British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Emirates summer flights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/emirates-summer-flights-793839/)

Millhouse Apr 13th 2013 10:20 am

Emirates summer flights

950quid a piece to send the family home this year - and I just paid 71,000 airmiles for mine. Utter madness. Thankfully our tickets originate in the UK so only cost about 600quid a pop.

jam25mack Apr 13th 2013 7:23 pm

Re: Emirates summer flights

Etihad have some decent deals at the moment.

Heading to KL at the end of the month. Got 2 tics plus 2 nights in a KL (4* suite) for 6K.

Also Mrs met some Etihad folk over the weekend in AD who have upgraded us. Happy days!

silversilver Apr 13th 2013 8:06 pm

I paid £640 return using KLM this Easter to fly Dubai-Scotland return. Emirates was going to cost me a whopping £800. Looking back at my KLM experience - if I have to eat beans for a month I will in order to fly Emirates. Never again will I go through the hassle of changing flights and waiting around at Schipol. Also the food and entertainment on Emirates is far superior.

nonthaburi Apr 14th 2013 3:50 am

Do people actually have to pay for their flights and that of there families ?

How ghastly !

nonthaburi Apr 14th 2013 3:51 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 10657697)

How ghastly !

oops , their

mentalist Apr 14th 2013 4:28 am

How ghastly !

Yes and some of us pay school fees too, muppet.

jam25mack Apr 14th 2013 4:46 am

How ghastly !

Not really.... we get a flight allowance. So if you get the ticket for less you have more money to spend in the pub when you get back! I usually get ~7,500 dibs per flight, so to the UK that's quite a lot of potential beer tokens to be saved.

As such this is a far better situation than just having your company book em. What's 'ghastly now'?;)

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 14th 2013 5:37 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10657723)
Not really.... we get a flight allowance. So if you get the ticket for less you have more money to spend in the pub when you get back! I usually get ~7,500 dibs per flight, so to the UK that's quite a lot of potential beer tokens to be saved.

As such this is a far better situation than just having your company book em. What's 'ghastly now'?;)

:rofl:

1-0

nonthaburi Apr 14th 2013 6:28 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10657723)

sitting in economy with some of the members on here :p

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 14th 2013 6:30 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 10657805)
sitting in economy with some of the members on here :p

Or rather sitting in business pretending you can afford it?

Irishbeekeeper Apr 14th 2013 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10657807)

:thumbsup:

Millhouse Apr 14th 2013 7:15 am

How can you tell if someone is on a featherbed package?

They tell you.

nonthaburi Apr 14th 2013 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10657807)

you're just jealous.......:rofl:

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 14th 2013 9:16 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 10657965)
you're just jealous.......:rofl:

Of what? 6 hours once a year to the UK and back?

OleJanx Apr 14th 2013 9:17 am

Originally Posted by silversilver (Post 10657336)
I paid £640 return using KLM this Easter to fly Dubai-Scotland return. Emirates was going to cost me a whopping £800. Looking back at my KLM experience - if I have to eat beans for a month I will in order to fly Emirates. Never again will I go through the hassle of changing flights and waiting around at Schipol. Also the food and entertainment on Emirates is far superior.

KLM used to be a good airline, but ununfortunately they linked up with Air France, who make Aeroflot look like in-flight ambassadors! As an aside, on of the best airlines I've flown on, bizarrely enough, was Balkan (Bulgarian Airlines.) Edible food, good flight staff, cheap, and Sofia airport less of a stress that any of the London airports.

With regard to Schipol, I'm always amused when puttering through duty free the big neon sign announcing 'DRUGS'. I do hope they mean it's a pharmacy...