spite of bluster and unpleasant rhetoric, EVERYONE knows that there aren't UAE citizens who are engineers, sonographers, editors, netwrok engineers, pilots, DBAs, etc etc.

When this changes, UAE citizens will start gaining ground in the stats, and expats will move on. No problem.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:06 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
But to say that you'll leave when you've milked it for all it's worth, that only reinforces the negative stereotypes. And would you feel good saying that? I wouldn't. I get paid a fair wage for a lot of bloody hard work. This is work that I can do, that cannot be done by many others, at least not many UAE citizens. I am proud of what I do, and the standard - as are most people, I believe. In spite of bluster and unpleasant rhetoric, EVERYONE knows that there aren't UAE citizens who are engineers, sonographers, editors, netwrok engineers, pilots, DBAs, etc etc.
I wouldn't go out of my way to say it, but if a local gives me any of that guff about it being their country to excuse their driving or such like, that's what I will say.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

It is tempting, but it does not make you feel better to say it. I have tried it, and it does not have a soothing calming effect (totally unlike warm aftersun lotion rubbed onto a sunburnt back).
By using the old "get out of my country" line, they admit that they are wrong, as they cannot justify their actions, and resort to an irrelevant ad hominem tactic.

Just like in Japan, social interaction without having been previously introduced is awkward and exchanges should remain neutral, stay away fropm controversial topics. Any confrontation/loss of face is unwanted and counterproductive.

In Bulgaria however, things are very different. Feel free to get into a public slanging match with any rough-as-guts truck driver , to the sound of the traditional gadulka in the background....
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Are we allowed to laugh hysterically when they say it, or even give a sarcastic Boo Hoo?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:38 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
It is tempting, but it does not make you feel better to say it. I have tried it, and it does not have a soothing calming effect (totally unlike warm aftersun lotion rubbed onto a sunburnt back).
By using the old "get out of my country" line, they admit that they are wrong, as they cannot justify their actions, and resort to an irrelevant ad hominem tactic.

Just like in Japan, social interaction without having been previously introduced is awkward and exchanges should remain neutral, stay away fropm controversial topics. Any confrontation/loss of face is unwanted and counterproductive.

In Bulgaria however, things are very different. Feel free to get into a public slanging match with any rough-as-guts truck driver , to the sound of the traditional gadulka in the background....
I see what you're saying. Might try benzonar's suggestion, though!

A Bulgarian taxi driver once said "Cheers" to me when I sneezed.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by benzonar
Are we allowed to laugh hysterically when they say it, or even give a sarcastic Boo Hoo?
Never tried that... you're allpowed to do whatever you like, but are you doing something you will feel positive about later? If so, then the odds are the others involved will learn from it too.
If you don't feel good, why do it?

Jimmy- if you have ever had an argument with that taxi driver, you could have both spent five minutes insulting each other, and then met up for a drink later, no worries. I think it's incredible, never got used to it.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:10 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GingerWizard
I really, really hate all this 'us and them' stuff- and I completely take on board Mata's point about us (expats) slating the Emiratis.

Okay so maybe their arrogance is a defence mechanism; payback to us, other Nationalities, for the years of treating them as ignorant Bedouins. We western expats have had years of education and the legacy of an Empire to nurture us.The Emiratis have had a mere 37 years to get off their camel and learn to ride a bike...
That we (until very recently) have enjoyed a good lifestyle and handsome financial benefits in their country is a bonus and not an entitlement even though it is our skills etc that build their country.Their young graduates;
indeed their young people,graduates or not, still need to be mentored by expats,at least for one more generation imho....so it would be really nice if we could negotiate a more civilised partnership.

I'm in a very controversial state of mind ce soir...
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
I really, really hate all this 'us and them' stuff- and I completely take on board Mata's point about us (expats) slating the Emiratis.

