British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Emirates set to slash fares to fill A380s (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/emirates-set-slash-fares-fill-a380s-723451/)

Bahtatboy Jul 3rd 2011 1:31 pm

Emirates set to slash fares to fill A380s

Emirates, the biggest international airline, said it will combat a profit squeeze from higher fuel costs by slashing fares to fill its 500-seat Airbus A380s, heightening competition for Air France-KLM and British Airways.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emira...ml?tab=Article

Must depend on the route: DXB Shanghai was chocka on Friday.

auzdafluff Jul 4th 2011 3:11 am

Re: Emirates set to slash fares to fill A380s

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9472441)
Emirates, the biggest international airline, said it will combat a profit squeeze from higher fuel costs by slashing fares to fill its 500-seat Airbus A380s, heightening competition for Air France-KLM and British Airways.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emira...ml?tab=Article

Must depend on the route: DXB Shanghai was chocka on Friday.

Also, I can't see them slashing prices for us lot traveling from Dubai. :(

The Dean Jul 4th 2011 3:12 am

Originally Posted by auzdafluff (Post 9473468)

I think they are reviewing the A380 routes anyway...........

typical Jul 4th 2011 7:26 am

Originally Posted by auzdafluff (Post 9473468)

Cheap flight to Bahrain, or if you've got a visa Saudi, India/Pakistan or Africa, and EK's long haul travel becomes a lot cheaper...

auzdafluff Jul 4th 2011 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 9473779)
Cheap flight to Bahrain, or if you've got a visa Saudi, India/Pakistan or Africa, and EK's long haul travel becomes a lot cheaper...

I might have to investigate it this Christmas. It all depends on how much those extra flight/airport hours eat into the time I can have with family and friends.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 6th 2011 5:12 am

Flight back from LGW was rammed full yesterday.

Had never flown Emirates before, would be hard pressed to fly with anyone else after that. Really good, some great stewardesses to look at and their entertainment shit is the best.

co durham boy Jul 6th 2011 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9477943)
Flight back from LGW was rammed full yesterday.

Had never flown Emirates before, would be hard pressed to fly with anyone else after that. Really good, some great stewardesses to look at and their entertainment shit is the best.

I keep away from Gatwick as the planes are usually older than the rest of the fleet , plus you can get the A380 to Heathrow , far better all round .

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 6th 2011 5:49 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9477978)
I keep away from Gatwick as the planes are usually older than the rest of the fleet , plus you can get the A380 to Heathrow , far better all round .

Oh god yes, I'd much rather fly Heathrow as home for me is Hampshire / Wiltshire and much easier to get to LHR.

Just finding the flights is easier from Gatwick.

Meow Jul 6th 2011 5:54 am

I always from from LGW as it's only 25 minutes from my parents. I prefer it as it's a much smaller airport and not as ghastly as Hellrow.

I'm surprised the flight was full Scamp. When I flew back a couple of weeks ago the whole plane was half empty. There were only about 6 of us in Business as well. Best service ever. :)

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 6th 2011 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9478003)
I always from from LGW as it's only 25 minutes from my parents. I prefer it as it's a much smaller airport and not as ghastly as Hellrow.

I'm surprised the flight was full Scamp. When I flew back a couple of weeks ago the whole plane was half empty. There were only about 6 of us in Business as well. Best service ever. :)

Yeah, I was surprised too, but the bird next to me was flying to Bangkok and when we got off a bus from the plane (parked miles from the terminal) most people seemed to head for transfers instead of arrivals.

co durham boy Jul 6th 2011 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9478012)
Yeah, I was surprised too, but the bird next to me was flying to Bangkok and when we got off a bus from the plane (parked miles from the terminal) most people seemed to head for transfers instead of arrivals.

Only a small percentage exit at Dubai . Dubai is just the hub, most people on the flight are transfering through.

The last 2 times i've flown Qatar Airways from London to Doha i've been the only person on the flight to terminate in Doha.

That tells you even more...!

typical Jul 6th 2011 7:18 am

Doha is such a pain to transit in economy though. Buses the whole way, ugh.

(Flew to the UK from Vietnam for 36 hours for wifey's birthday - QR had the best times but business was way too expensive...)

Pondering taking the big bird back from Bangkok (er, that's the A380...) tonight.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 6th 2011 7:33 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9478139)
Only a small percentage exit at Dubai . Dubai is just the hub, most people on the flight are transfering through.

The last 2 times i've flown Qatar Airways from London to Doha i've been the only person on the flight to terminate in Doha.

That tells you even more...!

It surprised me, but either way Emirates get their fill and had a full flight from London.

I knew Emirates were good (I know others say Qatar and Etihad are great too) but they stand heads above Virgin and BA for that flight. I watched a film, slept, got woken up for grub twice and watched a documentary on Seve. All washed down with a great supply of scotch.

Airmiles make it worth picking one and sticking and Emirates will be the one for me.

auzdafluff Jul 6th 2011 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9478003)

Flying business when it's empty is always amazing. I remember being the only one in business flying from Dubai to Moscow with Aeroflot. I've never been waited on so much in my life :p

typical Jul 6th 2011 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9478190)
I knew Emirates were good (I know others say Qatar and Etihad are great too) but they stand heads above Virgin and BA for that flight.

Hmm, I wouldn't go as far as saying EK is heads above BA - the problem with EK is the inconsistency. When you get a very bad EK crew, you really know about it.

I'd rather fly EK First but BA Business, and you can often get BA Premium Economy for not much more than Emirates Economy. They say the new Premium Economy is already on the Dubai route but I've yet to see it...

Also, Skywards has started to really suck.