British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Emirates Post - Worst in The World? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/emirates-post-worst-world-554507/)

Bison Aug 11th 2008 6:10 am

Emirates Post - Worst in The World?

My mother recently paid around 40 Whole Pounds to send my new phone over to Dubai (Royal Mail -Parcelforce 2/3 day door to door). only for me to end up having to call Emirates Post to find out where the hell it was after 10 days.

I called Jumeirah post office who told me the package was there and that I had to collect it as they do not deliver. I explained we had paid for a door to door service and they said they can only do that if it is Express post (Which it was and I subsequently explained this) After they ran out of excuses they tried to pass me on to someone else and when that didn't work they hung up!!

To my surprise (and one thing they did right) they called me back (The guys said sorry the line cut off) and told me that my package was in fact not in Jumeirah but in Karama Post Office, he gave me the telephone number of the call centre and said that I would need to speak to them (here we go again).

I called up the PO call centre to be advised that if I paif 15 Dirhams that they would deliver the item to me within 2 days, I was informed that someone would call me to get my location and details for delivery.

The next day after still not recieving the phone call, I started to get a bit peed off with the whole thing and called the woman at the call centre back and starting having a full on eppy. I was then told by the manager that the woman who said my package could be delivered had in fact mis-informed me (what a surprise) and that my package would have to be collected as it was in the customs department at Karama and only I could go and collect it. I finally gave up the idea of having a postal service deliver my mail and as I wanted my new phone so badly, decided to go and collect it myself. It couldn't be that hard right?

I Get to the post office and went to the customs area with the collection slip that I had now aquired and handed it to the local guy only to be informed that as it was being delivered to my companies address, I had to be an 'official post collector' for the company and that as I wasn't I would not be able to collect the item (I was ready to run in front of a speeding truck at this point). The official person it turned out had left our company and I explained this to the customs guy and after a bit of a sales pitch and some charm he let me take the item after showing him my company ID and pointing out that the item was actually addressed to me.

All in all what a nightmare! I can't believe they do not deliver post in this country, that's bad enough, but to then have to go through all that crap that followed was beyond a joke, I mean why can't these people do simple tasks that a 4 year old could do back home?

Angry Bison :curse:

Charismatic Aug 11th 2008 7:28 am

Re: Emirates Post - Worst in The World?

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 6667695)
I mean why can't these people do simple tasks that a 4 year old could do back home?

Inadequate funding and poor management?

pauldxb Aug 11th 2008 7:32 am

Even worse than Emirates Post has to be the banking system, its beyond a joke :curse:

Bison Aug 11th 2008 7:34 am

Inadequate funding and poor management?
I'd say, lack of intelligence, laziness, no common sense, and backwards thinking or no thinking at all?

:mad:

Fairydust Aug 11th 2008 7:36 am

Im very surprised you didn't have to pay customs any money - I have the couple of times Ive had to go and collect something

Spugsy Aug 11th 2008 7:49 am

My mother recently paid around 40 Whole Pounds to send my new phone over to Dubai (Royal Mail -Parcelforce 2/3 day door to door). only for me to end up having to call Emirates Post to find out where the hell it was after 10 days.

I called Jumeirah post office who told me the package was there and that I had to collect it as they do not deliver. I explained we had paid for a door to door service and they said they can only do that if it is Express post (Which it was and I subsequently explained this) After they ran out of excuses they tried to pass me on to someone else and when that didn't work they hung up!!

To my surprise (and one thing they did right) they called me back (The guys said sorry the line cut off) and told me that my package was in fact not in Jumeirah but in Karama Post Office, he gave me the telephone number of the call centre and said that I would need to speak to them (here we go again).

I called up the PO call centre to be advised that if I paif 15 Dirhams that they would deliver the item to me within 2 days, I was informed that someone would call me to get my location and details for delivery.

The next day after still not recieving the phone call, I started to get a bit peed off with the whole thing and called the woman at the call centre back and starting having a full on eppy. I was then told by the manager that the woman who said my package could be delivered had in fact mis-informed me (what a surprise) and that my package would have to be collected as it was in the customs department at Karama and only I could go and collect it. I finally gave up the idea of having a postal service deliver my mail and as I wanted my new phone so badly, decided to go and collect it myself. It couldn't be that hard right?

I Get to the post office and went to the customs area with the collection slip that I had now aquired and handed it to the local guy only to be informed that as it was being delivered to my companies address, I had to be an 'official post collector' for the company and that as I wasn't I would not be able to collect the item (I was ready to run in front of a speeding truck at this point). The official person it turned out had left our company and I explained this to the customs guy and after a bit of a sales pitch and some charm he let me take the item after showing him my company ID and pointing out that the item was actually addressed to me.

All in all what a nightmare! I can't believe they do not deliver post in this country, that's bad enough, but to then have to go through all that crap that followed was beyond a joke, I mean why can't these people do simple tasks that a 4 year old could do back home?

same old story mate, I sent my MAc from the UK over, the englishb loke came, chatted, packaged it all up, weighed it, all done.

It got here 2 days late, they called up and said they were at the hotel and I explained to them I had said I was at work so they'd have to come they later, so he said he'd come tomorrow, I called him and nothing, then he arrived 4 hours late at the hotel again, he rang me so I came round, and eventually got it - he had carried it up 3 flights of stairs and if he;d dropped it I would have lost so much work, that was through DHL and it cost me £200,

oh and no-one told me that I aslo had to pay £85 to the guy for customs charge for bringing it into this country.

Cry haddock Aug 11th 2008 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 6667829)
I'd say, lack of intelligence, laziness, no common sense, and backwards thinking or no thinking at all?

:mad:

Common sense aint that common

Inselaffen Aug 13th 2008 4:49 pm

my mother set me a small parcel early in April for my birthday at the begining of may. i received it at the end on June!

Jeeper Aug 28th 2008 7:31 am

And I thought these things only happened to me.:blink:

MissDemeanor Aug 28th 2008 8:17 am

I do miss getting up in the morning to all the crap mail,and the flyers for the local chinese take-away!!....you just dont appreciate it til its gone!

Madam Medusa Aug 28th 2008 8:25 am

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 6722908)
I do miss getting up in the morning to all the crap mail,and the flyers for the local chinese take-away!!....you just dont appreciate it til its gone!

my 3 year old freaked when the postman put letters through the post box whilst we were home...he had no idea what was happening, lol...

MM, xx

MissDemeanor Aug 28th 2008 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6722927)
my 3 year old freaked when the postman put letters through the post box whilst we were home...he had no idea what was happening, lol...

MM, xx

lol...aah,bless him!