Okay so maybe their arrogance is a defence mechanism; payback to us, other Nationalities, for the years of treating them as ignorant Bedouins. We western expats have had years of education and the legacy of an Empire to nurture us.The Emiratis have had a mere 37 years to get off their camel and learn to ride a bike...
That we (until very recently) have enjoyed a good lifestyle and handsome financial benefits in their country is a bonus and not an entitlement even though it is our skills etc that build their country.Their young graduates;
indeed their young people,graduates or not, still need to be mentored by expats,at least for one more generation imho....so it would be really nice if we could negotiate a more civilised partnership.

I agree....but will they listen?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:23 pm
Banned

Taz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to allTaz Mirza is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GingerWizard

kin heck, 1200 members? I'm never going to Midriff or Zabeel now.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
was this near to the orange villas?
yep.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva

But, but, but - I have never treated anyone as an ignorant bedouin. If we all continue to look to the past it even gives credence to Commander's argument about not being able to get past the WWs last century. In the 80's my mum has told me that the older generation here were warm and welcoming. The crossover generation might have had more to argue about, rather than the younger generation and their 'perceived ills' of colonial mistreatment.

It would be great if there could be an improved relationship,and i do wonder what it would take to make it happen?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Until the government make moves to break down the cultural divide there will always be them v's us, if I were to ask you - how many of you here have actually socalised with an Emerati family or even a couple ? I think and I may be wrong but not many, therefore the perception of how they think could be wrong and vice versa. I have tried many times to intergrate my family with expatriates, it is difficult due to the pre conceived ideas that people generate.

the FB group is unfortunatley a small minority of the the UAE nationals and those as many of you have said from the "new generation", the UAE running the way it is will NEVER be able to survive without the input of expatriates.

If we take Oman and Bahrain as a comparision, both of these GCC countries enforce the national to work, hence the reason that you will see a Bahrani filling your car with petrol or driving a taxi, the same in Oman, Until the UAE realises that they are not above hard work then the stale mate will continue.

I personally find sometimes the "arab" bashing on here a little over the top but on the other hand I can understand the other side of the coin.

Expats will always moan and so will the locals I suppose if you like it say and put up with it, if you dont like it then I suppose the option is to leave.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

pauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to all

If we all left who would pay for the locals DEWA bills, the housing, the school fee's, dont they need us ????

I agree some expats should respect the local culture more but in the same respect the government should try & intergrate expats & locals a lot more, most locals that I have met are friendly enough & most of them have been educated in the UK so they already have a western feel on life without our influence
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

pauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by banter64
Until the government make moves to break down the cultural divide there will always be them v's us, if I were to ask you - how many of you here have actually socalised with an Emerati family or even a couple ? I think and I may be wrong but not many, therefore the perception of how they think could be wrong and vice versa. I have tried many times to intergrate my family with expatriates, it is difficult due to the pre conceived ideas that people generate.

the FB group is unfortunatley a small minority of the the UAE nationals and those as many of you have said from the "new generation", the UAE running the way it is will NEVER be able to survive without the input of expatriates.

If we take Oman and Bahrain as a comparision, both of these GCC countries enforce the national to work, hence the reason that you will see a Bahrani filling your car with petrol or driving a taxi, the same in Oman, Until the UAE realises that they are not above hard work then the stale mate will continue.

I personally find sometimes the "arab" bashing on here a little over the top but on the other hand I can understand the other side of the coin.

Expats will always moan and so will the locals I suppose if you like it say and put up with it, if you dont like it then I suppose the option is to leave.

I agree with your comments, but your comment about " Until the UAE realises that they are not above hard work then the stale mate will continue. " Is so true, my colleagues that work in DIFC have to employ locals which to a degree i agree with BUT most of these locals are A) not suited to the job & B) Not qualified so 9 times out of 10 they do no work day in / day out. International companies look at this as a form of tax, not good ! There is good & bad in all nationalities BUT in my opinion many locals feel protected by a ' nanny state ' which is no good as many of these individuals will never accomplish much if they have no desire to do so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.