British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Emirates to fly the A380 on Manchester route. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/emirates-fly-a380-manchester-route-662024/)

littlejimmy Mar 31st 2010 11:56 am

Emirates to fly the A380 on Manchester route.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/58493...-to-manchester

I'll have a bit of that. I'd love to have a go on that plane.

The Dean Mar 31st 2010 12:12 pm

Re: Emirates to fly the A380 on Manchester route.

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 8462567)
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/58493...-to-manchester

I'll have a bit of that. I'd love to have a go on that plane.

It's a fantastic plane - and very quiet. I go to/from Dubai-Sydney on it.

But Manchester? It's known more than anything else as a large load carrier - is EK's business on the Manchester route really that good?

littlejimmy Mar 31st 2010 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8462599)

But Manchester? It's known more than anything else as a large load carrier - is EK's business on the Manchester route really that good?

Obviously it is. They wouldn't do it unless it made business sense, would they?

Bonny Boy Mar 31st 2010 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8462599)

EK out of Manchester is very popular with people connecting onwards to the Far East and Aus.

As are Etihad and Qatar Airways.

London Airways of course offers nothing long haul to the east from Manchester.

The Dean Mar 31st 2010 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 8462615)
Obviously it is. They wouldn't do it unless it made business sense, would they?

Haven't you ever heard of a bad business decision? This could very well turn out to be one, you know...........

typical Mar 31st 2010 3:44 pm

Does this mean they'll take it off the Jeddah route, I wonder...

coffindodger Mar 31st 2010 4:32 pm

Word out on the street, is that the load factors are rather high on this route, not a full load every time but, maybe a business sense to add in a first class service on this route.
Instead of just a Business and basic cattle class, as it is at the moment.

The Dean Mar 31st 2010 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by coffindodger (Post 8463115)
Word out on the street, is that the load factors are rather high on this route, not a full load every time but, maybe a business sense to add in a first class service on this route.
Instead of just a Business and basic cattle class, as it is at the moment.

Fascinating.............. Emirates are putting a great deal of faith on high volumes of passenger traffic between two major centes in the UK (LHR is also served by an A380) and Dubai...........

........... between one broken economy and another, in fact............. :huh:

Meow Mar 31st 2010 5:01 pm

Does this mean we'll get more Mancs in Dubai?

-

The Dean Mar 31st 2010 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8463172)

-

Only first-class ones............ :unsure:

Millhouse Mar 31st 2010 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8463172)

-

We can only pray that it's export business only and that the planes return to Dubai empty.

littlejimmy Mar 31st 2010 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8462964)
Haven't you ever heard of a bad business decision? This could very well turn out to be one, you know...........

And people tell me to think more positively...

expat.brat Mar 31st 2010 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8463141)
Fascinating.............. Emirates are putting a great deal of faith on high volumes of passenger traffic between two major centes in the UK (LHR is also served by an A380) and Dubai...........

........... between one broken economy and another, in fact............. :huh:

please dont try to sound knowledgable about something you clearly know very little about. there may or may not be huge vols of traffic between man and dxb, however many passengers will use this service to connect to many other points in africa, the far east, and beyond.

so it's really lovely and clever of you to point out how 'broken' both economies are, however, that piece of info has limited relevance to the launch of this new service.

CeeBee Mar 31st 2010 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by expat.brat (Post 8463494)
please dont try to sound knowledgable about something you clearly know very little about. there may or may not be huge vols of traffic between man and dxb, however many passengers will use this service to connect to many other points in africa, the far east, and beyond.

so it's really lovely and clever of you to point out how 'broken' both economies are, however, that piece of info has limited relevance to the launch of this new service.

Are you serious? I often take this flight and the night time one in particular is ALWAYS packed. I must have taken this flight at least 10 times and pretty much every time it heaving. However, this is the major connecting flight for the rest of the world. Lands at around 7am then most people jog on elsewhere. Its a fantastic business decision from Emirates. With only a limited number of business seats I think this service will do very well.

You'd be surprised at how far people travel within the UK to get the Manchester flight.

The Dean Mar 31st 2010 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by expat.brat (Post 8463494)

Point taken, but that's still a bold gamble to put an A380 on.

Emirates reminds me of Dubai three years ago - onwards and upwards, sustainable business model, cannot fail, 2000 more cabin crew this year etc etc...... I wish them luck.